Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sunset Strip or South Beach
The Sunset Strip 26 35.14%
South Beach 48 64.86%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 AM

611 posts, read 1,600,204 times

Advertisements

Why is there an argument over water temps of beaches in the first place? Last time I checked, the sunset strip is not a beach nor is it anywhere near one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Yup. The hallmark of homerism is the inability to formulate a realistic viewpoint about your hometown. That's why you rarely hear a rational response from the LA crowd no matter which flaw is discussed.

If you mention the 2am curfew, you'll hear that "partying after 2 is for coked up douchebags who can't get laid"

If you talk about the cold ocean water, the response is "we like cold water... 68F is sooooo refreshing"

If it's about the strip mall littered landscape, you hear that "strip malls are crammed with amenities and provide functional walkability".

You get the idea.
More strawman arguments. How sad. I don't need to play that game , ou actually have said that L.A. is not walkable AT ALL, that it has crappy nightlife, that its beaches are crap, and it has NO public transit(all dumb and innacurate). You've said that presence of SFHs in L.A.'s densest districts prevents it from being urban(dumber). And now strip malls are not not even funtionally walkable(dumbest). Pretty much everything you post about L.A. is wrong. Always.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 03-03-2012 at 01:42 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Why is there an argument over water temps of beaches in the first place? Last time I checked, the sunset strip is not a beach nor is it anywhere near one.
Long story short: the New Yawker said Miami offers a more unique experience compared to L.A., I disagreed, said they share similarities. The next thing I knew--L.A.'s beaches are on the level of Vancouver's, 68 degree water requires a wetsuit, L.A.'s diversity is homogenous, and our live music scene can easily be replicated in any city. If you live 3 blocks from a strip mall--better warm up the car. It's gonna be a long drive.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:21 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
Having lived in California and now gladly back in South Florida LA's nightlife can't compete with South Beach in my opinion. 2AM really! South Beach has better architecture, beaches, and is more walkable. California beaches are good to look at and maybe if your into surfing..besides that they are dirty, cold, and surprisingly foggy much of the time. Miami's coastline is more conducive to jet skiing, snorkeling, tubing, boating and just enjoying the water. As a place to live LA right now has my vote but Miami is really starting to blossom with Wynwood, Design District, Brickell. Hell I think Brickell in 10 years will be a better urban neighborhood than any in Los Angeles.
Ehhhh, It's not like LA nabes are gonna stop developing over a 10yr period. Wishful thinking.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Yeah - but you're in Florida, where Miami is the only city that is even remotely walkable or urban. California has a ton of more urban, walkable cities - there's just a lot more in relatively close proximity.

Also, Miami takes fake and plastic to a whole new level - at least California has some roots. There is much more social activism, cultures like hippies, beatniks, etc all flourished in California and LA. Florida and Miami are cultural and intellectual wastelands.
Typical.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:40 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
Whatever pollster. You have no room to talk about number of times being banned.
Hmm...let's see...I've been a member since March 2009 and have posted over 4,500 times. You've been a member since Monday and have posted about 20 times. Yet you seem to have a vivid recollection of my posting history. Who's really the troll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostInterestingPoster3 View Post
Don't you feel kind of sad that you are one of the few posters in this forum who take their hatred for a place 3000 miles away so seriously?
Don't you feel kind of sad that you are one of the few posters in this forum who keeps generating account after account after account after account after account? LOL.

BTW, were you the one who repped me and left that nasty little comment?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
No. Only you seem to have this idea. Just how many different people have expressed their preferences, priorities and experiences, only to have you insist on either trying to deny that subjective opinion by spin, sophistry and straw argument? That's not obnoxious at all. Just look at your "contribution" from above:

1) Me: "Does not impact my life. Never has. I don't give a ****". You: "You're a homer. Of course it matters."

2) Me: "Warm ocean water correlates/causes disgusting humid in the summer. The two are inextricably linked. Thats' a trade-off I'll make 100 times out of 100. A nice swim in the spring without a wetsuit is in NO WAY an equalizer for three or more months of moist misery in the air you actually live in. In fact, based on my own personal experience, 86 water in 90 air is past the point of diminishing returns." You: "You're a homer who is trying to argue that swimming off Vancouver is always more appealing to all people than swimming off Florida."

3) WTF does this even have to do with this thread?

Of course, you are looking at this as tourist who is driven to warm his bones. Fortunately for both Floridians or Californians, this is unnecessary. But that perspective aside, many other people have expressed opinions that are simply different from yours, which seems to bother you to the point of resorting to weak argumentation.

Diff'rent strokes. Dude.
I have no problem with people stating their personal preferences as long as they recognize when those preferences are not representative of the majority and don't put ridiculous spins on objective weaknesses.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Long story short: the New Yawker said Miami offers a more unique experience compared to L.A., I disagreed, said they share similarities. The next thing I knew--L.A.'s beaches are on the level of Vancouver's, 68 degree water requires a wetsuit, L.A.'s diversity is homogenous, and our live music scene can easily be replicated in any city. If you live 3 blocks from a strip mall--better warm up the car. It's gonna be a long drive.
Actually it was OyCrumbler, who has a little bit more credibility than you, who first said that 68F would probably require a wetsuit if you want anything more than a quick in and out. Whatever you make of it, the point is that water in LA ranges from 57f to 68f throughout the year. 68f is the average for your warmest month. So yes, in terms of practical usefulness, your beaches are more similar to San Francisco and Vancouver than they are to Miami. Vancouver btw has got some gorgeous beaches with a lot of recreational activity taking place. But nobody would ever confuse them with South Beach.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:43 AM

90 posts, read 94,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hmm...let's see...I've been a member since March 2009 and have posted over 4,500 times. You've been a member since Monday and have posted about 20 times. Yet you seem to have a vivid recollection of my posting history. Who's really the troll?

Don't you feel kind of sad that you are one of the few posters in this forum who keeps generating account after account after account after account after account? LOL.

BTW, were you the one who repped me and left that nasty little comment?
What a narcissist. You think this thread is about you, when you're the one who took the thread off topic from South Beach and the Sunset Strip to talking about the demographics of LA vs. NYC.

You do realize that people can lurk on this site without actually posting. It's not like there is an exclusive "members only read" on the City vs City forum. And being a member since March 2009 and posting 4500 times still doesn't mean you can't be a huge gigantic troll.

Just admit you hate White, Mexican, Central American, and Asian people and move on. The whole reason that you probably chose South Beach, unlike me, is because you don't want to be around Los Angeles because large groups of the above exist there, unlike their Caribbean and Black people in the Miami Area, which would make you a huge racist.

If you think I'm a troll, have an admin check my IP. I don't share an IP with any poster on this site.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Actually it was OyCrumbler, who has a little bit more credibility than you, who first said that 68F would probably require a wetsuit if you want anything more than a quick in and out. Whatever you make of it, the point is that water in LA ranges from 57f to 68f throughout the year. 68f is the average for your warmest month. So yes, in terms of practical usefulness, your beaches are more similar to San Francisco and Vancouver than they are to Miami. Vancouver btw has got some gorgeous beaches with a lot of recreational activity taking place. But nobody would ever confuse them with South Beach.
Practical usefulness...are we talking about seat belts or something? These are recreational areas!

And saying that L.A.'s beaches are comparable to cities that aren't noted for beaches or beach culture AT ALL is ridiculous. Stop adding to the fail already. You're not God. You don't decide what's end-all be-all to the beach experience and dismiss everything else. Some people like waves and surf, dramatic bluffs, and cool water during the summer. Cooling off during the hottest months...sounds useful!

Btw, it's going to get up to 77 degrees in Santa Monica tomorrow. In March. Vancouver in contrast will reach a blistering 48 degrees with showers. Take a guess whose beaches are going to be more packed...

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 03-03-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City