Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Which part was the opinion? Mind telling me that?

I don't belittle people, what are you talking about. I'm the one that has to deal with easterners obsessively reading into my bio and stalking me and making things personal with me all the time. Which I don't care for, its a forum, read sh-t and move on, Jesus who are you folks that vest your life into this sort of thing? Have a hobby? Career? Family to provide for? Lifestyle?

I just talk about cities and states. Sure, I may have at times belittled some places, which I don't regret doing at all and I meant every single word of it, just so you know. I would do it many times if I have to prove the point that the overhyped places on this forum are no oasis. I also don't believe in this "flyover country" thing, I think that's stupid, great cities can exist anywhere. However lets not exaggerate what I truly do.

The whole post was pretty much YOUR opinion. And you shoving YOUR opinion down someone else isn't going to do anything. If someone likes something for what it is, there's nothing right or wrong about that. You seem to think your opinion is greater than someone else's and in fact that yours is right and theirs is wrong. The fact is most of what goes on on this board is all subjective matter. Sure certain points can be proven with facts like raw data, but the majority of liking and disliking things are just all opinionated. So if the majority likes something, they aren't wrong, they just like it that way and you like it some other way.

As far as all your personal stuff goes, that's just wrong to do. I don't know why people get so personal on this board. There's a bunch of trolls on here that I call out from time to time, but there's really no reason to get into someones personal life over some debate over cities on the internet. That's a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:41 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This is funny, considering how badly L.A. lords over most cities in popularity, desirability and COL.
Great. Now you can stop trying to convince us that L.A. is super urban.

Quote:
I wouldn't refer to dating Scarlet Joe as a "captive lifestyle" either, which is how you referred to the transit lifestyle earlier. That cracked me up.
Ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome? Some people love their captors, ya know.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
The gentrification of DTLA is not a sign of Manhattanization. What arrogance. It's gentrification. It's taking place in cities all over the country, including New York. It isn't because everyone wants to be like Manhattan.

For L.A. to be more like Manhattan, it would have to take the vast majority of it's skyscrapers, nightlife, theaters, high end restaurants, museums, high end shopping, and tourist traps...and cram them into DTLA.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You mean this?

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This shows Atlanta being ahead of LA. That's not a good look.

Los Angeles has 3.7 million people. Portland has 600,000 in approximately 134 sq. miles. That shouldn't be surprising. That would be like China boasting about defeating Equitorial Guinea in a ground war.
True but it also shows LA being heads and shoulders above Dallas and Phoenix, and a city closer to the middle of the pack than those cities at the bottom.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
The gentrification of DTLA is not a sign of Manhattanization. What arrogance. It's gentrification. It's taking place in cities all over the country, including New York. It isn't because everyone wants to be like Manhattan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Actually that is exactly what's driving people to downtown LA, people want that urban "sex and the city" lifestyle

Quote:
For L.A. to be more like Manhattan, it would have to take the vast majority of it's skyscrapers, nightlife, theaters, high end restaurants, museums, high end shopping, and tourist traps...and cram them into DTLA.
Yes, we all know that produces a lifestyle that's very much inferior to driving from one "strip" to another.

But apparently some California posters on this Board want that "urban 'sex and the city' lifestyle."

Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
True but it also shows LA being heads and shoulders above Dallas and Phoenix, and a city closer to the middle of the pack than those cities at the bottom.
So that basically elevates Los Angeles above Dallas and Phoenix to Atlanta status?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Funny, I just realized I have to respond for every L.A. poster's comments on this board. Where did you not learn how to formulate arguments, Bajan?

I disagree with Calison. There are some well-to-dos moving into pricey condos in South Park, but DTLA had a decidedly hipster vibe along Spring and Main Street these days. I much prefer it over the dump it was 16 years ago, but polished it's not, and the folks moving there aren't looking to make it so. The "Sex and the City" lifestyle exists mainly in the Westside, along the chic shops and outdoor cafes of Robertson Blvd. I wouldn't be surprised if the show's creators used that area for inspiration. DTLA is nowhere near as chic or high end, thankfully.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
16th Street isn't suburban after Adams Morgan. WHAT? There is about 3/4 of a mile of continuous apartment buildings before you get to Rock Creek Park (16th & Arkansas Ave). From there, 16th Street runs adjacent (west side) to the park all the way into Silver Spring. The east side of 16th Street features houses with small yards. To me, it looks like parts of Chicago. A few miles up, one block east off of 16th Street there are rowhouses on 14th Street and then that turns into apartment buildings up past Military Road. You can walk (sidewalks) from 16th & K (DT DC) all the way into Maryland uninterrupted, which is about 6 miles give or take. Once you get into Maryland. It's very urban for a suburb. There's an elevated subway station (Silver Spring) as well as a vibrant downtown area. I thought you lived in DC at one time?
I lived in DC for 25 yrs. Maybe when you pass Irving or Park it definately drops off. Even from the White House to that point it doesn't cover a large area. I don't know of any main arterie from dt Los Angeles that drop off so significantly like the ones in DC. This is one of the reasons why you can't compare a huge city like LA to something so small like DC.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I lived in DC for 25 yrs. Maybe when you pass Irving or Park it definately drops off. Even from the White House to that point it doesn't cover a large area. I don't know of any main arterie from dt Los Angeles that drop off so significantly like the ones in DC. This is one of the reasons why you can't compare a huge city like LA to something so small like DC.
How can the urbanity "drop off" leaving from Downtown LA? It never starts in the first place.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How can the urbanity "drop off" leaving from Downtown LA? It never starts in the first place.
What a pair of clown shoes you are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City