Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD or Denver?
Denver 114 40.00%
San Diego 171 60.00%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:40 AM

507 posts, read 809,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I've lived in both and love both. If I had to pick one to move to next week, I'd pick Denver. Overall I just like it better than San Diego.
Very thoughtful and insiteful post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,076,077 times
"Very thoughtful and insiteful post"

So were most of the sd posts! Only 2 reasons I saw were for weather and beaches. Granted, those are nice, but what does your CITY offer that is better than Denver?

Old 03-10-2013, 04:39 PM

507 posts, read 809,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"Very thoughtful and insiteful post"

So were most of the sd posts! Only 2 reasons I saw were for weather and beaches. Granted, those are nice, but what does your CITY offer that is better than Denver?
I already listed them all for you, you don't think attractions are that important to a city

Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,592 times
In my opinion Denver has a more impressive skyline than San Diego, i bet Denver has more taller buildings than SD. As far as density i bet San Diego is more dense but from what i saw in the aerial photo comparisons of each downtown they look equally developed. SD is a nice city, there is the ocean and the mountains, Denver is also nice and the mountains in SoCal don't compare to the rugged Colorado Rockies. Which city has the higher growth rate i'm curious?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,592 times
Urbanity: Denver
More Outdoorsy: Denver
Things to do: San Diego
Economy: Denver
Schools: ?
Universities: Denver- Auraria Campus, located downtown.
Suburbs: San Diego
Climate: San Diego
Location: Denver - one satellite bounce away from virtually anywhere on earth due to our Mountain time zone location and altitude. Denver is centrally located allowing flight to any city in the country no longer than three and a half hours and is a hub therefore has a lot of cheaper ticket prices for travel.
Downtown: Denver - 16th Street Mall
Transportation: Denver - FastTracks project
Shopping:?
Anything you can think of: San Diego, countries largest zoo, quite spectacular.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,927,277 times
^^^
Yeah, nothing outdoorsy going on in San Diego. We all live inside year round because there is just nothing to do outside and there certainly are few active, outdoorsy individuals amongst us anyway...

And Auraria, (what, where?) is no UCSD.

The urban densities of each city are almost identical, San Diego slightly higher as has been pointed out in other posts.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,993 times
Phoenix blows. Denver embarasses phoenix. Portland, get a skyline. Sac town, get a skyline. Denver is underrated. And my plugs, Chicago trumps all, take notes kids. Honorable mention, Boston!!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 PM

529 posts, read 1,550,603 times
Default Oh jeez, grow up everyone!

WOW, all the hypocritical California types bashing Denver so they can feel better.

I like both cities but I prefer Denver for the following reasons,

1. The weather, I like seasons and dry climates.
2. I hate the Beach and beach people!
3. It's not wacko liberal California, even though San Diego isn't L.A. or SF it's still California enough.
4. It has easy access to big mountains (I hate beaches, and the mountains near San Diego are small around 4,500 compared to 9,000 feet near Denver)

It's funny how hypocritical the California posters are when referring to Denver and Denverites. They'll say the most narrow minded B.S. things, yet because they are Californians they are somehow right? Then they accuse Denverites as being the ones who start these insane arguments. They also act like their perceptions such as "we have a beach so we're better" or "Downtown L.A. is big and therefore is fun" as being factual things that aren't subjective, WOW!

It's funny how you're always wrong if you don't agree with the way Cali or all west coasters think and view things. Opinions aren't facts even if 80% of people feel one way about something!

I personally have found San Diego to be lacking in what it has always been portrayed as in movies or by people. It's a large city with lots of touristy stuff, but if you're not obsessed with the beach you can get bored quickly.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM

281 posts, read 474,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
WOW, all the hypocritical California types bashing Denver so they can feel better.

I like both cities but I prefer Denver for the following reasons,

1. The weather, I like seasons and dry climates.
2. I hate the Beach and beach people!
3. It's not wacko liberal California, even though San Diego isn't L.A. or SF it's still California enough.
4. It has easy access to big mountains (I hate beaches, and the mountains near San Diego are small around 4,500 compared to 9,000 feet near Denver)

It's funny how hypocritical the California posters are when referring to Denver and Denverites. They'll say the most narrow minded B.S. things, yet because they are Californians they are somehow right? Then they accuse Denverites as being the ones who start these insane arguments. They also act like their perceptions such as "we have a beach so we're better" or "Downtown L.A. is big and therefore is fun" as being factual things that aren't subjective, WOW!

It's funny how you're always wrong if you don't agree with the way Cali or all west coasters think and view things. Opinions aren't facts even if 80% of people feel one way about something!

I personally have found San Diego to be lacking in what it has always been portrayed as in movies or by people. It's a large city with lots of touristy stuff, but if you're not obsessed with the beach you can get bored quickly.
Like OMG!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 PM

529 posts, read 1,550,603 times
Why do people think Denver has no hilly areas, and the 300 foot hills near San Diego are somehow spectacular geographical features? The elevation of the Denver area and surrounding suburbs changes over 1,000 feet!

Some of the Cali posters also said that Sacramento wasn't ugly like Denver, What? If you're calling Denver ugly because of the plains it sits on then how is Sacramento better? Sacramento is very flat, flatter than Denver actually and is further away from big mountains than Denver. So just because Sacramento is in California it's better than Denver?

Stop acting like your perception from your drive down I-70 from the airport to downtown Denver is enough to know what the whole city of Denver looks like you arrogant Californians!

San Diego isn't as hilly as people might think, sure there are spread out areas where 300 foot hills dot the cityscape but overall it's just gradual inclines and 50 to 80 foot hills. The really hilly areas are to the northeast but are 10 miles from downtown. There are hills 1,000 feet higher than Denver once you go 10 miles west of the downtown. I don't see why people think San Diego is so hilly, it's not San Francisco!

For all the Cali people who keep saying the Denver area is all flat, take a look at these photos!

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of photos available online of the hilly areas right near Downtown Denver, but here are photos of the nearby suburbs. For everyone who says the 300 foot hills near San Diego are spectacular compared to the relentlessly flat Downtown Denver do some research about the Denver area and see how many hilly areas there actually are! Besides how do the small hills in central San Diego really make a difference when you're looking at the skyline? There's areas around Downtown Denver where you can also look at the city from 100 to 300 feet higher than Downtown! I'll take the view of mostly flat Downtown Denver and the Rockies any day over the hills near San Diego from a neighborhood 200 feet higher than Downtown SD with the hardly noticeable mountains and just hills in the background!

Photos of nearby Denver suburbs with very hilly terrain, both west and east of Denver. YES I SAID EAST!

Hilly area of Thornton Colorado, about 8 miles northeast of Downtown Denver.

Parker a suburb southeast of Denver

Ken Caryl, just 11 miles southwest of downtown Denver

View from the suburb of Lakewood, just 10 miles west of Downtown Denver.

This is Daniels Park, just 13 miles south of Downtown Denver near the suburb of Highlands Ranch

Last edited by JMM64; 11-05-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City