Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times

Advertisements

LMAO

Angelenos vs Angelenos, I love this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Atlanta...by a wide margin. I don't think ATL initially foresaw what it would become, and parcels were a lot larger and retained more of the forested ambiance. One "fly-over" on Google Earth will tell you that in an instant.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Umm let's not get carried away here. Sure Los Angeles is more urban as it darn well should be considering the size difference, but Atlanta is more of a mixed bag than you are giving credit for. We have sfh's, new urbanism mixed-use developments, row homes and brownstones in places.

Some of Atlanta's historic neighborhoods offer intimate, narrow streetscapes as well. We're not attempting to emulate LA, but Atlanta feels nothing of a backwater.

2009_03_19_4459-1 by ls1z28chris, on Flickr

2009_03_19_4456-1 by ls1z28chris, on Flickr

Inman Park by Congress, on Flickr

Little Five Points by M*A*P*S, on Flickr

20090515_0513 by ls1z28chris, on Flickr

20090515_0520 by ls1z28chris, on Flickr

Atlantic Station by Zlatko Unger, on Flickr

Midtown Atlanta by nanophotonic, on Flickr
Los Angeles

Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,962 times
Atlanta is definitely more suburban. We've got two good-sized urban districts: downtown and midtown. Buckhead is dense-built suburban.

People say Atlanta was never planned to become what it is, and that's true. But neither were most other cities that wound up with a nice grid. The reason Atlanta lacks a grid outside of the main area is because the land that is now metro Atlanta was once rural, deep south agricultural land. The network of dirt roads mainly connected important places (like mills, churches, bridges, and so forth), and ran directly from place to place. They also had to pay attention to the hilly topography, and tried to run roads right along the spines of hills so they wouldn't get washed out during storms. And they had to deal with small creeks and rivers which are all over the region and run year-round.

So I guess you can blame lack of planning, but you'd have to be extremely visionary and determined to tell a bunch of farmers who lived out in Duluth, Georgia in 1870 that they really ought to lay their thoroughfares out on an east-west grid in order to accommodate the sprawling metropolis that will be here in 150 years. Out west, this was a lot less of a problem since the rural population generally was a lot smaller prior to the cities growing up.

And not all suburbs are created equal. I love the leafy old streetcar suburbs (Inman Park, Virginia Highland, etc), which are the real flavor of Atlanta and which many tourists miss entirely. There's a lot more in common between Inman Park and downtown Atlanta than there is between Inman Park and south Forsyth County.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
Atlanta and L.A. are two of the most unfairly maligned cities on this site (Houston is up there too), so I guess it stands that they would be compared like this.

L.A. is no doubt more "urban", but Atlanta is by far the most surprising city to me in terms of its urbanity. I go there for business a lot and am always impressed. ATL is more "suburban" and less dense than L.A., but most cities are. And ATL seems to have a whole lot going for it.

(the traffic, though, OMG I'm from L.A. and am not sure how the people of ATL put up with the traffic -- especially on the surface streets)...

Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
I posted this on the Urban Planning forum, but I think it relevant here:
I read this article on the Atlantic Cities:

The Top U.S. Cities for New Home Construction - Housing - The Atlantic Cities

It is interesting because it charts the percentage of new construction that is multi-family vs. single family (Metro Areas).

• Houston, TX - 31,271 Permits - 27% Multifamily Housing
  • Atlanta, GA - 8,634 Permits - 28% Multifamily Housing
  • Los Angeles, CA - 9,895 Permits - 77% Multifamily Housing
  • Washington, DC - 16,501 Permits - 51% Multifamily Housing
  • Phoenix, AZ - 9,081 Permits - 20% Multifamily Housing
  • New York, NY -13,973 Permits - 91% Multifamily Housing
I threw a couple other cities in for comparison. This helps paint a picture of the urban form the Atlanta metro is taking vs. that the Los Angeles metro is taking.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Atlanta and L.A. are two of the most unfairly maligned cities on this site (Houston is up there too), so I guess it stands that they would be compared like this.
Funny, I'd rather live in any of these than some of the iceboxes people here rave about.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
The first graph on this website shows the drastic difference in residential densities between LA and Atlanta:

We Alone on Earth: A Portrait of the City as a Squiggly Line

Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Why does everyone think this is what Los Angeles is like?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Compared to LA, the less urban areas of Atlanta feel pretty rural. The more urban areas that were shown in the above ATL streetviews remind me of the medium-urban areas of the San Fernando Valley.

Can't compare it to Detroit as I've never been there but I get the feeling that Detroit appears more urban, but a decaying, bombed-out urban. I'd take Atlanta for sure.
detroit in a certain radius feels about as urban as la but it dies off very quickly. When I get to flat rock I might as well be drinking well water and farming (and that's only 40 mins from dt). But then again LA metro is what? 3 times as big? So that's to be expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City