Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly-San Francisco A Reasonable Comparison?
Yes 65 49.24%
No 67 50.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,933,351 times

Advertisements

He was saying the SF Bay Area contributes a lot more than the greater Philadelphia area (essentially, SF CSA contributes more than Philly CSA), not that the SF MSA is bigger than the Philly MSA (which is what you're linking to).

By the way, the title link for SF's MSA in the wikipedia page is misleading. It's called the "San Francisco Bay Area," when in fact that's not actually true. It should be tittled SF-Oakland MSA (since that's what it is), not the SF Bay Area (since it's not SF+Oak+SJ, which is what the "Bay Area" is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,673,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Correct, so it's pretty ridiculous to make a statement saying the Bay Area would be an absolute disaster w/o everything in the city limits of SF, which is what I was originally arguing against. I feel like I'm going in circles. To you, first SF is the Bay Area's powerhouse, now it's too small to be one...so which is it? To infer the Bay Area's economy revolves around SF is simply not true imo and that was the point I have repeated all along.
Wait, I didn't say it didn't revolve around SF--SF is actually the hub of the Bay Area's economy in about the same way most old downtown CBDs are the hub for the metro overall. And its cultural and social hub. It certainly doesn't have the numbers that the areas in all the rest of the metros have--but that's the case for nearly every metro in the US save for those with cities which have massive boundaries.

The what-if game is a bad scenario though, since it's really hard to determine the exact conditions for a hypothetical Bay Area where there was never a SF.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,651,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

The what-if game is a bad scenario though, since it's really hard to determine the exact conditions for a hypothetical Bay Area where there was never a SF.
The whole Bay Area would be just like San Jose.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM

36,687 posts, read 67,696,695 times
lol...better San Jose than Camden.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,754,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wait, I didn't say it didn't revolve around SF--SF is actually the hub of the Bay Area's economy in about the same way most old downtown CBDs are the hub for the metro overall. And its cultural and social hub. It certainly doesn't have the numbers that the areas in all the rest of the metros have--but that's the case for nearly every metro in the US save for those with cities which have massive boundaries.
True, many central cities don't have the largest concentration of a regions top companies anymore. NYC may be one of the only cities where that is still the case. But I'd be interested to see how the city of SF stacks up against the cities of Boston, Chicago, Philly, DC, etc.. with a similar list to the what Krudmonk posted; showing where the regions tops 200 companies are located. I'd imagine DC has a large amount in the suburbs. But today, Silicon Valley is the economic hub of the Bay Area imo. SF will always be the cultural and social hub but business-wise, it's the areas outside the city that make this region the powerhouse that it is.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,673,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The whole Bay Area would be just like San Jose.
The entire settlement history would be radically different, so it's probably impossible to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
True, many central cities don't have the largest concentration of a regions top companies anymore. NYC may be one of the only cities where that is still the case. But I'd be interested to see how the city of SF stacks up against the cities of Boston, Chicago, Philly, DC, etc.. with a similar list to the what Krudmonk posted; showing where the regions tops 200 companies are located. I'd imagine DC has a large amount in the suburbs. But today, Silicon Valley is the economic hub of the Bay Area imo. SF will always be the cultural and social hub but business-wise, it's the areas outside the city that make this region the powerhouse that it is.
If you're looking at Fortune 500 headquarters, then yes, by large margins for all of those save for NYC (though I think if you took NYC's CSA then it gets somewhat close to between NYC proper and the rest of the CSA).

Silicon Valley is the hub for the tech industry, but that industry functions as a whole with that in SF. Overall, SF still operates mostly as the hub (in my opinion).

Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,754,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
And that graphic is from the newballpark blog, hence the breakdown by team territory at the bottom.
Nice find, further illustrates what a bunch of greedy pr*cks the Giants organization are, but that's SF for you! If it wasn't for the A's the Midgets would be playing in some leaky dome in Florida right now; terriortial rights my a*s.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,866,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
He was saying the SF Bay Area contributes a lot more than the greater Philadelphia area (essentially, SF CSA contributes more than Philly CSA), not that the SF MSA is bigger than the Philly MSA (which is what you're linking to).

By the way, the title link for SF's MSA in the wikipedia page is misleading. It's called the "San Francisco Bay Area," when in fact that's not actually true. It should be tittled SF-Oakland MSA (since that's what it is), not the SF Bay Area (since it's not SF+Oak+SJ, which is what the "Bay Area" is).
For reference (using numbers posted on this board), San Francisco's GCSAP (I have no idea what to call that) is $544.969 Billion and Philadelphia is CSA $366.792 Billion. That's a pretty big difference. I know a lot of Philadelphians would want to claim Trenton too, which would put Philadelphia up to 393.472 billion, which is still way behind the San Francisco Bay Area.

Now, if the title of this thread was "Is it fair to compare the Delaware Valley to the San Francisco Bay Area," I'd say no. That would be ridiculous. The Bay Area has 2-3 large cities and the Delaware Valley is primarily Philadelphia. But Philadelphia and San Francisco can be compared if for no other reason than they're both large, important cities.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,933,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
For reference (using numbers posted on this board), San Francisco's GCSAP (I have no idea what to call that) is $544.969 Billion and Philadelphia is CSA $366.792 Billion. That's a pretty big difference. I know a lot of Philadelphians would want to claim Trenton too, which would put Philadelphia up to 393.472 billion, which is still way behind the San Francisco Bay Area.

Now, if the title of this thread was "Is it fair to compare the Delaware Valley to the San Francisco Bay Area," I'd say no. That would be ridiculous. The Bay Area has 2-3 large cities and the Delaware Valley is primarily Philadelphia. But Philadelphia and San Francisco can be compared if for no other reason than they're both large, important cities.
OK, fine.

By the way, just so you know, I'm not claiming what you're saying is incorrect. Rather, I was clarifying what krudmonk was saying here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk
And from San Francisco's own paper:
SFGate: Chronicle 200

So obviously you're both right. San Francisco contributes a lot, as does the rest of the region. All together, it blows away most others, including that valley in Delaware.

And that graphic is from the newballpark blog, hence the breakdown by team territory at the bottom.
When one say's "region" in SF, they're talking about the SF Bay Area, not SF's MSA (which is ridiculously split up from SJ's MSA due to Census one-size-fits-all rules for defining metros).

Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,291,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
But Philadelphia and San Francisco can be compared if for no other reason than they're both large, important cities.
Actually, as I categorize cities, only one is large. Hence, the the reason I find it a disservice to SF when people persist in comparing it against Philly and other large cities. If comparing actual cities (not metros), SF should be matched against those more its size (Indy, Austin and such), which I find it fares quite well against. I'm sure most would agree it definitely punches above its weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City