Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Newark/North Jersey 19 15.20%
Philly 36 28.80%
Beantown 19 15.20%
Providence, RI 6 4.80%
Cleveland 4 3.20%
The Windy City 24 19.20%
Other (mention) 17 13.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

In the spirit of those who voted NY in the "Best Mexican Food" thread, I vote "other". Specifically, Beaverton Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
I've eaten Italian all over the place and I would say the northeast is best by far. I did not find one city to outshine the other. I've had equally good dishes in NYC as I had in smaller heavily Italian towns upstate such as Rome. Everywhere from Boston to Buffalo(and everywhere in between) has had equally good food in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
IDK why but I never really considered Pizza to be Italian

Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM

269 posts, read 416,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I've eaten Italian all over the place and I would say the northeast is best by far. I did not find one city to outshine the other. I've had equally good dishes in NYC as I had in smaller heavily Italian towns upstate such as Rome. Everywhere from Boston to Buffalo(and everywhere in between) has had equally good food in my opinion.
This is something I dont think most people even realize (the smaller cities). Some of which are even more Italian % wise, and have Italian better than youd find in NYC or Philly for that matter.

Rome is basically the same area as Utica, they have tomato pie and riggies there.

I agree though. It seems like each city has something distinct about it. All good.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
In the spirit of those who voted NY in the "Best Mexican Food" thread, I vote "other". Specifically, Beaverton Oregon.
Riccardo's in Lake Oswego OR ain't bad.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Riccardo's in Lake Oswego OR ain't bad.
Free-range tomatoes for their marinara?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Bland? Interesting...I think stereotypical Italian food is a bit like Mexican, based a lot around a few ingredients. In this case cheese and tomato dominate.
Real Mexican and Italian food in their native countries is much more varied and interesting than what you can often find in the US or other countries where immigrants settled. What you get is often an Americanized version of a few certain dishes that were transformed by immigrants after they resettled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Italian cuisine is great and MUCH more varied than this country's offerings would lead you to believe. Starchy pasta and marinara just scratch thr surface over there. Here, they dominate.
Excatly. And not to knock old fashioned "Red Sauce" spots--those can be pretty fun and tasty. But it's bascially a version of certain dishes that originated in Napoli(Naples) and brought over to places like New York. Sunday gravy or ragu based dishes can be delicious, but it really that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Italian cooking. It's nothing like what'd you eat in the region around Venice or Tuscany or the Piedmont. And when you throw in the islands like Sicily and Sardinia, you've got an even greater range of styles.

Italian food in places like the North End in Boston--can be very delicious and i'ts not entirely removed from authentic Southern Italian, but it's still more Italian-American styles than traditional Neapolitan. There's authentic regional Italian in the US, but often it will be more upscale restaurants or places staffed by recent Italian transplants from regions all over Italy. The Italian food in the downtown Little Italy in New York is pretty mediocre,though there's really good Italian restaurants scattered in different locations all over all 5 bouroughs. In San Francisco, the Italian food in North Beach is a mixed bag these days(along with the cannolis), but Italian fisherman from Genoa were responsible for creating the cioppino--the spicy seafood stew that's probably the best regional specialty in the area.

Last edited by Deezus; 03-07-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Geraldi's makes a great chicken parm or meatball hero...

They can't cook pasta for crap though...

Last edited by Deezus; 03-07-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Philly is going to win this, guarantee it... but, the title should go to Boston, who IMHO, is #1

Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Was this post sarcastic? Please say yes.

Because if not... wow. The resentment and anger expressed in response to the so-called "pretentious" restaurant is more appalling to me than the $135 prices. I like restaurants like that from time to time. I don't make a lot of money, but it's fun to do something high end like that from time to time. That $135 isn't just for food. It's for an experience. It's for top of the line service, it's for an incredibly nice setting, AND for picture perfect food. How's that any worse than spending $100/each for tickets plus $10/beer and $6 per hot dog at a [insert the name of country music star here] concert?

We all have preferences for recreation and we'll all spend money to do what we like. Shelling out $135 each at a nice restaurant doesn't make you any more pretentious than shelling out $135 each for tickets and beer at a concert. Me? I'm going to the nice restaurant 100 times out of 100. I commute to work on a subway car that costs $1.75 each way and live in a 700 sq foot apartment. Hardly "elite."

The "this is 'Merica" outrage about "pretentious" Yankees is fairly hypocritical seeing as the "Merica" crowd tends to think they're better then the rest of the planet.
Now listen here Mr. Fox, and listen up close. Have you ever heard that song that goes a lil something like this... "Where I come from, it's corn bread and chicken"
Now I want you to think about that a bit, and you kno where that is? The U S of A. Not fancy schmancy Italy that people want to be sipping their expensive Char Do NAYYY and etc and being pretentious.
Now did you see that menu?! It is astronomical.
You are being wasteful going to restaurants like that, a materialist. You should be thankful in the morning that your lady can make you some biscuits from scratch or some corn bread and milk. That will fill your belly more than a few green beans or gobbling more imported mushrooms with fancy sauce from some italian chef on the food network.
I would never pay that much for a beer, is tha twhat they charge over in fancy yankee doodle Boston?

Talking about your subways already, just like I thought. How do you think that is funded, by spending money like the greed monglers? I went once and saw a rat the size of an armydillo, won't do that again.

Now you have a nice day sir mr fox and just remember how this country got made, by blood, sweat, good home meals, not fancy people trying to be Italians and Parisians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City