Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

We are road tripping from DC to KC and want to stop in a city for the 4th and would like to see a big fireworks show. While I'm sure all of these cities have many great shows throughout their metros, do any of these cities have an amazing fireworks show that would stand out from the rest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
We are road tripping from DC to KC and want to stop in a city for the 4th and would like to see a big fireworks show. While I'm sure all of these cities have many great shows throughout their metros, do any of these cities have an amazing fireworks show that would stand out from the rest?
Indy has the best setup and a good show.
First the fireworks in Indy are shot off 500 feet in the air ontop of the Regions Bank Tower.
2nd the American Legion mall and the War memorial parks are the perfect spot to sit and watch the fireworks and they are just north of the Regions tower so its a great view that isnt blocked by trees/skyscrapers etc.
3rd the crowds were quite big too and i was amazed at how many fireworks they lit off.
Shooting fireworks off over 500 feet in the air is quite unique i have to say.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Can't speak for the other cities, but Columbus should have a good show this year. It's usually one of the largest in the Midwest anyway, but this year is Columbus' bicentennial, so it's been promised to be even larger. It's usually shot off from the Scioto Peninsula on the opposite side of the river from Downtown, so the riverfront is the best viewing. With the new parks there, including the very cool fountains for the kids (and you) to stay cool in, it should be a pretty great time to be there this year. I'm sorry to be missing it this time around.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 PM

170 posts, read 325,990 times
Indy's fireworks are pretty good. I grew up there. Unless it has changed, the firworks are shot from the top of the 505-foot building called Regions Bank downtown. You can see the fireworks for miles.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:48 PM

249 posts, read 609,720 times
Yes Columbus has the Red White Boom and as mentioned before this year will be an even larger event due to the bi-cenntenial celebration.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Indy's fireworks are pretty good. I grew up there. Unless it has changed, the firworks are shot from the top of the 505-foot building called Regions Bank downtown. You can see the fireworks for miles.
yep. Heck when i was down in Indy for the wonderful Circle of Lights thats where they shot the fireworks off of.
Wonder how long they have been doing that though.
Anyway its also very affordable to book a hotel downtown too in Indy with the new JW Marriott and other hotels so you can stay close to the fireworks and not have to hassle with parking.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Thanks for the info. Sounds like we should be good at any of them. May end up in Columbus. I'm going to spend a day in each city and that may delay us getting to Indy in time. Does that new Marriott have any balconies, terraces, windows that open etc? I doubt it, but it never hurts to ask.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Sounds like we should be good at any of them. May end up in Columbus. I'm going to spend a day in each city and that may delay us getting to Indy in time. Does that new Marriott have any balconies, terraces, windows that open etc? I doubt it, but it never hurts to ask.
the new Marriot is around 150-200$ per night however its 38 stories tall but it doesnt have a balcony. however its a short walk away from the University park and American Legion plaza. The fireworks are schedualed for around 10 PM on the 4th.
What To Do | Donatos Downtown Freedom Blast Independence Day Fireworks Show | Visit Indy
Official Tourism Site of Indianapolis | Visit Indy

theres a link to the event.
Hotels with balconies will depend on where you shop. i would recommend looking around. i do know the Marriott doesnt have any though. Although some rooms may have windows that open. from the looks of the hotel i believe you can open them and they have big windows.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Cincinnati's big fireworks event is always Labor Day weekend with Riverfest, and it's absolutely one of the best annual fireworks displays anywhere in the world. As for July 4 fireworks, Columbus' Red White & Boom is your best bet. It's a big party and is very well done.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:04 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Cincinnati's big fireworks event is always Labor Day weekend with Riverfest, and it's absolutely one of the best annual fireworks displays anywhere in the world. As for July 4 fireworks, Columbus' Red White & Boom is your best bet. It's a big party and is very well done.

Riverfest is one of the best! I also like Chicago's Navy Pier show, it is amazing as they are shot off of two barges. We go out on a boat to watch them, as close as we can get to the barges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City