Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Chicago 41 39.42%
Seattle 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM

994 posts, read 1,829,909 times

Advertisements

Both of these cities are notorious for bad weather. One has gloomy, depressing, rainy winters the other has long brutally cold winters. While sometimes I think people overexaggerate, what city's weather/climate do you prefer?

Let's keep this strictly to weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
I'll take Chicago because the presence of abundant sunshine is very important.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Definately Seattle. Can not deal with bitter cold winters and hot humid summers. I lived in Seattle for 12 years and loved the weather. Winters in Seattle are mild in comparison with green grass, some flowers and lots of evergreen trees. Winter cloudiness with rain and drizzle but not as much as I thought. The way people were talking I thought it was going to be raining constantly everyday but of course it doesn't. I think summers and fall are glorious in Seattle. Weatherwise Seattle is pretty tamed compared to Chicago imo.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:40 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,575 times
Definitely Seattle. I lived most of my life in the Midwest, within a few hours' drive of Chicago, and have to say the weather there is miserable. The bitter cold, snowy winters were bad and then the other end of the coin were the hot humid summers- leaving only maybe 3 good months.

Here in Seattle the winters are mild- it will be 45-50 most days with lots of cloudiness, showers and drizzle but not every single day as expected. You still have green grass, still have flowers, still can go out and do things without freezing your you-know-what off.
And summer/fall are glorious- warm but not hot, not much humidity, and almost always sunny.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
Seattle: Mild, sunny summers with mild but cloudy/drizzly winters
Chicago: Surprisingly hot summers with brutally cold (and still pretty cloudy) winters

I'll take Seattle, thank you.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Seattle.

Its summers are glorious in my experience.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I'll take Chicago because the presence of abundant sunshine is very important.
but Chicago doesn't have abundant sunshine, winter and early spring are pretty freaking cloudy and overcast. I mean it's what, Apr7 this post? its 39 outside, completely overcast with a 35 windchill. It could also easily still be snowing. Most of the west coast up and down has better or, shall we say, milder weather than anywhere in the Midwest, not just Chicago. I personally like hot summers though. It's spring and fall that can be crappy. You know you are going to get summer, and you know you are going to get winter... Well you might have an extended winter like weather halfway into spring, which is happening this year. Or you might start getting snow flurries in October, but last fall was surprisingly pleasant.
Stay in either long enough and you'll get crappy weather either way imo...I think I'd go with Seattle though just talking about their climate, as people say everything is still green there, w no extreme swings either cold nor hot. While in Chicago everything is pretty much dead Dec-March, still in april many of the trees still look dead at the moment. Even when Chicago is actually sunny in the winter, it means it is even colder than usual (clouds keep in the heat), so it isn't enjoyable anyway and sundown is still around 4:30. Hey some people like it though.

I think a more interesting argument would be Denver vs. Seattle as Denver trumps the cold/heat with lots of sunshine.

Last edited by grapico; 04-07-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,224 times
Seattle wins hands down! Chicago is just absolutely miserable. -10 October-May and then 120 June-September. No thanks!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Seattle wins hands down! Chicago is just absolutely miserable. -10 October-May and then 120 June-September. No thanks!
Oh please shows how much you know about Chicago weather. It's only common to reach the negatives, in January and February. Other than that it doesn't happen that frequently. It might go to the teens, but the negatives are not that common.

As for summer, it's not even that often that we go above 90 all the time. There is that week or two in summer that can be brutal, but it's not that frequent. I am not saying Chicago weather is good, but you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
but Chicago doesn't have abundant sunshine, winter and early spring are pretty freaking cloudy and overcast. I mean it's what, Apr7 this post? its 39 outside, completely overcast with a 35 windchill. It could also easily still be snowing. Most of the west coast up and down has better or, shall we say, milder weather than anywhere in the Midwest, not just Chicago. I personally like hot summers though. It's spring and fall that can be crappy. You know you are going to get summer, and you know you are going to get winter... Well you might have an extended winter like weather halfway into spring, which is happening this year. Or you might start getting snow flurries in October, but last fall was surprisingly pleasant.
Stay in either long enough and you'll get crappy weather either way imo...I think I'd go with Seattle though just talking about their climate, as people say everything is still green there, w no extreme swings either cold nor hot. While in Chicago everything is pretty much dead Dec-March, still in april many of the trees still look dead at the moment. Even when Chicago is actually sunny in the winter, it means it is even colder than usual (clouds keep in the heat), so it isn't enjoyable anyway and sundown is still around 4:30. Hey some people like it though.

I think a more interesting argument would be Denver vs. Seattle as Denver trumps the cold/heat with lots of sunshine.
Chicago gets more sunshine than Seattle though. I think hands down Denver has better weather than Chicago and Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City