Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
It just seems like every year I hear about people in Chicago cooking in their apartments and houses. Maybe it's because of the high crime rate. Think about it, people can't open their windows without the fear of being murdered, so they bake like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Not the same in New York.
Wow, this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
It just seems like every year I hear about people in Chicago cooking in their apartments and houses. Maybe it's because of the high crime rate. Think about it, people can't open their windows without the fear of being murdered, so they bake like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Not the same in New York.
Post FAIL

Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either. Ten years is a lot of time in the ever-changing city of New York, and I think it's definitely worth visiting again. Chicago is also worth visiting, especially since you've never been there before. The lake and architecture are stunning, the music, nightlife, and food are fantastic and unique, and the city just has a history, personality and a vibe completely different from New York. Chicago may not offer much that New York doesn't offer, but Chicago just offers things in a different way. The cities are far less similar than they seem from a far, which is a good thing for both cities.

Personally, I'd base the decision upon when you are planning to make a trip. If it's summer, I'd say Chicago is the better choice. That city is absolutely amazing in the summer, and it comes alive in such a grand way. Chicago is just more exciting than New York in the summer. If it's fall or spring, I'd say New York. The city is ridiculously beautiful in these two seasons, the weather is comfortable, and there are few places on Earth that are as vibrant, exciting, and downright wonderful as New York during spring or fall. Both cities are quite magical during the holidays, although I'd give New York the edge here for its slightly milder Nov/Dec weather and the more iconic holiday sights and festivities.
Post SUCCEED

Old 06-11-2012, 10:02 PM

408 posts, read 997,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaintBrah View Post
Aside from the lake, should I consider visiting NYC a second time as opposed to checking out what Chicago's got to offer? The last time I was in NY was roughly 10 years ago, and it was only for a few days.
I would visit Chicago since you haven't been there. This way, you can say you've been to both. You can re-visit NYC another time. They both offer similar things, but with different atmospheres: it's up to you to experience and judge for yourself.

Summer in Chicago is nice, but gets too humid for my tastes, well, the farther inland you go at least. I cannot say what NYC is like during that time, though. If you decide, check out what attractions or events are happening so you can make the best of your time. What sort of stuff do you want to do or see?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
New York doesn't have Chicago.

That's a corny answer, I know, but it's true. For me, they're two cities that could be loved equally for different things.

On paper, though, the only things that immediately come to mind is the "riverwalk" and being able to go to the beach downtown (Chicago). Someone also brought up that you can get around on foot just as easily as you can drive, which I've numerous times to be true.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
What?? Where on earth are you hearing that? I remember back 17 years ago when one of the worst heat waves in history hit the city and a ton of poor/older people died, many said it was because they didn't want to sleep with windows open on the first floor or didn't have air conditioning. I think the LOWS during that week were in the mid or upper 80's though. I wasn't here back then, I was just a kid, but I remember it on the news.

I'm sorry, but this is hardly a city where everyone is afraid of opening their windows cause they'll get murdered. I live in the heart of the city on the 1st floor and sleep with my windows open. There are lots of gang shootings and killings on the west/south side - but the fear of getting beaten to death in your bed by a random stranger while sleeping is pretty far fetched.

I'll be the first to admit the city has a horrible gang problem, although honestly other types of crimes and crimes against non gang members are actually somewhat low in the city. 80% of murders are gang related, with a vast majority younger males in select areas on the south/west sides of the city.

anyway....averages:

May:
High: 70
Low: 51

June:
High: 80
Low: 61

July:
High: 84
Low: 66

August:
High: 83
Low: 65

September:
High: 76
Low: 57

It CAN get really hot....but it's certainly not a "baking all summer" type of thing.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 06-12-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Chicago offers a lot that NYC doesn't. Every city has it own unique flavor and things to do and see.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:03 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
New York doesn't have Chicago.

That's a corny answer, I know, but it's true. For me, they're two cities that could be loved equally for different things.

On paper, though, the only things that immediately come to mind is the "riverwalk" and being able to go to the beach downtown (Chicago). Someone also brought up that you can get around on foot just as easily as you can drive, which I've numerous times to be true.

I've never been to Chicago and want to go, so please forgive the dumb question, but--do people swim in the lake?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
In Chicago, cops tell bums to take a hike, at least in The Loop area.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've never been to Chicago and want to go, so please forgive the dumb question, but--do people swim in the lake?
Yes, there are many beaches in / around Chicago that are used throughout the Summer. Right now the water temp is ~ 63F and it will get to the mid 70s by early August. All the Great Lakes are imminently swimmable except for perhaps Lake Superior, unless you don't mind the cold. There are the occasional e coli warnings at Chicago beaches and the rare box jellyfish scare (just kidding on this one) but frankly, Lake Michigan is a sportsman's paradise!

Last edited by BigLake; 06-12-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City