Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 03:54 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
I'm sorry but it's really not. I, by no means, would ever consider midwestern states like Missouri to be northern states.
Sorry but you're really wrong. You live in Massachusetts. You know nothing about the Midwest. Have you ever been to Missouri? Missouri is more of a Northern a state than a Southern one and this is backed up by most demographics outside of religion, culture, and linguistics. Don't make me school you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 03:56 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From a historical perspective, the North consists of the Northeast and what was then called the Northwest before the U.S. expanded westward, now dubbed the Midwest (i.e., the states that remained in the Union minus MD and KY). So technically yes, the Midwest is Northern but most people today just say "Northeast" or "Midwest" when referring to each region.
Kentucky was never considered part of the Midwest. That state is Southern in every single way. Maryland is for the most part a Northeastern state before a Southern one in the vast majority of the state save Southern Maryland.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:43 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy. Kentucky ultimately sided with the North in the Civil War. Virginia is more Southern.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:56 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,486 times
Virginia was once the 'landed gentry' of the South. Same with South Carolina and Georgia. Today, there is more difference between the western mountain part of Virginia, which has some commonality with Kentucky, than the eastern 'tidewater' part of the state, as well, 'blue grass' Kentucky is very different than eastern Kentucky.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Kentucky was never considered part of the Midwest. That state is Southern in every single way. Maryland is for the most part a Northeastern state before a Southern one in the vast majority of the state save Southern Maryland.
Reread my post. I said that historically, the North was pretty much the equivalent of the Union states, minus KY and MD.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Virginia was once the 'landed gentry' of the South. Same with South Carolina and Georgia. Today, there is more difference between the western mountain part of Virginia, which has some commonality with Kentucky, than the eastern 'tidewater' part of the state, as well, 'blue grass' Kentucky is very different than eastern Kentucky.
SC, yes; not so much GA though as it was founded as a penal colony.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:45 AM

771 posts, read 624,457 times
Kentucky, but barely. Kentucky seems to hold onto more traits that are typically viewed as “southern,” such as conservative politics, evangelism, country and bluegrass music, and a local culture revolving around bourbon and horses. There’s something about the Kentucky Derby that screams “southern” to me, despite the fact that Louisville is borderline Midwestern.

Virginia has an edge if we’re talking about the Civil War or the antebellum South, but in today’s world, it’s clear that a lot of stereotypical southern traits aren’t as strong as they used to be, especially in the areas near D.C.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:21 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Kentucky

Old 02-27-2022, 01:55 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Is this even a contest today? No doubt, Kentucky feels more culturally Southern to me, whenever I've visited both states. Though I don't doubt there's Midwest influence in the culture in both Louisville, and the 3 'northern Kentucky' counties south of Cincinnati. Although Southern culture still coexists in Louisville and northern Kentucky, no doubt.

Finally I get the sense more people from other parts of the US have moved into Virginia in recent years, vs. Kentucky. Especially the northern counties of the state, south and west of DC.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:45 PM

771 posts, read 624,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Is this even a contest today? No doubt, Kentucky feels more culturally Southern to me, whenever I've visited both states. Though I don't doubt there's Midwest influence in the culture in both Louisville, and the 3 'northern Kentucky' counties south of Cincinnati. Although Southern culture still coexists in Louisville and northern Kentucky, no doubt.

Finally I get the sense more people from other parts of the US have moved into Virginia in recent years, vs. Kentucky. Especially the northern counties of the state, south and west of DC.
Historically, Virginia might be a better answer. Not only was Richmond the capital of the Confederacy, but Robert E. Lee was from Virginia, as well. In the 1950s, Virginia resisted the integration of public schools in a pretty strong manner, almost like the Deep South states. Finally, Virginia had a prominent planter class, primarily in the Tidewater region. Today, you’re correct, though. Northern Virginia just doesn’t feel very southern anymore.

This relationship is kind of similar to North Carolina’s relationship with Tennessee. The state to the west is more southern (Tennessee) than the state to the east (North Carolina).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City