Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2022, 04:09 AM

325 posts, read 203,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Would the same be true for Orlando and Tampa?
I'm not super familiar with the area, but based off what I see on google maps... if Lakeland is growing east and fills the gap between Orlando, I can definitely see it being the same deal there. I think they're about the same distance apart as SA and Austin too. Commuting patterns are a factor too I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 06:20 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
If you’re going to be jumping 50 miles, Durham to Greensboro are pretty close.
I was thinking the same but the metros are smaller, so less exurban growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
I'm not super familiar with the area, but based off what I see on google maps... if Lakeland is growing east and fills the gap between Orlando, I can definitely see it being the same deal there. I think they're about the same distance apart as SA and Austin too. Commuting patterns are a factor too I guess.
They are practically the same exact difference apart, with extremely similar metro area sizes.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:06 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
If you’re going to be jumping 50 miles, Durham to Greensboro are pretty close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I was thinking the same but the metros are smaller, so less exurban growth.
I wouldn't be so sure about there not being as much exurban growth between the Triangle and Triad in NC. Development along I40 from Raleigh on the east to Winston-Salem on the west is daisy-chained in a very similar way to that along I35 between Austin and San Antonio.

That said, I am not one to promote gobbling up land and including far-flung population centers just to make a metro seem larger than it is. There are clusters of cities that make sense being considered in the same metro, but neither Raleigh+Greensboro nor Austin+San Antonio seem to make much sense to me right now. I'd look for a Miami>West Palm Beach type of continuous development before considering them a combined metro.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:14 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Raleigh getting back Durham and Harnett/Lee County are first steps. Then Alamance. Those seem doable in the next decade or so. The Triad is step or three too far.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:25 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Closer to Austin than San Antonio is Killeen/Temple, which has 500k people and does function as an Austin exurb at this point. I'm kind of surprised that isn't already a CSA. There are also some smaller counties that could make a CSA like Burnet, though that wouldn't add as much population.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Raleigh getting back Durham and Harnett/Lee County are first steps. Then Alamance. Those seem doable in the next decade or so. The Triad is step or three too far.
From what I have understood, the separation of Raleigh and Durham into 2 MSAs in 2003 really messed up the CSA as well by splitting up the commutes from both Harnett and Lee counties to Raleigh and Durham to the point where the data pushed them to Fayetteville. If Raleigh and Durham get recombined into a single MSA, then Harnett and Lee could jump back into the Triangle's CSA. As it stands, and oddly inconsistent to how the Triangle has actually grown, it's Durham and Fayetteville that got counties added to their MSAs while Raleigh's MSA remains laughably small geographically for one of the fastest growing MSAs in the country. To put it into context, Raleigh's MSA is a little less than half the physical size of Austin's, and Austin's is pretty small in comparison to many other rapidly growing MSAs.
That all said, the Triangle ultimately doesn't need additional counties to reach 3 Million.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
To put it into context, Raleigh's MSA is a little less than half the physical size of Austin's, and Austin's is pretty small in comparison to many other rapidly growing MSAs.
The Raleigh-Durham CSA is smaller in population and bigger in area than Austin's MSA, so I'm not sure if I get your point?
Anytime two cities are butting into each other there will be some as counties that are hard to be classify.

Old 01-23-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
The Raleigh-Durham CSA is smaller in population and bigger in area than Austin's MSA, so I'm not sure if I get your point?
Anytime two cities are butting into each other there will be some as counties that are hard to be classify.
Raleigh's MSA is less than half the physical size of Austin's MSA. Read what I wrote again. I didn't compare CSA to MSA.

Old 01-23-2022, 02:43 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Wake-Durham have the strongest commuting ties of any two counties in NC. They are in separate metros through a quirk in the OMB definition. Using the original Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill MSA lines from 2002 would be around 2 million in 3500 sq miles (roughly the same density as Austin’s 2.2 million in 4200 sq miles). The open question is who would get added to the original 6 counties if Raleigh-Durham MSA did recombine. Harnett, Lee, Granville, Person, and Vance have all moved in-and-out depending on tweaks to the rules. Alamance is a likely pick up given commuting patters today. Hard to know what would be the end result of a new MSA. It would be different than the CSA though out of necessity.

Old 01-23-2022, 03:15 PM

676 posts, read 492,754 times
Quote:
Wake-Durham have the strongest commuting ties of any two counties in NC. They are in separate metros through a quirk in the OMB definition. Using the original Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill MSA lines from 2002 would be around 2 million in 3500 sq miles (roughly the same density as Austin’s 2.2 million in 4200 sq miles). The open question is who would get added to the original 6 counties if Raleigh-Durham MSA did recombine. Harnett, Lee, Granville, Person, and Vance have all moved in-and-out depending on tweaks to the rules. Alamance is a likely pick up given commuting patters today. Hard to know what would be the end result of a new MSA. It would be different than the CSA though out of necessity.

The Triad always stays losing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City