Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD or Denver?
Denver 114 40.00%
San Diego 171 60.00%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,079,322 times

Advertisements

Blizzard turned into 1 to 2 inches and back to the 60's in 3 days. Love it here! Now again, how about adding how sd is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,751,171 times
The constant bashing on Denver is uncalled for. In what way does San Diego AS A CITY win over Denver? Denver is the smaller metro, and it still compares. And who cares if there is currently a blizzard? It's March and atleast we have real seasons.

This whole thread has obviously been based on personal preference, because not 1 person has said what puts San Diego so far ahead of Denver. Not one.

Last edited by Mezter; 03-09-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,958,049 times
Denver is a fine city, it's compact downtown compares favorably with San Diego's with the ballpark districts in both downtowns adding a lot of life to each, and the older neighborhoods with historic houses are in many ways similar.

I don't think that many Denverians know about the the almost complete transformation of the uptown areas of San Diego in the last 10 years though, specifically the 30th St. corridor from South Park through North Park to Normal Heights that is chock full of vibrant neighborhoods, beer pubs and breweries, theater and progressive restaurants that have added significantly to San Diego's scene and culture. These areas and establishments have been noted nationally in many reviews. What areas would you consider similar in Denver that we might not know of for those of us who visit the city occasionally?

Also, fairly nearby mountains notwithstanding in Denver, San Diego is defined by its much more varied topography and wonderful canyons throughout the city than mostly flat prairie Denver. The dry, yellow landscape throughout much of the year there also feels a little dead to me, at least in its outlying suburbs.

Last edited by T. Damon; 03-09-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM

507 posts, read 810,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The constant bashing on Denver is uncalled for. In what way does San Diego AS A CITY win over Denver? Denver is the smaller metro, and it still compares. And who cares if there is currently a blizzard? It's March and atleast we have real seasons.

This whole thread has obviously been based on personal preference, because not 1 person has said what puts San Diego so far ahead of Denver. Not one.
For one SD has a beach, way better Mexican food, better weather (I know its subjective but I'm assuming most would prefer SD's weather), hilly terrain not flat like Denver, quick 2 hour drive to LA, more scenic, more diverse, better attractions (zoo, sea world, Disney, etc), a destination city etc.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,751,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
For one SD has a beach, way better Mexican food, better weather (I know its subjective but I'm assuming most would prefer SD's weather), hilly terrain not flat like Denver, quick 2 hour drive to LA, more scenic, more diverse, better attractions (zoo, sea world, Disney, etc), a destination city etc.
That still doesn't answer my question. Basicaly what you just told me is that San Diego is a better place for a vacation, which is true. And yet again, we can't seem to escape the topic of natural beauty. What does that have to do with being a better CITY?! And what does LA have to do with a comparison between SD and Denver?

Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM

Mezter: I have seen several CSMA lists lately that put our CSMA just ahead of sd. So I believe as a CSMA we are larger, and as a MSA sd still is. But we are growing faster, and have the larger GDP. So even our MSA will pass them soon.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 PM

You could say Denver has the far the busier and more options airport which contributes FAR more money into our economy. We have by far the bigger and busier PAC downtown. Our mass transit will pass and pull far ahead in the near future. Pretty sure we are the healthier and more educated metro. More pro sports and championships. Better COL.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM

6,978 posts, read 8,378,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
You could say Denver has the far the busier and more options airport which contributes FAR more money into our economy. We have by far the bigger and busier PAC downtown. Our mass transit will pass and pull far ahead in the near future. Pretty sure we are the healthier and more educated metro. More pro sports and championships. Better COL.
Yeah, but it's still Denver, meh. Personally, for me its hard to top the North County Beaches of San Diego, bike ride through La Jolla. I just hate the ugly brown prairie.

San Diego is a special place; its too hard to beat it no matter how big Denver's GDP gets or if it's light rail stretches into the praireland. Who cares if the airport gets as big as Atlanta's; you can still get from point A to B at San Diego's airport.

Regarding COL, one day you will regret the growth in Denver as your smog gets worse, your foothills get too crowded, and the good real estate is too expensive.

I personally would rather be on a board surfing than obsessing that my team won more championships than X team.

Will this thread ever end? Maybe when the poll shows Denver ahead. But still then I'll say San Diego is better than Denver.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,062,124 times
I've lived in both and love both. If I had to pick one to move to next week, I'd pick Denver. Overall I just like it better than San Diego.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 PM

11,475 posts, read 11,629,270 times
Two of my absolute favorite places. So much to like about both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City