Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better sports area
Bay Area 19 46.34%
Los Angeles Area 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times

Advertisements

Well, I still hope the Sox win the series against the Angels.

Angel fans have been pretty insufferable lately, almost as much as Miami Heat fans.

The lame naming of their team "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" is even more laughable, though understandable from a business standpoint.

Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson Put On Angels Red In Anaheim - YouTube

Haha, even Albert Pujols got confused where he was at 1:48.

From a personal standpoint, Orange County people want to be affiliated with Los Angeles all of a sudden. I would have respected it more if they stayed the Anaheim Angels or even the Southern California Angels (California Angels IMO is way too broad for a state that has 5 teams). But Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Yeah, ok.

Let's rename the Athletics "The San Francisco Athletics of Oakland" It makes just as much sense.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
From a personal standpoint, Orange County people want to be affiliated with Los Angeles all of a sudden. I would have respected it more if they stayed the Anaheim Angels or even the Southern California Angels (California Angels IMO is way too broad for a state that has 5 teams). But Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Yeah, ok.

Let's rename the Athletics "The San Francisco Athletics of Oakland" It makes just as much sense.
Maybe they'll rename them the San Francisco Athletics when they move to San Jose...Then they can be round the corner from the San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara/San Jose. But they won't be down the road anymore from the Golden Gate Warriors of San Francisco formely from Oakland.

Also, maybe they can rename the Oakland Raiders, the LA Raiders of Oakland to leverage their fanbase in LA--but keep them in Oakland.

Last edited by Deezus; 08-03-2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Maybe they'll rename them the San Francisco Athletics when they move to San Jose...Then they can be round the corner from the San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara/San Jose. But they won't be down the road anymore from the Golden Gate Warriors of San Francisco formely from Oakland.

Also, maybe they can rename the Oakland Raiders, the LA Raiders of Oakland to leverage their fanbase in LA--but keep them in Oakland.
I always thought about that: if the A's moved to Fremont (IIRC it's a dead proposal now), would they still have been the Oakland Athletics or would they be the Fremont Athletics, or the Oakland Athletics of Fremont? Ironically, Fremont is closer to San Jose than Oakland, but is in Alameda County. I wonder why it hasn't caught on just to simply name either the A's or Angels with a moniker that represents the whole metro region: IE: San Francisco Bay Athletics or Southern California Angels? Too sensible probably.

Somewhere, I think Huge Foodie's head is exploding with the "HUFF PUFF HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN IF SAN JOSE ISN'T IN SF'S MSA!! HUFF PUFF"

Why not rename the Raiders the "Killafornia Raiders" since they obviously have a statewide fanbase stretching from MacDonald and Harbour in Richmond to Rosecrans and Wilmington in Compton.

What a stupid precedent the Angels set. The only way I'd cheer for them is if they were playing the Giants. Otherwise, I hope they finish 0-162 every season until they change their name to more accurately represent their fanbase. I guess saying "LA" is more accurate than "Anaheim" given that there are probably more Dodger fans in Orange County than most Angel fans would want to admit (as in nearly 50/50, or even slight Dodger majority).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
This thread has gone way off topic. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City