Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in?
California 198 66.00%
North Carolina 102 34.00%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 12:06 PM

597 posts, read 448,946 times

Advertisements

North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 07:53 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Wait.... How did these two states get paired up again?

Old 03-25-2020, 04:52 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
One major difference between California and North Carolina is the general dearth of attractive, walkable downtown areas in North Carolina. Relative to other areas of the country, downtown areas are less common in the South because, for hundreds of years, the South was primarily agrarian in nature with decentralized homesteads and plantations. Also, many of the walkable downtown areas that currently exist in North Carolina are, for the most part, in dire need of beautification and modernization through reinvestment. Because California is wealthier, artsier and more touristy with greater concentrations of environmentalism, there seems to be more community and local investment, especially in small towns along the coast, which creates more charming and pleasant surroundings.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:54 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
NC>>>California

Cleaner, Better Location, etc .

Old 03-26-2020, 01:21 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
One major difference between California and North Carolina is the general dearth of attractive, walkable downtown areas in North Carolina. Relative to other areas of the country, downtown areas are less common in the South because, for hundreds of years, the South was primarily agrarian in nature with decentralized homesteads and plantations. Also, many of the walkable downtown areas that currently exist in North Carolina are, for the most part, in dire need of beautification and modernization through reinvestment. Because California is wealthier, artsier and more touristy with greater concentrations of environmentalism, there seems to be more community and local investment, especially in small towns along the coast, which creates more charming and pleasant surroundings.
This post sounds like the entire state of North Carolina is being characterized based on a quick visit to a random small town off I-95 before the 21st century began. "Attractive, walkable downtown areas" are found all over the state, including Asheville, Brevard, Davidson, Winston-Salem, Chapel Hill, and Wilmington ... just to name a few. These cities have no shortage of recent investment with innovative arts scenes and unique local businesses.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:08 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
California by a lot. NC's largest cities are only really on par with Sacramento and even then I think I'd take Sacramento over Charlotte or Raleigh. Add in better scenery, more liberal politics and diversity...CA is pretty hard to beat for me. Although the cost of living and greenery of NC is appealing. I'd move there given the opportunity

Old 03-28-2020, 05:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Have you been to the south? The old river and railroad towns all have dense urban centers, often more dense than towns in California.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:08 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
California by a lot. NC's largest cities are only really on par with Sacramento and even then I think I'd take Sacramento over Charlotte or Raleigh. Add in better scenery, more liberal politics and diversity...CA is pretty hard to beat for me. Although the cost of living and greenery of NC is appealing. I'd move there given the opportunity
Raleigh isn't on par with Sacramento. It is, however, comparable given both are state capitals with large university presences, and both are largely suburban. Besides that, Raleigh isn't really comparable to Sacramento in any other way...

Charlotte is on par with Sac, from size to the resulting effects of that size down to the offerings and "big city" amenities and feel. And Charlotte and Sac both have the suburban thing in common as well...

*while Sacramento is comparable to both in being mostly suburban, the nuance should be understood that Sacramento is easily more urban than both at its peak of urbanity, and with a wider footprint of urban character than both. Just in relation to most of CA's large cities, besides SJ, more of Sac is suburban developed than urban, so that is similar to Clt and Raleigh even though those cities are even more suburban-oriented...

My overall take on CA and NC, they both offer some cool things the other doesn't. I'd take Cali easily too, and if COL ever drops to a more reasonable level, a question of which is better becomes laughable; NC's much lower cost of living is its largest saving grace in making a comparison between the two states worthy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Have you been to the south? The old river and railroad towns all have dense urban centers, often more dense than towns in California.
Those towns are mostly in other parts of the South, not North Carolina...

Old 03-31-2020, 08:08 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
North Carolina for the moderate politics and affordability, California for everything else.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:38 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
California by a long shot. But then again - I think California is the best state so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City