Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly-San Francisco A Reasonable Comparison?
Yes 65 49.24%
No 67 50.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I agree with this. When I lived out there it was mostly the opposite. SF is many things NYC isn't. It is only on this board where I've seen comparisons drawn, never in real life. In his defense, that is probably what he is referring to... the board.
Yea this board has a few of those loose screws that IMO dont heed up to IRL statuses.

In the US, character doesn't get any more bold and distinguishable then NYC, LA, San Francisco's, etc. Better or worse, depending on who you ask, these cities have an aura to them that is distinctly their own and cant be confused with any other IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:36 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
I'm very torn here. I absolutely don't think Philly is better than SF, and to answer the question, overall no it is not a fair comparison. In aspects, Philly IMO wins (history and grittiness for two) but overall I think SF is on a bit of a higher league.

But I am unhappy and kind of disgusted with some of the arrogance coming off certain people on one particular side of this debate in earlier pages (I didn't get past the middle).

I also don't ever like to see Philly using NJ's coast to boost itself. I thought this was asking about city proper, as do most city vs city polls in general, and overall I don't like when people from a city bring in outside areas when doing city vs city. Yes, it's the metro region but Atlantic City's skyline doesn't benefit Philadelphia in any way. Like Oakland's doesn't benefit SF. SF is the premier city, and while Oakland and SJ are mentioned, they aren't used to boost SF (unless by homers ) while I frequently see people using the Jersey Shore to boost Philly, which is the premier city in question. You don't see NYC using the Jersey Shore to boost NYC and you don't usually see SF using the whole Bay Area to boost the city of SF. Drives me crazy when I see someone from Philly post a picture of the Jersey Shore as a "look at what Philly has to offer!" gimmick. Just like it would drive me crazy if someone from NYC did, too, before someone could accuse me of that. Maybe it's the fact that NJ is a totally different state with an identity and distinct shore culture, but just my two cents. As a whole, this thread is a mess and the OP had to know it would turn into this.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm very torn here. I absolutely don't think Philly is better than SF, and to answer the question, overall no it is not a fair comparison. In aspects, Philly IMO wins (history and grittiness for two) but overall I think SF is on a bit of a higher league.

But I am unhappy and kind of disgusted with some of the arrogance coming off certain people on one particular side of this debate in earlier pages (I didn't get past the middle).

I also don't ever like to see Philly using NJ's coast to boost itself. I thought this was asking about city proper, as do most city vs city polls in general, and overall I don't like when people from a city bring in outside areas when doing city vs city. Yes, it's the metro region but Atlantic City's skyline doesn't benefit Philadelphia in any way. Like Oakland's doesn't benefit SF. SF is the premier city, and while Oakland and SJ are mentioned, they aren't used to boost SF (unless by homers ) while I frequently see people using the Jersey Shore to boost Philly, which is the premier city in question. You don't see NYC using the Jersey Shore to boost NYC and you don't usually see SF using the whole Bay Area to boost the city of SF. Drives me crazy when I see someone from Philly post a picture of the Jersey Shore as a "look at what Philly has to offer!" gimmick. Just like it would drive me crazy if someone from NYC did, too, before someone could accuse me of that. Maybe it's the fact that NJ is a totally different state with an identity and distinct shore culture, but just my two cents. As a whole, this thread is a mess and the OP had to know it would turn into this.
It's better than getting on a plane and flying to Colorado used for boosting though

Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Agreed, but it's mostly just the extreme Cali boosters.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
I You don't see NYC using the Jersey Shore to boost NYC and you don't usually see SF using the whole Bay Area to boost the city of SF. Drives me crazy when I see someone from Philly post a picture of the Jersey Shore as a "look at what Philly has to offer!" gimmick. Just like it would drive me crazy if someone from NYC did, too, before someone could accuse me of that...
They are too preoccupied with boosting Long Island beaches and the Hamptons.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
They are too preoccupied with boosting Long Island beaches and the Hamptons.
Or the ones within city limits.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:59 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:

Lol this made me chuckle because it could not be more false especially since some posters believe that SF and the rest of the bay area are one city under a single entity. They even compare cities by CSAs all the time just to depict that they are the 5th largest city in the US when in reality they have the 11th largest MSA and 14th largest city proper. Sounds like boosting to me.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
Quote:
. As a whole, this thread is a mess and the OP had to know it would turn into this.
Honestly: I thought it might. But I sincerely hoped it wouldn't. I (personally) got over my East Coast bias years ago: seriously, how hard is it to acknowledge that there is no "right" or "wrong" kind of city?; cities and metros just evolve over time in distinct ways that give them their own unique flavor and identity....and this is a Good Thing. I really hoped that maturity would win out and that, for the most part, there would be a reasoned discussion of the similarities and differences between the two cities and regions, which, to me at least, are intriguing. I make no apologies for being a Philly booster, and being proud of my city, but I have no need or desire to denigrate San Francisco or the the Bay Area (or any other cities, for that matter) to validate my opinion. San Francisco is without question one of the premier cities in the United States, and I have no problem admitting that frankly, there are
things about the city and region that our city and region, particularly our business community, could benefit by emulating. There has been some insightful, civil, and well-reasoned discourse along this thread, but you're right, in too many places it has devolved into juvenile and petty mudslinging, from supporters of both cities. Truly not my intention, and for that, I apologize.

Last edited by LiveFrom215; 08-08-2013 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: again with the typos.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 549 times
I think if you are comparing JUST the city proper, you could make a fair comparison. (SF proper is a very small city from a geographic viewpoint). But if we are talking Greater Philly s. Greater SF then the Bay Area is just a league higher I think IMHO.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90210Angeles View Post
I think if you are comparing JUST the city proper, you could make a fair comparison. (SF proper is a very small city from a geographic viewpoint). But if we are talking Greater Philly s. Greater SF then the Bay Area is just a league higher I think IMHO.
So is Philadelphia when you compare it to the top 10 largest cities. Both cities have small city limits, so you can't use that as an excuse in this comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City