Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 PM

32,126 posts, read 34,797,313 times

Advertisements

DC has gotten a lot more expensive in the past two years. $500K used to get you a decent rowhouse in a semi-decent, transitional neighborhood. Based on a review of these listings, $500K in 2012 will just get you a bunch of garbage (or a condo).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM

80 posts, read 146,252 times
Cities I would want to live in (order of the best homes for the best price):
- Chicago
- Los Angeles
- Washington DC
- San Francisco

Cities I would consider living in:
- New York

I like a lot of things about Boston itself but not really up for living there with Bostonians.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:31 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,523,219 times
MLS # 21180636 - 5743 Stonechat Lane, Indianapolis IN, 46237 | Homes.com
MLS # 21161228 - 11014 Tenacious Dr, Indianapolis IN, 46236 | Homes.com
http://www.homes.com/listing/1649181...POLIS_IN_46256
These are my 3 picks.

Indianapolis, IN Homes for Sale & Real Estate | Homes.com
Minimum price 400k to 750,000$

Indy has the nations most affordable and desirable housing market for a reason
Do you think youll find these in NYC/Chicago or even Atlanta? Big House for an affordable price.
Also the 1% property tax cap comes out at 6k a year or 500 a month other states like NY have way higher property taxes.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indy has the nations most affordable and desirable housing market for a reason
Do you think youll find these in NYC/Chicago or even Atlanta?
Yes, if you go far enough outside the city.

19 Danville Dr, Greenlawn, NY 11740 MLS# 2371733 - Zillow

Nice single family home on a 1 acre, 2800 sq ft, a little over 40 miles from the center of the city (NYC).

Someone interested in living inside any of the cities listed is looking for a more urban, big city experience than getting lots of space (both lot and house-wise) what you're posting. You can't compare the two.

Oh whoops. I didn't pick on the square footage of those Indianopolis homes. Anything that size is well into the $1 million + range anywhere in the NYC metro, and probably any metro in the thread title. But what on the earth is one family going to do with 6000 square feet?!

Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, if you go far enough outside the city.

19 Danville Dr, Greenlawn, NY 11740 MLS# 2371733 - Zillow

Nice single family home on a 1 acre, 2800 sq ft, a little over 40 miles from the center of the city (NYC).

Someone interested in living inside any of the cities listed is looking for a more urban, big city experience than getting lots of space (both lot and house-wise) what you're posting. You can't compare the two.
now heres the ultimate question.
Is it to far out of the city that its a pain in the rear to try and drive or take mass transit to the Downtown area.
Gasoline prices are going up and those homes are within 10 miles of Downtown Indianapolis.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
now heres the ultimate question.
Is it to far out of the city that its a pain in the rear to try and drive or take mass transit to the Downtown area.
Gasoline prices are going up and those homes are within 10 miles of Downtown Indianapolis.
From that area, a lot of people commute (but not the majority of residents) commute to Manhattan and often visit the center city, generally by train. My family lives in a similar house, one of my parents commutes to Manhattan daily.

Train ride 55 mins to 1hr5 mins, monthly pass $300 or $18 roundtrip for a single ride.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
From that area, a lot of people commute (but not the majority of residents) commute to Manhattan and often visit the center city, generally by train. My family lives in a similar house, one of my parents commutes to Manhattan daily.

Train ride 55 mins to 1hr5 mins, monthly pass $300 or $18 roundtrip for a single ride.
what about property taxes though?
Indiana has a 1% cap so its very easy to calculate your max property tax.
Also that 300$ would have to go ontop of Insurance and property taxes assuming you dont have a car. Although i would cause Mass Transit cant take you everywhere.
If im not mistake Mass/NY state have very high property taxes from what i have heard.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
what about property taxes though?
Indiana has a 1% cap so its very easy to calculate your max property tax.
Also that 300$ would have to go ontop of Insurance and property taxes assuming you dont have a car. Although i would cause Mass Transit cant take you everywhere.
If im not mistake Mass/NY state have very high property taxes from what i have heard.
Zillow claims $13k/ year of property taxes for that Danville property. It's more NY that has very high property taxes especially Long Island. Some schools are better funded than private schools…

The NYC metro area has many places where it's comfortable to be without a car. That definitely isn't one. Though I suppose a 1 car household would be doable if one spouse drops the other at the train station every day.

Yes, Indianopolis is much, much cheaper than NYC. But that's not really surprising.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Zillow claims $13k/ year of property taxes for that Danville property. It's more NY that has very high property taxes especially Long Island. Some schools are better funded than private schools…

The NYC metro area has many places where it's comfortable to be without a car. That definitely isn't one. Though I suppose a 1 car household would be doable if one spouse drops the other at the train station every day.

Yes, Indianopolis is much, much cheaper than NYC. But that's not really surprising.
i usually dont argue with moderators cause i look up to them and they are reliable.
but its INDIANAPOLIS not Indianopolis.........
Indy is also a good name to use too.
plz dont use sterotypes.
I dont call it New Dork City and whatnot............. Sterotypes cut both ways.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
i usually dont argue with moderators cause i look up to them and they are reliable.
but its INDIANAPOLIS not Indianopolis.........
Indy is also a good name to use too.
plz dont use sterotypes.
Sorry, I make typos. It wasn't on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City