Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times

Advertisements

We hear a lot about how people could live and how some people do live in certain cities on C-D. But cost is obviously a limiting factor for the average person. So, if I were to write you a check for 500 big ones for the sole purpose of buying a home, which city would offer the best deal?

What neighborhood(s) would you be able to afford?

Would it be near public transit and other amenities?

Would it be a one-bedroom condo or three-bedroom house?

Would it be in a "transitional" neighborhood or a well-established one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
I'll add Chicago to the list, too.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:06 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,518,565 times
well with 500,000$ in Indianapolis i could buy an upscale home on Meridian Street on in Meridian Hills. or even Carmel and Fishers.
I would be in one of the fastest growing cities in the midwest and within a 20 min drive to Downtown so convience is king. Plus i actually probably could afford more due to Indy having a cost of living 20% below the national average. So i could afford more of a home and offset that with a low COL but having plenty of amendities too.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 PM

76 posts, read 337,357 times
Quote:
So, if I were to write you a check for 500 big ones for the sole purpose of buying a home, which city would offer the best deal?
That much money would pay for a premium apartment in Philadelphia for a few years at least, so that's somewhat like buying a home for me. So it'd be Phiadelphia for me, choosing from the list.

Quote:
With that much money, I could afford to move into an apartment in Center City.

Quote:
yeah BUDDY, smack-dab in the heart of the city.

Quote:
1 bedroom apartment.

Quote:
I'd imagine Philly being well-established downtown.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,009,875 times
$500k wouldn't get you much of anything in any of those cities except for Philadelpia or Chicago, and even then it's not going to be that nice. If I'm going to spend that much money, it needs to be nice.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,893,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
$500k wouldn't get you much of anything in any of those cities except for Philadelpia or Chicago, and even then it's not going to be that nice. If I'm going to spend that much money, it needs to be nice.
That's not true. It might not buy the lap of luxury, but all of those cities have listings for condos well under $500,000. And some of the more outlying sections of Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, and DC will have single family homes for about that or not much more. Housing is expensive in these cities, but mostly what is meant by this is that you are buying something smaller on less land. It doesn't mean there isn't anything that's affordable.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,957,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
That's not true. It might not buy the lap of luxury, but all of those cities have listings for condos well under $500,000. And some of the more outlying sections of Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, and DC will have single family homes for about that or not much more. Housing is expensive in these cities, but mostly what is meant by this is that you are buying something smaller on less land. It doesn't mean there isn't anything that's affordable.
yes many available

here is 450-550 seacrh

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-450000-550000

Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,682,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
yes many available

here is 450-550 seacrh

Damn, those seem like some pretty nice places for those prices. The # of bedrooms/baths and square footage you can get in the city is really good. And the amount of land you get in the suburbs is a lot imo. My standards have clearly been lowered by living in overpriced CA. If all my family and childhood friends weren't here I'd easily choose Philly or Chicago if I had $500K to buy.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,893,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
yes many available

here is 450-550 seacrh

86 pages of listings for Boston priced beetween $250,000 and $500,000

Boston Real Estate & Homes for Sales in Boston - Boston

Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 PM

8,983 posts, read 17,305,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We hear a lot about how people could live and how some people do live in certain cities on C-D. But cost is obviously a limiting factor for the average person. So, if I were to write you a check for 500 big ones for the sole purpose of buying a home, which city would offer the best deal?

If someone gifted me $500K, I would probably stay in Indianapolis; most likely buy a house by Mass Ave/St Joseph or the Old Northside. Perhaps I would move to Irvington.

Given that this is not the concept of the thread and I'll play along.........I would move to Chicago, within a block of a Red or Blue line stop near Belmont Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City