Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM

573 posts, read 1,360,524 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles :

International - LAX, Ontario, San Bernardino, Palm Springs, and John Wayne

Others - long beach, palmdale, and Burbank bob hope

Total: 8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Most of Montgomery, Prince George's, and Frederick County use Baltimore Washington Airport. That's over 2 million people out of the DC MSA. Have you ever been to DC before?
Uhhh.... you're the OP... How does people coming in just to boast about their cities number of airports, and say nothing else, help with the questions you posed in the slightest??? Your post wasn't, "how many major airports does your metro have?"

Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston now has 2 international airports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore also has 3 major airports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
Los Angeles :

Wow, just wow.... Seriously guys, how do people post responses without even reading the OP? Which format do you think is best for example? How does it work in your metro? etc....

Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,815 times
I've always been under the impression that if you have more than one airport, it's simply because you are handling a lot of air traffic. New York, Chicago, LA are huge-- two are on the coast where they would be major transfer points for international travel, one is smack dab in the middle of the country, where it is well suited for domestic transfers. DC has Dulles and Reagan because it is handling so much international traffic, being the capital and all...

Other than that, I can't think of a major metro area with two major airports. Dallas-Fort Worth, I guess. I suppose the Bay Area probably has Oakland-Alameda, or something like that? But how many people actually use it? Even major markets like Boston, Philly, and Atlanta only have one....

Minneapolis only had the one, but it was busy...not really at the breaking point where it justified a second airport, though. Rochester, MN, has an international airport, mostly to handle all of those foreign dignitaries and leaders coming to get treated at Mayo. There was some talk about connecting MSP and Rochester via zip rail-- probably the rationale being that (especially for domestic flights), you could alleviate some of the traffic in MSP if people had an easy option to get to Rochester. Nobody from Minneapolis really flies out of Rochester right now, although certainly people from Rochester need to fly out of MSP, and occasionally smaller carriers will fly into Rochester only, and then people will commute up to the Cities...

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
Los Angeles :

9 if you count San Diego. Otherwise, San Diego is another example of a major metro with only one airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I've always been under the impression that if you have more than one airport, it's simply because you are handling a lot of air traffic. New York, Chicago, LA are huge-- two are on the coast where they would be major transfer points for international travel, one is smack dab in the middle of the country, where it is well suited for domestic transfers. DC has Dulles and Reagan because it is handling so much international traffic, being the capital and all...

Other than that, I can't think of a major metro area with two major airports. Dallas-Fort Worth, I guess. I suppose the Bay Area probably has Oakland-Alameda, or something like that? But how many people actually use it? Even major markets like Boston, Philly, and Atlanta only have one....

Minneapolis only had the one, but it was busy...not really at the breaking point where it justified a second airport, though. Rochester, MN, has an international airport, mostly to handle all of those foreign dignitaries and leaders coming to get treated at Mayo. There was some talk about connecting MSP and Rochester via zip rail-- probably the rationale being that (especially for domestic flights), you could alleviate some of the traffic in MSP if people had an easy option to get to Rochester. Nobody from Minneapolis really flies out of Rochester right now, although certainly people from Rochester need to fly out of MSP, and occasionally smaller carriers will fly into Rochester only, and then people will commute up to the Cities...
The Seattle-Tacoma metro area is another one with only one airport.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Other than that, I can't think of a major metro area with two major airports. Dallas-Fort Worth, I guess. I suppose the Bay Area probably has Oakland-Alameda, or something like that? But how many people actually use it?
The Bay Area has 3; SF, Oakland, and San Jose.

Lots of people use all three, I believe Oakland is the busiest after SF. I live in the East Bay and most people I know fly in and out of Oakland. If it's international or longer distance then there is a good chance they'll fly out of SFO. It's a pain to get to SFO from the East Bay because you have to drive through SF. BART makes access easier but that can take a while depending on where you're going.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
9 if you count San Diego. Otherwise, San Diego is another example of a major metro with only one airport.
San Diego is not an LA area airport at all.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Which model is best for a region as a whole? Is one better than the other? Which is more convient for the entire region? Does one have an advantage over the other? Some regions get along great with one major airport like Denver, Philly, and Atlanta. Other regions get alone great with three airports like NYC and DC. Still other regions have one major international airport and maybe a smaller airport also. Does one format have an advantage over the other? Thoughts?
Multiple airports may tax resources and may make transferring more difficult, but I think the benefits outweigh those disadvantages.

1. Increased competition may result in lower prices
2. Spread may result in less cluttered airports
3. Less clutter may result in shorter lines and wait times
4. Having one in different areas of the metro means that people don't have to drive clear across town to get to the airports.

In Houston there is Intercontinental (IAH) about 15 miles north of Downtown and Hobby (HOU) about 7 Miles south of Downtown. If you live in The Woodlands, for Example, IAH is about 10 miles away while HOU is about 35 miles away. If you live in Pearland, Hobby is less than 10 miles away while IAH is over 30Miles away. Having multiple airports offer closer options.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Uhhh.... you're the OP... How does people coming in just to boast about their cities number of airports, and say nothing else, help with the questions you posed in the slightest??? Your post wasn't, "how many major airports does your metro have?"
My point to him was people use the airport closest to their home. In the case of his post he was obviously unaware that most people in the Maryland side DC suburbs use Baltimore Washington international Airport. People on the Virginia side of DC suburbs use Washington Dulles International Airport. And people in DC proper mainly use washington Reagan international Airport. The real question is, how would the region function if DC just had one airport? How much farther would people need to travel?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
San Diego is not an LA area airport at all.
Yeah with that could say BWI, EWR, JFK, LGD, ACY, ABE, PHL National etc. and travel far shorter than tha LA list traversed.

LA does have a few that I have actually personally used - though LAX is still the most common

for SF I never personally used any but SFO but know people that use OAK

Now with Virgin Amrican and directs to LAX and SFO from PHL dont think I will use any other airports in either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City