Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Newark/North Jersey 19 15.20%
Philly 36 28.80%
Beantown 19 15.20%
Providence, RI 6 4.80%
Cleveland 4 3.20%
The Windy City 24 19.20%
Other (mention) 17 13.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,041 times

Advertisements

I was shocked by the abundance of awesome authentic Italian in St. Louis' "Hill" neighborhood. Yummy, pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2LAFTW View Post
Italian food is bland. But for this topic, probably Philly.
Italian cuisine is great and MUCH more varied than this country's offerings would lead you to believe. Starchy pasta and marinara just scratch thr surface over there. Here, they dominate.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
I would have loved to say Los Angeles, but couldn't. The good Italian restaurants we had were dispersed. I would then say Philadelphia (South Philly, et al.)

Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2LAFTW View Post
Italian food is bland. But for this topic, probably Philly.
You're entitled to your opinion...the same way I won't touch Thai or Indian food. I was raised on Italian food and think it's the best cuisine. It's definitely the most popular cuisine in the US, after standard American.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM

208 posts, read 411,581 times
There are some great Italian restaurants in New Jersey, and if I wasn't already so close to Staten Island I'd head on over to Jersey whenever I was craving authentic Italian.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You're entitled to your opinion...the same way I won't touch Thai or Indian food. I was raised on Italian food and think it's the best cuisine. It's definitely the most popular cuisine in the US, after standard American.
I think Mexican is quickly becoming more popular than Italian, but I agree that Italian is certainly up there.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 PM

41 posts, read 45,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Not real Italian food. There are too many people out there who believe that "real" Italian food is grocery store spaghetti and ragu sauce or Olive Garden chicken alfredo.

Italian food varies by region. What you find in Sicily will be VERY different than what you find in Milan. Most real Italian restaurants emphasize cuisine from a single region or even city. The reason I feel Italian food is so good (and anything but bland) is because, regarless of the region, the dishes emphasize fresh, simple ingredients and produce excellent flavor. Even a simple Caprese Salad (Buffalo mozzarella, tomato, basil, olive oil and salt) is incredibly flavorful if the ingredients are fresh.
It's bland in comparison to Indian, Middle Eastern, Ethiopian and Peruvian foods I've had.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
AFter NYC Philly probably has the largest Italian influence (maybe even more pronounced per capita to NYC)

I have had very good Italian in all; for size and precense would probably say Philly

Especially high end Italian with Vetri (May well be the highest rated Italian in the country), Amis etc.
WHAT

That is pretentious. Let me spell it out P R E T E N T I O U S. I looked at their menu and it is 135 dollars. HAVE YOU LOST YOUR YANKEE MIND???

I can not even pronounce that stuff. I Can bring the entire family and eat way cheaper at CiCi's buffet, and it might not be FANCY like yankees like it, but it is tasty enough and it is a bring your own sauce establishment.

I guess I'd recommend staying in that fancy place, I am glad all yankees are clustered up there and can be pretentious and look down on us good folk. They all commute on Acela to wall street jobs in Manhattan from their Rittenouse Square apartment in the sky. Then come back home to fancy apartment eating imported mushrooms from Sicily trying to be more italian.

Listen here, this is america, not fancy italy, b/c we don't need more of yankees everywhere else spreading pesto sauce allover the place.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 PM

269 posts, read 416,431 times
Philly.

then id say Chicago and Utica, NY. HM to Providence.

Utica, NY is the Little Italy of Upstate NY and has Italian food you cant get anywhere else. Phillys the only other place you can get tomato pie. Chicken riggies and greens, you cant.

80+ pizzerias in 16 sq mi.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM

269 posts, read 416,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
WHAT

That is pretentious. Let me spell it out P R E T E N T I O U S. I looked at their menu and it is 135 dollars. HAVE YOU LOST YOUR YANKEE MIND???

I can not even pronounce that stuff. I Can bring the entire family and eat way cheaper at CiCi's buffet, and it might not be FANCY like yankees like it, but it is tasty enough and it is a bring your own sauce establishment.

I guess I'd recommend staying in that fancy place, I am glad all yankees are clustered up there and can be pretentious and look down on us good folk. They all commute on Acela to wall street jobs in Manhattan from their Rittenouse Square apartment in the sky. Then come back home to fancy apartment eating imported mushrooms from Sicily trying to be more italian.

Listen here, this is america, not fancy italy, b/c we don't need more of yankees everywhere else spreading pesto sauce allover the place.
Its not about trying to be Italy.

Italian food is an important fabric of this country whether you like it or not, just like any other food. Italian culture is also an important part of NYC's, Philly's, and Chicago's history.

Pizza is a major part of this countries food culture too, and different places have different pizzerias. I think the first pizzeria in the US was actually in SF, not sure. Different places other different things (Deep Dish vs. Thin Slice for one)

Would you have the same reaction if we made a thread about Mexican food and LA? or Chinese food and SF? Barbecue and KC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City