Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
How about Seattle which does fresh, organic and seafood spectacularly. it also has a good asian food scene. Or it's east coast cousin, Providence which while weak in the asian market is stronger in the european/latin foods.
Seattle does? I prefer Portland, OR over Seattle for food.

Providence, no.

And L.A. definitely belongs on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post

Providence, no.

Yes, in the seafood area. Portland I'm not familiar with.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Top tier is NYC, Chicago, Bay Area

Then LA and N.O

Honorable mention to Philly.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
NY, Chicago, Bay Area, New Orleans & Los Angeles.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
New Orleans actually has a pretty good vietnamese selection (even a vietnamese neighborhood), central-american, carribean, fine dining, Italian, some other european, and then of course seafood, Cajun, Creole, and Southern/soul food. More than most cities in the country. Also Cajun did not originate in the city but actually in Acadiana (where the actual Cajuns live) and it is located a good distance from the city. New Orleans actually orginated Creole food and Houston is not even close in terms of quality or quantity of Creole food. New Orleans is just like most cities with regards to other types of foods (probably beats out a good amount of cities in some additional cuisines). The city is just lucky enough to then add a unique regional cuisine on top of that and a deep love of food.

Also did you even see the dishes Deezus mentioned. Most of those are not even Cajun food and actually are several different types of foods that for the most part can not be found outside of the region.
I saw his list. I keep mixing up Creole and Cajun food. I know I heard this lecture before I'm more surprised by your comment about NOLA having great selection outside southern/cajun/creole. That wasn't my experience. I never saw a large Vietnamese community but then again I never crisscrossed the city. I did locate a mini/budding mexican town. Even a raggaeton/mexican bar. But the food around it isn't that good.

But Houston, due to a lot of transplants, has much of the NOLA food scene. Maybe I'm a amateur at it, but it tasted fairly similar to me

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Hands down top three are NYC, Chicago and SF. NYC is #1 and I really believe Chicago and SF tied for #2 spot.

Third would be LA, then Miami then New Orleans.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I saw his list. I keep mixing up Creole and Cajun food. I know I heard this lecture before I'm more surprised by your comment about NOLA having great selection outside southern/cajun/creole. That wasn't my experience. I never saw a large Vietnamese community but then again I never crisscrossed the city. I did locate a mini/budding mexican town. Even a raggaeton/mexican bar. But the food around it isn't that good.

But Houston, due to a lot of transplants, has much of the NOLA food scene. Maybe I'm a amateur at it, but it tasted fairly similar to me
There is a large Vietnamese neighborhood complete with large gardens growing produce and a shopping corridor with signs in vietnamese. But really if you never crisscrossed the city then how can you be fully aware of the food selections of the city? The problem might be that some of the best restuarants for certain cuisines is either located in the suburbs or are in less desirable areas. Also the majority of the central-americans, vietnamese, and some other groups live in the suburbs. But really Houston can still not touch New Orleans for its home-grown cuisine. I lived in Houston and most Houstonians that come to New Orleans come for the food among many other things.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
NYC
SF Bay area
LA
Chicago
Washington, DC area

All have world-class restaurants, fabulous hole-in-the-wall eateries, as well as numerous, excellent ethnic restaurants. The variety of fantastic food seems endless in these cities.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I think Seattle and Philadelphia would have to be tied for the number 5 spot.

IDK if L.A. really belongs in the top 5 food cities however.

My list would go

1. NYC
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. New Orleans/ Savannah
5. Seattle/ Philadelphia

Then probably

6. Los Angeles
7. Portland
8. Boston/ D.C.
9. Charleston
10. San Antonio/ Houston/ Atlanta/ Austin
Solid list. I would probably swap Chicago and SF. Either way, they are close enough. I might also put Phily just above Seattle. But again. Both are hard to beat.

I would also like to see Memphis on some of these list. I always feel it never gets enough love. =) It certainly isn't top 5 or anything. Not close to those you have up there. But a good town for eating.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post

Providence, no.

Providence YES. It's got a fabulous Little Italy (Federal Hill) and one that still feels like an old school neighborhood where Italians actually still live there. Also very strong on Portuguese, Brazilian, & Seafood. Providence is also home to the original and prestigious Johnson & Wales University for Culinary Arts. While perhaps not in the calibur of the top 5, don't be too quick to dismiss it either. It's a great foodie town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City