Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East vs. West
East 57 35.19%
West 87 53.70%
Neither 18 11.11%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Notice you forgot DC..
I dont see DC destroying anything in this comparison...lol

Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia Counties by Non Hispanic White Population
Hampshire, WV 97.1%
Carroll, MD 92.3%
Warren, VA 90.2%
Clarke, VA 89.4%
Frederick, VA 88.6%
Queen Anne's, MD 88.3%
Jefferson, WV 86.9%
Fauquier, VA 83.7%
Harford, MD 81.8%
Calvert, MD 81.1%
Frederick, MD 80.5%
St Mary's, MD 78.3%
Falls Church(City), VA 75.5%
Anne Arundel, MD 74.5%
Spotsylvania, VA 74.5%
Culpeper, VA 73.9%
Winchester, VA 73.6%
Stafford, VA 70.7%
Arlington(City), VA 66.1%
Baltimore(County), MD 65.9%
Fredericksburg, VA 65.8%
Loudoun, VA 64.1%
Fairfax(City), CA 63.6%
Howard, MD 62.0%
Charles, MD 58.2%
Fairfax, VA 56.9%
Alexandria(City), VA 56.3%
Manassas(City), VA 52.6%
Princ William, VA 51.9%
Montgomery, MD 51.7%
BELOW 50%
Manassas Park(City), VA 45.9%
Washington, DC 38.3%
Baltimore(City), MD 31.3%
Prince George's, MD 17.3%

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland Counties by Non Hispanic White Population
Marin, CA 75.1%
Sonoma, CA 71.1%
Santa Cruz, CA 64.3%
Napa, CA 61.7%
Contra Costa, CA 51.6%
BELOW 50%
San Mateo, CA 45.0%
Solano, CA 44.8%
San Francisco, CA 44.5%
San Benito, CA 43.3%
Santa Clara, CA 38.6%
Alameda, CA 37.4%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
O, was this for north and south or was this for megalopolis regions? The Bos-Was corridor is the only real megalopolis in the whole country. There is no west coast megalopolis.
I'll take that under advisement. Thanks.

Furthermore, there really is no government recognized entity called a 'megalopolis. Have a nice day.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Why reply to Huge Foodie 215's nonsense and allow every thread to devolve into a flame war? He might be the instigator but we're just as bad if we encourage him to keep posting the same BS in every thread. Just ignore him and his 100 aliases and eventually he'll find something else to do.

Getting back on topic, statistics aside I've found that where you're most comfortable as a minority really depends on what you're accustomed to. If you're an upper class black person for example that's accustomed to living in wealthy neighborhoods that are majority black, I could see why a lot of the West Coast wouldn't necessarily look as appealing as PG County or outer Atlanta. While they certainly exist (see the SE Oakland Hills and Baldwin Hills in LA for example) it's definitely not to the extent that's seen in the DC metro.

On the other hand, if you're a wealthy black person and want to live in a diverse neighborhood then I'd say you couldn't do much better than the East Bay... the East Bay is socioeconomically segregated, but outside of old money communities like Piedmont and Orinda, if you have the $ you can live wherever and you'll fit right in.

If you're a working class black person and want to live in a diverse neighborhood then I'd definitely pick the Bay before just about anywhere else in the country... I've witnessed little to none of the racial tension I've seen between socioeconomically-similar racial groups in other cities, particularly those in the midwest. If you want to live in a predominantly black working class community, however, The Bay is one of the last places I'd recommend... outside of the East Bay there is no real significant black middle and upper class presence in the Bay, and that completely changes the dynamics of living in a poor black neighborhood. There is very little in the way of inter-socioeconomic interaction in places like Hunters Point and EPA and etc. (when talking about blacks) and that makes life in these areas a LOT worse than it would be if there was a more monied population who was involved in the greater community. Despite popular belief, it is for this reason that poorer blacks in SF have it significantly worse than poorer blacks in Oakland... there is no money being invested into building up the infrastructure of SF's black community because there are no investors. Oakland on the other hand has a much stronger black community, and that is in large part because there is a strong foundation.

As for the middle class, the reality is that in California all middle class people are being squeezed out. Oakland is arguably one of two California cities left (the other being Sacramento) that can say that its middle class is its foundation, and at the heart of its middle class population is its black population. For the past 50 years, they've been the lifeblood of the city economically, culturally and politically. In the past 5 years, however, that has been rapidly changing, namely because of the housing crisis. More than any other time in Oakland and urban California's history, middle class people are being pushed out and wealthier urbanites are moving in. Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of the people who are leaving Oakland are those who once comprised its large black middle class. Unfortunately, this is also very rapidly becoming the reality in the East Coast... much like their west coast counterparts, middle class black people are leaving DC and NYC in droves for greener pastures in the South.

IMO, the OP's question is too simple... there's a lot that goes into the question, socio-economic class easily being one of the biggest deciding factors. It also varies a lot depending on who we're talking about... the best place for a middle class asian person is not necessarily the best place for a middle class black person and etc. I can really only speak on what it's like for blacks in the US, and that is mainly because I've been around and have family all throughout the country. I'm very familiar with how it is for asians and latinos in CA but outside of CA I don't know much about their experience.
With this statement above, the thread can close now. Like you said it all depends on what you're accustomed to OR how well you're able to adapt to an environment. I live in a majority white neighborhood (greek/italian) but I never feel like I'm being looked at as an outsider or something. If you're in a neighborhood that's working class or you guys are in the same class people tend to accept it and go. At least here, I'm not too sure about other cities.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,672 times
Except for NYC, NONE of the other East Coast cities comes even close to the level of acceptance of minorities as in the West Coast.

The only reason you have more minorities in the East Coast is because there were more of them out there to begin with post slavery.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 PM

484 posts, read 871,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
O, was this for north and south or was this for megalopolis regions? The Bos-Was corridor is the only real megalopolis in the whole country. There is no west coast megalopolis.
Nope. You may like to think there's only one "real" megalopolis, but there isn't. There are actually other "real" megalopolis outside of the Northeast (I know, shocking right?), 11 in all, one as real as the other.

Ok, now we have that cleared up, there are 3 megalopolis on the west coast and 6 in total completely west of the Mississippi.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Nope. You may like to think there's only one "real" megalopolis, but there isn't. There are actually other "real" megalopolis outside of the Northeast (I know, shocking right?), 11 in all, one as real as the other.

Ok, now we have that cleared up, there are 3 megalopolis on the west coast and 6 in total completely west of the Mississippi.
The development between these other so called megalopolises is no where near as connected as the Bo's-Was corridor. What kind of commuting patterns do these other areas have? Do they even have commuter trains between them? It sounds like people just wanted to start throwing that term around because they are nothing like the Bos-Was corridor. Maybe they need to rename the Bos-Was corridor if they are calling these other areas megalopolises too.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Except for NYC, NONE of the other East Coast cities comes even close to the level of acceptance of minorities as in the West Coast.

The only reason you have more minorities in the East Coast is because there were more of them out there to begin with post slavery.
Then why is DC less segregated than either LA or SF?

Here's the thing: Asians and Hispanics are moving to the East Coast in VERY large numbers, but the same can not be said about Blacks moving to the West Coast, either through domestic migration OR immigration. Not in the same numbers.

What that means is that the East Coast is literally diversifying more into having Whites/Blacks/Hispanics/Asians (along with the South), while the West Coast is increasingly becoming just White/Asian/Hispanic. Within 20 years, I wouldn't be totally surprised at all if in California, Whites are the 3rd largest group in California.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
With this statement above, the thread can close now. Like you said it all depends on what you're accustomed to OR how well you're able to adapt to an environment. I live in a majority white neighborhood (greek/italian) but I never feel like I'm being looked at as an outsider or something. If you're in a neighborhood that's working class or you guys are in the same class people tend to accept it and go. At least here, I'm not too sure about other cities.

Do you feel like you could become an insider if you lived there long enough became an active member of the community or do you feel that there's a limit to the acceptance? I'm not asking that to spark argument, I'm asking that sincerely.

Also, I didn't know you were a minority.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,939 times
Cali's that "safe" diversity

Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Except there aren't any statistics from the study I cited that has any statistics from non-White groups relative to each other. However, based on the Black-Hispanic relation out in the East vs. the hideous relations that Mexicans have with Blacks out West, I wouldn't be surprised if Washington DC and the rest of the East Coast does better than the West.

The only Brown to Brown problem out here in CA are among Gangbangers and prison inmates...I live around Latinos,Asian,Whites,Blacks in one neigborhood without any problems....

Already on the top, furthering the lead.

Unless you have those statistics, then...

Whatever..........

You don't even know what you're looking at. None of those videos show any Latinos or Blacks killing each other. They show Latinos killing other Latinos, and Blacks killing other Blacks.

There plenty of Latinos killing blacks and Blacks killing Latinos , he just couldn't get his hands on the right videos......

NYC: Not only safer than LA, but their gangs also mean more business than those kids out in LA

Both NYC and LA are safe cities, you talking 20 or 30 years ago when the bullets were flying.....

Yes, even though the East Coast as a whole has 16 million more minorities than the West Coast, California wins.

Numbers doesn't mean that everybody gets along with each other..

Except a huge chunk of Hispanic and Black youth IN LA are involved in some way or another in street gangs, so they do form a huge chunk of society.

A larger chunk isn't.............

No, the Asian experience in the United States is NOTHING like the Black experience in the US.

Yes it is and as a matter of fact Native American belong within that Asian grouping ,and other Asian group built Chinatown and Japatown and Vietnamesetown just to feel safe here in America.

BTW: what's up with the Black population leaving California if it was so minority friendly?
This gives me so much pleasure , because its simple..Elementary My Dear Man Mr. Watson...its because of the COL out here in CALIFORNIA that the reason why the African-American Community is being moved out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City