Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:20 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Most of Montgomery, Prince George's, and Frederick County use Baltimore Washington Airport. That's over 2 million people out of the DC MSA. Have you ever been to DC before?
I live here. Next question. You can't just claim another cities infrastructure just because it's closer to a set population. Those residents in PG and Montgomery County are driving to Baltimore or Baltimore metro to fly out of that airport. When you look at the itinerary, you will see that it says Baltimore, MD; not Washington D.C. If you are going to say DC has three well Baltimore has 3 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
I think Philadelphia and Phoenix are the two largest cities with only one major airport.

Unsure about what Philadelphia has in store but Phoenix is slowly getting two major airports, Sky Harbor is the main international airport but the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway reliever airport is growing and adding some of the larger airlines.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I think Philadelphia and Phoenix are the two largest cities with only one major airport.

Unsure about what Philadelphia has in store but Phoenix is slowly getting two major airports, Sky Harbor is the main international airport but the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway reliever airport is growing and adding some of the larger airlines.

The airpsace is already too tight around Philly for another airport (am pretty sure it is actually the busiest airpsace in thw world for commercial airlines (Between PHL and JFK and including EWR and LGD). Technically Allentown Bethlehem and Atlantic City are not in the Metro, nor Trenton

Newark NJ as a major is actually quite useful to many parts of the area. I also know some people who will use BWI, especially in parts south like Deleware

Old 07-27-2012, 12:52 PM

27,552 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I live here. Next question. You can't just claim another cities infrastructure just because it's closer to a set population. Those residents in PG and Montgomery County are driving to Baltimore or Baltimore metro to fly out of that airport. When you look at the itinerary, you will see that it says Baltimore, MD; not Washington D.C. If you are going to say DC has three well Baltimore has 3 as well.
BWI airport is a gray area. Even though it's in the Baltimore metro area, people in the DC area (especially the Maryland suburbs) think of BWI as an airport for both the Baltimore and Washington areas.

That's how it works "mentally."

Old 07-27-2012, 12:54 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
I think cities have more than 1 major airport if they are needed. For example, the Tri-State area really needs more then JFK. That place is so crowded! LaGuardia and Newark are needed Imo.

Whenever I go to Houston, I usually go to the main airport, but it is nice to be able to fly into an airport with closer proximity to the city & southern metro if needed.

I would say that cities like Seattle, Phoenix, Denver, Kansas City, etc really don't need more then 1 major airport.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:58 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
BWI airport is a gray area. Even though it's in the Baltimore metro area, people in the DC area (especially the Maryland suburbs) think of BWI as an airport for both the Baltimore and Washington areas.

That's how it works "mentally."
I understand that completely. But I'm just saying that BWI is not in Washington's metropolitan area. Just like KidPhilly said and I can believe it as well, many people in Southwest suburbs of Philadelphia such as those in Delaware probably prefer to drive to BWI because it's less hassle and less traffic to go there than it is to PHL. That doesn't mean Philadelphia has two airports now.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Indianapolis has 8 International Airports:

Indianapolis International
Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky
Chicago O'Hare
Chicago Midway
Detroit Metro
Louisville International
St Louis-Lambert International
Port Columbus International

Old 07-27-2012, 01:07 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Many cities around the nation have international airports for each part of their region with air traffic being mostly those in the region closest to that airport. Other regions have one airport for the whole region as the only option.

Which model is best for a region as a whole? Is one better than the other? Which is more convient for the entire region? Does one have an advantage over the other? Some regions get along great with one major airport like Denver, Philly, and Atlanta. Other regions get alone great with three airports like NYC and DC. Still other regions have one major international airport and maybe a smaller airport also. Does one format have an advantage over the other? Thoughts?
My god, if the LA area only had LAX, it would be such a disaster. LAX is already extremely congested, being THE main international airport of the region and a major port of entry for those entering the United States.

I grew up 10 minutes walking distance from Burbank Airport (and still live 15 minutes driving on surface streets), and it honestly is the best airport for those who need to access downtown LA and the SFV, since LAX is a bit out of the way from those two areas. However, its still an extremely small airport, and doesn't serve that many destinations. However, it's a helpful reliever to LAX.

LA area also has Long Beach (used to fly JetBlue out of here to JFK when I lived in NYC), John Wayne, and Ontario, which respectively serves the South Bay, OC, and IE respectively. None of these airports are particularly large, but are all extremely helpful in getting to a specific area of SoCal quickly if the need arises. However, again, LAX really is the only airport in the area that has all major international airlines and has the most direct coast-to-coast flights.

So to answer your question, it depends. Some smaller areas like say, Barrow, Alaska, would have no need for 3-4 major airports. Others, like NY area, LA area, Bay Area, DC area, etc. need more than 1 major airport to serve everyone. However, its pretty clear which airport is the alpha airport (JFK, LAX, SFO, IAD, etc.). I don't think there really is a US metro with two major airports that get the same amount of traffic, though IIRC JFK and Newark come pretty close.

And no one I know from LA/OC/IE/Ventura uses San Diego as an airport. I do know San Diegans who have to drive to LAX if they want to fly internationally though (mostly across the Pacific). Seems like a pain, but it is what it is.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
I think ATL could do with another International airport and another domestic one.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:31 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
It is pretty impressive that from Dulles to LaGuardia you have 7 major airports. It's less than a 4 hour drive with no traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City