Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is closer to a perfect metro?
NYC & Chicago 116 69.05%
SF & LA 52 30.95%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
You're a terrible poster. People are entitled to their opinion. There's nothing wrong with voting for what you vote for being there's no wrong answer. The thread was created to see what the majority of people thought and we've gotten that answer. That's that. Just because you like something doesn't mean someone else does and that doesn't make them wrong. You haven't proven anything to anyone with your OPINIONS. If you're arguing about that's factual, then that's fine. But most of what you've posted in here is opinionated and now you're crucifying people because they like New York better? lol. Just stop.
I never said people shouldn't have their opinions but don't get opinions mixed with facts. Its a fact that LA is denser than Boston, also a fact that it's denser than Chicago, another fact that LA has more 20k density + areas than Boston. So tell me how its a fact that Boston qualifies as "world class urban" but LA doesn't.

Why are you doing this only to me? Its ok to have an opinion, I wont bother you if you prefer Boston to SF or LA but I will bother you if you act like you know more about California than I do with only 4 visits. By telling me LA is suburban and subpar to places like Boston is laughable and objectively inaccurate. I've posted facts against those claims and they've posted what? Their P.O.S opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd say Flushing or Astoria or almost any neighborhood in Brooklyn has more activity going on than just about any major district of Los Angeles--and the level of activity is far closer to what you would find in major cities abroad.
I dunno. I just spent the last few weeks in Flushing and it's spotty no less than L.A., whichever major districts.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I dunno. I just spent the last few weeks in Flushing and it's spotty no less than L.A., whichever major districts.
I have no idea what this means.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I never said people shouldn't have their opinions but don't get opinions mixed with facts. Its a fact that LA is denser than Boston, also a fact that it's denser than Chicago, another fact that LA has more 20k density + areas than Boston. So tell me how its a fact that Boston qualifies as "world class urban" but LA doesn't.

Why are you doing this only to me? Its ok to have an opinion, I wont bother you if you prefer Boston to SF or LA but I will bother you if you act like you know more about California than I do with only 4 visits. By telling me LA is suburban and subpar to places like Boston is laughable and objectively inaccurate. I've posted facts against those claims and they've posted what? Their P.O.S opinions.
You can't be serious.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 AM

300 posts, read 524,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Really? You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but what district in LA is comparable to Flushing? I can't think of any LA neighborhood with that kind of everyday street activity.

Downtown Flushing rivals the busiest parts of Manhattan in terms of vibrancy. I don't think really anyplace in the U.S. outside of NYC would top Flushing.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 AM

300 posts, read 524,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
To me:

LA is more Urban than Chicago and OVERALL more than SF. NYC is more urban than all three. NYC and Chicago have more urban cores than LA but Chicago tends to drop way off as soon as you leave the Loop.
I would agree with this. LA is, overall, much denser than Chicago, but Chicago has a bigger, denser core.

The problem is that most of Chicago isn't very dense. There are strip malls and suburban-style townhouses right outside the downtown Loop. LA doesn't have lots of high density, but it has medium density seemingly forever.

And NYC + LA would probably be the ultimate city.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Where are you from?

I ask because you don't sound like an Angeleno, at least none I've ever met.
You don't know anything about LA if you think that line is going to go smoothly.

The chances of it being a full-fledged BRT as it is is pretty slim--likely it'll be some mock express bus line missing a crucial component or two that makes BRT work.

Of course, I'm hoping it simply just gets off the ground and works.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
LoL @ Californians being mad, beacuse they lost a poll.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I agree that if you stuck Manhattan in the middle of LA - and made LA's ocean water a bit warmer - you might just have the perfect city.
I'd want to throw in some of Brooklyn and Queens to cover up the worst parts of the Valley - then you definitely have the perfect city.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You don't know anything about LA if you think that line is going to go smoothly.

The chances of it being a full-fledged BRT as it is is pretty slim--likely it'll be some mock express bus line missing a crucial component or two that makes BRT work.

Of course, I'm hoping it simply just gets off the ground and works.
When I say BRT, I'm thinking something closer to the Silver Line on the 10 and 110 than the Orange Line in the SFV.

In 50-75 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see a subway eventually put through there. It's absolutely possible to run a subway under the Sepulveda Pass (see the Red Line through the Cahuenga Pass), just right now it is very cost-prohibitive.

I've heard that surface LRT would be impossible due to the grade on the Valley side of the 405.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City