Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you Prefer? Philadelphia or Pittsburgh?
Philadelphia 145 51.06%
Pittsburgh 101 35.56%
Both 38 13.38%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:46 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times

Advertisements

Just curious what the general public thinks since there has been some bickering on the Pennsylvania Forum between the cities. Which one do you prefer? Philadelphia or Pittsburgh? Comparing entire metros of both cities.

Downtown-
COL/QOL-
Cultural Amenities-
GDP/GMP-
Jobs-
Population-
Overall Vibrancy (outside of downtown)-
Nightlife-
Shopping-
Eduction (public, private, charter)-
Higher Education (Universities)-
Natural location-
Proximity to other things-
Crime-
Architecture-
Sports-

A thread more about what you would actually prefer... don't have to follow the facts to make your choice.

I encourage everyone to post pictures if necessary.

Last edited by JMT; 06-26-2012 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: No skyline comparisons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 02:02 PM

80 posts, read 145,978 times
Pittsburgh by far.

I've always wanted to see Pittsburgh. According to my uncle we've driven through it on our way from Chicago to Washington DC before but I was very young and don't remember it. I'm actually considering Pittsburgh for relocation for a couple of years but I'm also considering hoardes of other places too.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Philadelphia overall as it's the much more interesting city, though which one I'd move to would depend on what the personal circumstances are.

Philadelphia has some incredibly scenic neighborhoods and many of its formerly rough neighborhoods seem to be improving at a rapid rate. Meanwhile, many Center City neighborhoods beat out any neighborhood Pittsburgh currently has to offer--albeit at a fairly high (though I feel are still fairly reasonable given what you get) cost of living.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
I voted both.

I think Philly has the great location...close to NYC and the Jersey Shore.

I think Pittsburgh is very attractive and has good QOL...plus it's more affordable and probably more down-to-earth.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:42 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Sports- tough one... Pitt only has the Steelers basically... the Penguins are good too but no one supports them. Philly has the Phillies which are always good and always better than the Pirates. Flyers and Penguins are tied. Steelers are usually better than the Eagles but the Eagles may be better this year. Pitt doesn't have an answer for the Sixers. I think Philly takes the edge here.
No one supports the penguins?!!? Are you serious?!?! The pens have sold out every game since February 2007 and have a season ticket waiting list of 5,000+ people. Yeah no support. The Pens also blow out the Flyers with support on Facebook with 1,189,000 fans of the Pens opposed to 809,000 fans of the Flyers, and that metro is significantly large than Pittsburgh.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 06-17-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 03:45 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Downtown- Philly
Skyline- Pittsburgh
COL/QOL- Pittsburgh
Cultural Amenities- Philly
GDP/GMP- Philly
Jobs- Pittsburgh. Philly has had near flat job growth the past year while Pittsburgh is one of the only cities in the country with more jobs NOW then 4 years ago. If you don't believe me here you go.
Pittsburgh, PA Economy at a Glance
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Economy at a Glance
Population- Pittsburgh. I prefer mid sized metros over large ones.
Overall Vibrancy (outside of downtown)- Pittsburgh
Nightlife- Toss up
Shopping- Philly
Eduction (public, private, charter)- Toss up
Higher Education (Universities)- Toss up
Natural location- Pittsburgh
Proximity to other things- Philly
Crime- Pittsburgh
Architecture- Toss up.
Sports- Pittsburgh.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:25 PM

230 posts, read 286,222 times
Voted for Philly. Don't know if that makes me a "homer", or not. For the record, I really like Pittsburgh a lot. Maybe the most underrated city in the nation, IMHO. Great, great town.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,739 times
Philly even though has high crime rate

Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times
I'll take Picksburg. Philly has lots of plus points but still huge areas of the city are just run-down slums. Very depressing to look at. The bad parts of the Burgh take up a much smaller percentage of the city's land area.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
What I find interesting is, Chicago has the same proportion of "ghetto" neighborhoods as Philadelphia, but nobody hates Chicago for it the way they hate Philadelphia. The only possible explanation is that all the good neighborhoods in Chicago are contiguous, so it's easier to ignore the rest of the city.

As for Pittsburgh, you can find "the ghetto" outside the city limits in the Monongahela River Valley, and those former company towns look no more inspiring than the worst of Philadelphia. In fact, they might even be more depressing because they're isolated away from the city with no easy access to it, and being both distant from the city and off the beaten path makes their chances of renewal virtually zero.

That aside, this is a contest between the two most underrated cities in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City