Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly-San Francisco A Reasonable Comparison?
Yes 65 49.24%
No 67 50.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,779,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Good you admit as much.

Let me bring you back to our time on household income.

Phily $78,752
San Jose $108,623
San Francisco $99,386

American FactFinder - Results
The $78,752 in Philadelphia goes a lot farther than the $99,386 in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,995,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
On the otherhand The Rittenhouse Square retail district has higher per sq ft rents than just about every other downtown shopping district in the usa outside of Manhattan. University Citys retail is very upscale.
Union Square $400 per square foot (SF)
Walnut Street $100 per square foot (Phily)

http://www.colliers.com/content/Reta...Spring2010.pdf

Both downtown Oakland and San Francisco are more expensive than downtown Phily. They are both more desirable for businesses.
Average rent in downtowns per square feet

San Francisco $36
Oakland $30.80

Top 10 Most Expensive US Office Markets

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,982,359 times
Quote:
Good you admit as much.

Let me bring you back to our time on household income.

Phily $78,752
San Jose $108,623
San Francisco $99,386

American FactFinder - Results

Your Results

[SIZE=5]Comparable salary in
[/SIZE]San Francisco, CA
[SIZE=7]$102,503[/SIZE]

Was just curious when using the $78,752

If you move from Philadelphia, PAto ....
Groceries will cost:
7% less

Housing will cost:
102% more

Utilities will cost:
30% less

Transportation will cost:
4% more

Healthcare will cost:
7% more

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney

seem very comparable when adjusted for COL

regardless to me yes they are comparable, different enough to both be very interesting to me.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Well you were making an objective "likeness" comparison, but you're asking me for a subjective distinction?
No. I made a claim and backed it up to you naysayers.
Quote:
Alright, Oakland doesn't have the depth of history
It does for the west coast and that's been my argument all along. Downtown Oakland can pass off as a mini downtown Phily, especially for the west coast where it shares similarities with downtowns back east.
Quote:
Oakland doesn't have distinct more developed neighborhoods right next to each other
It does.
Quote:
and Oakland's art scene is not even close to being a mini version of Philly's.
They look about the same, neither have an art scene that places with San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, or Boston and when they don't place at that level it just becomes subjective.
Quote:
Did I write that you were discrediting, no, I was answering another poster's inquiry. If that's how you feel, alright.
You did. You comment was "given this posters prior statements on Phily". Whats that supposed to mean?
Quote:
You are exactly right.
I know.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Also most of San Fran's crime is centered outside of the city in places like Oakland
Oakland
Even in the economic meltdown the country has been in for the past few years, violent crime has been falling in many major cities in the country. Big cities like New York, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, Oakland, CA and others have recorded significant drops in crime.
http://davidmuhammad.com/DM%20By%20A...%20by%20DM.pdf

Phily
In Philadelphia, the new year started much like the old one ended. Between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning there were more than a dozen reported shootings and six murders. Among the top ten most populous cities–Philadelphia is the fifth largest–the city not only has the highest murder rate, it also has the lowest murder closure rate. Last week, as 2011 drew to a close, the year-end crime-statistics report secured the city an unenviable first, yet again: Not only was Philadelphia’s murder rate up, but Philadelphia once again leads the nation in per capita murders, with 21 murders per 100,000 residents.
http://www.victoriabrownworth.com/20...ses-in-philly/
Quote:
and a lot of the wealth is centered in the city.
Right San Francisco has many wealthy areas in the city but the metro has just as many wealthy areas in the suburbs as the city, if not more so.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,873,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
It's called a metropolitan area. Philly has one too. Anyone truly interested in urban issues should know that city limits are basically meaningless in the grand scheme of things...
So then where do the boundaries for metro areas end? What happens if you're five minutes or five miles from the border of the metro? Is a person in that situation living in the metro or not based on the, seemingly just as arbitrary, boundaries used to define said "metro"? It can't be avoided. Some people, places or things are going to be left out of any accounting on any front or metric.

And what is a metro anyway? Isn't it really just a bunch of cities with arbitrary boundaries to begin with that happen to have ties to each other? So for me, using the official city boundaries doesn't always yield a pound for pound, inch for inch comparison on paper, but it could be a very comparable and surprising match up in real life.

Think of it like an election. Person A is running against Person B. They can have different physical builds, mannerisms, beliefs, etc. But what matters is what they themselves have done, or can do. That is like comparing cities by their current legal boundaries.

But comparing a metro to a city is like Person A saying because his brother is a CEO of a huge company and his sister is a top ranked doctor in the country, Person A is a better candidate than Person B. Or going metro to metro allows for Person B to say that his father is a war hero, his daughter is a lawyer, and his cousin won the lottery so Person B is a better candidate. And then maybe Person A can retort by saying Person B's father is a drunk, his daughter a lousy lawyer, his cousin is toothless, therefore Person A is the better candidate.

So on, and so forth. I don't really care what family and friends of the candidate do or don't do if all I'm comparing are two specific people, or cities in this case.

In this regard, I'm leaning towards not really comparable because San Francisco, from what I can tell, is more "complete" for lack of a better word, and stands fairly well on it's own. While Philadelphia, it seems, is more apt to rely on "family" (other cities) to be firmly situated. Take the city limits of San Francisco and everything inside them out of the Bay and it seems like it would be a disaster for the region. While it seems like if Philadelphia was removed from the East Coast, life might stumble a step or two, but quickly regain stride.

And furthermore, arbitrary city boundaries don't matter in the grand scheme of things???

Taxes don't matter?
Laws don't matter?
Schools don't matter?
Police don't matter?
Firemen don't matter?
Crime doesn't matter?
Public transportation doesn't matter?
How public funds are used in the present and future doesn't matter?
How land is zoned and utilized doesn't matter?

Those things seem to matter to a lot of people.

Just my thoughts.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Same reason you don't leave the United States even though you think it's "terrible" here, I suppose.
California is better than the rest of the United States and I like most western states, rest of the country east of the rockies maybe but east of the river definitely not. Furthest east I like is Austin but do want to see some of the areas in UP Michigan. NYC, Boston, Phily, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Detroit, Minneapolis and everything that far east you can forget about it. I like Pittsburgh, its an island of beauty for me back east.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
In this regard, I'm leaning towards not really comparable because San Francisco, from what I can tell, is more "complete" for lack of a better word, and stands fairly well on it's own. While Philadelphia, it seems, is more apt to rely on "family" (other cities) to be firmly situated. Take the city limits of San Francisco and everything inside them out of the Bay and it seems like it would be a disaster for the region. While it seems like if Philadelphia was removed from the East Coast, life might stumble a step or two, but quickly regain stride.
That's quite a statement for a city whose #1 industry is TOURISM. Out of the 30 or so Fortune 500 companies in the Bay Area, something like only 7 are actually in the city of SF. Outside of Wells Fargo and Visa pretty much all the big companies based in the Bay Area are in the suburbs. Facebook, Google, Intel, Apple, Chevron, etc.. all in the suburbs.

The Bay Area is what it is today largely because of SILICON VALLEY. While SF does have plenty of tech companies there, the big boys are down south. Twitter, Zynga, and Salesforce, etc.. aren't enough to hold up the Bay Area's economy.

What's funny is all the REVERSE commuting out of SF. There are so many company shuttles that bring workers down to Silicon Valley from their trendy little apartments in SF.

Without SF we would be missing one very scenic, urban city but economy-wise, it wouldn't hurt nearly as much as Silicon Valley disappearing. SF relies on it's suburbs quite heavily.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,716,293 times
Quote:
I never did get a response from you rainingrocks about that beach picture. So where is it really? I know its not in NJ and PA doesn't have a coastline.

Your no response speaks for itself.
I told you it's probably Cape May or another beach in South Jersey close by... did you not see my post?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I told you it's probably Cape May or another beach in South Jersey close by...
Show me pictures that look like that from a reputable site please. I looked up Cape May and Ocean City and they dont look like that and I have been to Ocean City and it wasn't like that. His picture says "Wildwood" and I looked that up and it doesn't look like that. Plus how is it even possible for the north Atlantic to have sky blue clear water when its depths near the shores are deeper? (which makes the water dark blue)
Quote:
did you not see my post?
I didn't see it. Sorry about that this thread blew up from my last post last night to when I logged in this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City