Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Climate
Chicago 12 4.43%
Boston 4 1.48%
Minneapolis 51 18.82%
Seattle 17 6.27%
Miami 27 9.96%
Houston 79 29.15%
Buffalo 74 27.31%
Denver 7 2.58%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 11:46 AM

1,565 posts, read 885,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I’ve read here that Chicago has worse winters than Minneapolis. Those who have experienced both cities care to comment?
Minneapolis is definitely the coldest but more sunny, though Chicago gets lake winds that can make it feel as cold in spite of being milder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 02:08 PM

14,276 posts, read 9,156,772 times
Just voted in the poll, and at least here, it seems that people hate steamy summers more than they do cold winters.

Or maybe they hate both equally, for I see that Houston and Buffalo rank 1-2. But then again, it may be snow they hate, for Buffalo gets the lake effect where none of the other wintry cities here do (the winds blow away from Chicago towards Lake Michigan). And if cold were a guide, Chicago, Denver and Boston shouldn't be bringing up the rear – Seattle should.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:03 PM

6,620 posts, read 16,615,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I have to go with Buffalo because of the lake effect snow and minimal amount of sunshine in the winter. Minneapolis is the worst in terms of temperature, but it does have more clear days. But in the event of climate change, Buffalo's relative desirability should increase a great deal.
Those "clear" winter days in Minneapolis are the coldest ones! Risk of frostbite is much greater in Minneapolis than in Buffalo.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:59 AM

348 posts, read 155,621 times
I wonder if there is a market out there for those location independent people and willing to endure the extreme 1/2 of the year in the above mentioned worst weather locations where local residents flock north or south for relief. What would the average rent be if you rented from a 1/2 year resident in Minneapolis in the winter and Phoenix in the summer, or Chicago from Nov-Apr and Tampa from May-Oct?

At least at the end of this exercise I'd imagine you'd have a good idea of which temperature extreme you're more willing to deal with.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:13 AM

12,906 posts, read 9,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
I wonder if there is a market out there for those location independent people and willing to endure the extreme 1/2 of the year in the above mentioned worst weather locations where local residents flock north or south for relief. What would the average rent be if you rented from a 1/2 year resident in Minneapolis in the winter and Phoenix in the summer, or Chicago from Nov-Apr and Tampa from May-Oct?

At least at the end of this exercise I'd imagine you'd have a good idea of which temperature extreme you're more willing to deal with.
I’d bet people do this already

Old 05-05-2024, 09:00 AM

I think the worst weather locale has to be the one that has the least upside during the good season and some redeeming factors during the bad season.

Seattle has remarkable summers, and as painful as the grey skies can be from November through March at least the low temperatures of winter would be considered quite mild by those in the MW or NE. I'm not sure what would be a redeeming quality in a Houston summer? Buckets of afternoon rainfall? And I personally I think I would find a Buffalo summer to be more pleasant and enjoyable than a Houston winter.

Having said that the most uninspiring weather to me is probably a few parallels north of Houston where you still get unbearable summers and the winters are still crappy. Yeah shoulder season is quite nice but that can feel like a few weeks at best some years.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:45 PM

14,276 posts, read 9,156,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
Having said that the most uninspiring weather to me is probably a few parallels north of Houston where you still get unbearable summers and the winters are still crappy. Yeah shoulder season is quite nice but that can feel like a few weeks at best some years.
You mean Dallas, or OKC?

Old 05-06-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You mean Dallas, or OKC?
Don't want to pick on any city in particular. But if I find June through Sept to be uninhabitable by human life, I surely don't want to be dealing with ice storms and grapefruit sized hail in the winter months.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:05 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 12 days ago)

8,401 posts, read 5,562,061 times
I have never lived in the MSP area, but I have been there in winter time a few times. One thing I appreciate about that area is that people embrace the winter. They are still outdoors trying to do things in the coldest months. In Chicago (where I have lived, people camp indoors and eat and get drunk.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 6,674,048 times
Having 6 cold climates and 2 warm climates in the poll creates a bias here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City