Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who makes the best chesesteak
NYC 27 16.98%
Philly 132 83.02%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 01:25 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I think most people that live in Philly would disagree with the bolded. Not saying it's terrible but there are better options in Philly.
Just got back from Philly and I must have heard 12 different "must try" Philly cheesesteaks spots from locals. I did hear Tony Lukes from 2 different natives.

I ended up trying Oh Brother Philly and Cleavers and I thought both were tasty as hell. The best cheesesteaks I ever had. Mind you this was my first in Philly and every other cheesesteak I had was outside of Philly. Cleavers got the slight edge over Oh Brother but enjoyed both. Also the Cheesesteaks egg rolls at Cleavers changed my life! Fantastic food scene in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 02:34 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Tony Luke's receives some flak these days because they franchised out and there are over 20 locations in the Mid-Atlantic now including one in NYC. Cleavers and Oh Brother are two of my favorite, good choices Redlionjr.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 07-27-2021 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-27-2021, 03:24 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
Tony Luke's steaks are disgusting. Best steaks in Philly is John's or Angelo's at the moment.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:52 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Nobody beats Philadelphia when it comes to cheese steak and cream cheese.
The cream cheese's only connection to Philadelphia is its name: it was created by an Upstate New York farmer in the 1850s. The farmer who produced this new, richer soft cheese chose to name it for the city because it had a reputation for fine food and cooking. (As then, so now, though the reputation hadn't remained constant for the entire period between these eras.)

That bit about the rolls, I'd like to submit, isn't comical, given my experiences at both Texadelphia in Galveston and Grinders in Kansas City (which, as I posted, gets its rolls from Amoroso's). Similarly, I wouldn't confuse the sub sandwiches I grew up eating for either Philadelphia hoagies or New Orleans po'boys, and in both cases, the bread has a lot to do with it.

Generally speaking, the Philadelphia Cheesesteak Pantheon consists of the places named below:

Cleavers
D'alessandro's
John's Roast Pork
Jim's Steaks
Max's

Many consider these their peers:

Campo's
Joe's
Sonny's

Can't say I'd heard of Oh Brother before now, but it sounds like it belongs here too.

Pat's and Geno's are both a notch or two below these, but Pat's gets a place in the Pantheon for having been the inventor of the sandwich, and Geno's rides into it on the rivalry with Pat's across from it.

Some do put Tony Luke's, which made its rep on the roast pork Italian, in the pantheon as well. I generally stick to the roast pork when I eat there. There are those who argue that this sandwich rather than the cheesesteak should be Philly's signature sandwich, but they generally get drowned out by cheesesteak lovers.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:09 PM

79 posts, read 42,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Tony Luke's receives some flak these days because they franchised out and there are over 20 locations in the Mid-Atlantic now including one in NYC. Cleavers and Oh Brother are two of my favorite, good choices Redlionjr.
Wawa made that same foolish decision opening shop away from the Delaware valley. The day they set up shop into NYC, I'll be officially done with them. Next, you'll have NYers saying, "if you wanna good "hero", come to Wawa in NY, we have the best."

Old 07-29-2021, 06:25 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Philly hands down. Especially Tony Lukes.
Max’s over Tony Lukes

Old 07-30-2021, 05:31 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaM n.p. View Post
Wawa made that same foolish decision opening shop away from the Delaware valley. The day they set up shop into NYC, I'll be officially done with them. Next, you'll have NYers saying, "if you wanna good "hero", come to Wawa in NY, we have the best."
There's a guy who tweets as @radiocolin on Twitter who once did a very succinct summary of what I would say is now the dominant sentiment among city residents concerning Wawa:

"Wawa at home: Well, it's 2 am, and I'm really hungry, but no place else is open, and I guess they'll do

"Wawa away from home: They're the best damn place in the world, and I'll cut anyone who says otherwise"

(or words to this effect)

When our food and drink editor wrote this lament over the decline of the Wawa hoagie four years ago, we still ran comments with our articles, and we prepared for an onslaught of brickbats from our readers.

Instead, every last commenter agreed with him.

Any New Yorker who says that if Wawa opens there will get what they deserve.

(BTW, Alex offered me that cold mess of a hoagie pictured with the essay after he bought it. I couldn't eat it either.)

Old 07-31-2021, 12:18 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Does a Chopped Cheese count as a bastardized version of the Philly Cheesesteak?
This is what immediately came to mind. NYC isn't known for their cheesesteaks, but the chopped cheese has gained popularity in recent years.

Still, the cheesesteaks I've eaten in Philly have been unlike anything I've ever had. Just phenomenal.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:19 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaM n.p. View Post
I am not aware of any Wawa in NYC. They never had one in NYC for longest time until maybe a few years ago with one in Hackensack.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:26 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
This is what immediately came to mind. NYC isn't known for their cheesesteaks, but the chopped cheese has gained popularity in recent years.

Still, the cheesesteaks I've eaten in Philly have been unlike anything I've ever had. Just phenomenal.
I never even heard of chopped cheese until maybe a year or two ago. I am positive it is some hipster viral marketing strategy by Boars Head. They probably have low sales of thinly sliced beef and needed to off load. Just come up with name to differentiate from cheesesteaks, put out some YT vids showcasing it and see who bites. Boars Head has monopoly over all the bodegas in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City