Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:06 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times

Advertisements

I think the first 4 are basically given

1)NYC

(small gap)

2/3)Los Angeles area/Bay area (close tie)

(medium gap)

4) Chicago

but whose the 5th?

Would you give it to a city with a strong local flavor like New Orleans? Or a city like Houston that's good across the board (even cajun/creole) because of the many different ethnicities living there?

How about Seattle which does fresh, organic and seafood spectacularly. it also has a good asian food scene. Or it's east coast cousin, Providence which while weak in the asian market is stronger in the european/latin foods.

What about tiny the New Mexican food scene which really is hard to find outside of New Mexico (the whole red/green thing-simply delicious). And which city would we use to anchor it? Santa Fe? Albuquerque?

How about Memphis which has arguably the best BBQ? Or Charleston/Savannah which not only have strong sea food scenes but also great southern cooking in general?

What about Miami which due to it's immigrant population has by far the best caribbean food in the nation and is also strong in the ethnic european food?

Or maybe it's Washington DC, due to being the capital probably has some of the highest end restaurants from around the world?

So which is it? Which city takes home the 5th spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
i say new orleans needs to be in there, the best unique food ever!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i say new orleans needs to be in there, the best unique food ever!
I'd agree. The best example of any city in the US with a regional cuisine that's pretty much unique to it. And that city loves to cook and eat.

I've had meals at little hole in the walls that would easily top any pseudo-Cajun/Creole places that attempt the style in other US cities. I can pretty much remember where I ate on every trip to New Orleans I've taken--every muffaletta, shrimp po' boy, bowl of turtle soup, plate of oysters, BBQ shrimp, rabbit jambalaya, trout tchoupitoulas, fried green tomatoes in remoulade, and so on. When I think of New Orleans I think of food and music.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:28 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
I think Seattle and Philadelphia would have to be tied for the number 5 spot.

IDK if L.A. really belongs in the top 5 food cities however.

My list would go

1. NYC
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. New Orleans/ Savannah
5. Seattle/ Philadelphia

Then probably

6. Los Angeles
7. Portland
8. Boston/ D.C.
9. Charleston
10. San Antonio/ Houston/ Atlanta/ Austin

Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM

419 posts, read 998,545 times
NYC
Chicago
Albuquerque
Los Angeles
Miami

Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
IDK if L.A. really belongs in the top 5 food cities however.
It does. It wasn't untill I grew up that I realized that the LA area is a world beater in cuisine. Not as many "trendy" high profile 5 star restaurants as NYC but LA has IMO the best hole in the wall ethnic restaurants around. In the end, great food is great food no matter the venue.

1) New York area
2) LA area
3) Bay Area
4) Chicago
5) ....

I don't know lol

I loved the food in Boston...Miami is a great place...but I really don't know.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 PM

49 posts, read 75,273 times
I'd put New Orleans in the top 5 wayyy before LA. Also, I think that Philadelphia deserves mention as well. It's got a decent homegrown street cuisine that's emulated in few other places.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lboy826 View Post
I'd put New Orleans in the top 5 wayyy before LA. Also, I think that Philadelphia deserves mention as well. It's got a decent homegrown street cuisine that's emulated in few other places.
Really? I agree New Orleans is a pretty incredible food town, and a town in which you can tell food means a great deal to the locals - But I just don't think it can beat the sheer variety and range of cuisines that can be found in the great LA area.

People assume because LA is lackluster in fine dining (for its size) that it has a weak food scene.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Really? I agree New Orleans is a pretty incredible food town, and a town in which you can tell food means a great deal to the locals - But I just don't think it can beat the sheer variety and range of cuisines that can be found in the great LA area.

People assume because LA is lackluster in fine dining (for its size) that it has a weak food scene.
I spent 2 weeks in Los Angeles in 2008, stayed at the Renaissance Hollywood hotel. The only time I actually enjoyed my eating experience was when we went to Hooters and El Pollo Loco.

The rest of the time I just kept thinking how much better the food was in Philadelphia, at least for me.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
miami is suspect

it has great restaurants, but everything served on ocean drive is trash

yeah, yeah, its about looking @ the hot bodies, but food/drinks? you'd think there would be one place on that strip

don't get me wrong, i've had world class food there....just not on ocean drive

Last edited by john_starks; 07-24-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City