Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00ST View Post
Whatever helps you sleep better at night. Outside of your delusion, and in reality, people in the South enjoy scenes like this year-round:
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BBF3T7/moss...gia-BBF3T7.jpg
Actually its more like this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kim_thibodeaux/3703410090

Dead looking. You don't even post any winter pictures because you know how lifeless it looks.
Quote:
The Sabal Palmetto is not the hardiest of palms, and the Southern ecosystem is infinitely more active year-round than any other ecosystem in the CONUS. That is fact, and no-one with any ecological sense would dispute that.
Actually it is, the hardiest palms that are native to the US are all from the Southeastern US. They have to be to survive those frigid arctic temps in winter the South regularly sees.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hardy_palms
Quote:
I know common thunderstorms tend to scare West Coasters who never experienced them, since the heaviest rain they are used to is cold drizzles, but please, the Southern climate is far from violent and deadly.
During the summer, you have lots of thunderstorms, meaning lots of time to enjoy the show, Netflix and chill, play Xbox, PS4, etc. Then, the sun will come out shortly (unlike in the PNW, where rainy weather systems last the whole day), making for bright times outdoors; great evenings in the cooler, rain-cooled air ensue, good for outings at restaurants, night-clubs, etc.
No deadly weather scares us because you know, it kills people.
You even have a cute nickname for the area with all the deadly tornadoes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Alley
Quote:
The hurricane threat is far overblown; any given area of the southern coastline isn't likely to always be under-the-gun for hurricanes all the time. Even when they are present, hurricanes are by far the easiest disaster to prepare for, with weeks at time for prep to be made. Also, weak hurricanes, or tropical storms, don't really do much damage; one can basically just Netflix and chill with no problem. Because of how little damage can be, there is a reason why hurricane parties are thrown:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_party
Ya'll aren't too bright are you down there: Hurricane Party
Quote:
I feel more sorry for the people who commit suicide in the gray cloud of depression that is the PNW much of the year.
I feel sorry for all the people who don't choose to but still die from all the deadly weather in the South.
Quote:
It also yields bountiful subtropical agriculture people all over the US take for granted today (cotton, tobacco, indigo, rice, sugar cane, citrus, bananas, mangos, guava, coconuts, etc).
Stop trying to ride South Florida's nuts, Mississippi and Georgia aren't growing coconuts and mangoes.

Guess you take the good with the bad. Enjoy your sugar cane as the mosquitoes swarm all around and spread the Zika virus.
Quote:
The best beaches in the US are in the South:
http://destin4me.com/wp-content/them...ges/banner.jpg
They're in Florida not Louisiana, Georgia, etc..or that mud hole that you call the Texas coastline.
Quote:
Tell that to the Native Americans who did so for thousands of years, as well as to the people who lived there since before the mid-20th century, with the advent of A/C. As I've show in the postcards of Houston and New Orleans, even without A/C, Southern cities were thriving and full of commerce.
Houston was small before AC, NOLA is an exception. Few people migrated to the South before A/C because it's so unlivable to all but the hardiest of people. With the oppressive summers and violent, deadly weather it takes a lot to live there. Probably why it's the least developed region of the US with Human Development Index ratings on par with developing countries.
Quote:
Just your jealousy because the rest of the CONUS isn't as exotic as the Southeast.
Trust me I'm not jealous living in a place with states that has a lower HDI than Ecuador and Mexico lol:
The Map Scroll: Is Part of the United States in the Third World?

No wonder you're always comparing the south to regions full of third world countries, it goes beyond just climate I see!

Old 05-19-2016, 10:59 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,180,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Actually its more like this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kim_thibodeaux/3703410090

Dead looking. You don't even post any winter pictures because you know how lifeless it looks.

The Map Scroll: Is Part of the United States in the Third World?

No wonder you're always comparing the south to regions full of third world countries, it goes beyond just climate I see!
Brunei, Slovenia, Greece, Bahrain, Cyprus, Portugal, Spain, Kuwait, Qatar etc.. have better human development index than FL? Hmm..Cuba better than OK, TN? The Arab countries keep their women in burqas, even in 2016. Spain has 22% unemployment and things are not too bad there as in some other European countries. Is this a liberal San Fransicko link? Also from 2009? Nice..

In addition, haven't you been following the financial crisis in Europe past 6 yrs? Do you think that has not affected many countries' HDI or their per capita? Btw, CA almost went bankrupt in 2011, just like Greece(both largely welfare places), so I wouldn't talk about what states are 3rd world.

And Spanish moss oak trees don't go dead in the winter either (at least by the gulf states).

Last edited by Trigger-f; 05-19-2016 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 11:39 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well if you consider northwest SC, north Georgia, and north Alabama the Deep South, then yes it does.
Those still don't compare to the PNW. The PNW has not just mountains but volcanic mountains such as Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:04 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,423,055 times
it is subjective to say PNW is better than western SC, etc. I prefer the Blue Ridge Mountains, etc to Mt. Rainier, etc.

SC is not even in the 'Deep South' anyway. It was one of the original colonies. Deep South refers to the southern states that grew after US won its independence, where cotton the cash crop was king, MS, AL, and LA. 'Deep' is deep in relation to the northeast.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:34 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,432,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No it's not; Dallas-Fort Worth takes that honor.
I did not see it.I googled "number one city people ar are moving to " and the only thing that came up was a CNN survey from 2014 and it had Atlanta at the top.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it is subjective to say PNW is better than western SC, etc. I prefer the Blue Ridge Mountains, etc to Mt. Rainier, etc.

SC is not even in the 'Deep South' anyway. It was one of the original colonies. Deep South refers to the southern states that grew after US won its independence, where cotton the cash crop was king, MS, AL, and LA. 'Deep' is deep in relation to the northeast.
South Carolina is most certainly the Deep South. The Deep South also can be referred to as the states that seceded immediately upon Lincoln's election or Fort Sumter, one of the two I can't remember, but they were the first to secede. With the exception of Texas, which I consider the Western South, that includes the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida. You excluded Georgia, are you going to tell me now that Georgia isn't the Deep South, which is a flat out lie. South Carolina was not only among the first to secede, it was the VERY first, and in many respects South Carolina encompasses Southerness at its most extreme. Not to mention it is due east of central Georgia, central Alabama, and central Mississippi. To say South Carolina is not the Deep South is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. If South Carolina is not the Deep South, there is no Deep South.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,423,055 times
I grew up in SC. What about you? No history teacher that I had ever referred to it as the 'Deep South'.

Georgia could be included in Deep South b/c I believe much of the southern portion of the state was added to the state after the US was formed. Its two oldest cities are Savannah and Augusta, both on the Savannah River, across from SC.

To separate out SC from NC and VA is silly. Our history is similar to NC and VA as compared to FL, LA, MS, etc.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Brunei, Slovenia, Greece, Bahrain, Cyprus, Portugal, Spain, Kuwait, Qatar etc.. have better human development index than FL? Hmm..Cuba better than OK, TN? The Arab countries keep their women in burqas, even in 2016. Spain has 22% unemployment and things are not too bad there as in some other European countries. Is this a liberal San Fransicko link? Also from 2009? Nice..

In addition, haven't you been following the financial crisis in Europe past 6 yrs? Do you think that has not affected many countries' HDI or their per capita? Btw, CA almost went bankrupt in 2011, just like Greece(both largely welfare places), so I wouldn't talk about what states are 3rd world.

And Spanish moss oak trees don't go dead in the winter either (at least by the gulf states).
Sure some of these might have changed a little but I doubt anything that drastic. It still illustrates the point that southern states generally are the least developed and advanced in the US, that is well known except to those in denial of reality.

California's HDI is actually slightly higher than in 2009 FYI.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:51 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,425,139 times
Quote:

SC is not even in the 'Deep South' anyway. It was one of the original colonies. Deep South refers to the southern states that grew after US won its independence.
I definitely agree; and even still, I think the "Deep South," is more geographically diverse than the PNW.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5331...8i6656!6m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2317...8i1792!6m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...208!4d-91.9111
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.0759...8i4352!6m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2609...8i4352!6m1!1e1

Old 05-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I grew up in SC. What about you? No history teacher that I had ever referred to it as the 'Deep South'.

Georgia could be included in Deep South b/c I believe much of the southern portion of the state was added to the state after the US was formed. Its two oldest cities are Savannah and Augusta, both on the Savannah River, across from SC.

To separate out SC from NC and VA is silly.
South Carolina has more in common with Georgia than NC and VA. SC is not the Upper South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.