Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: unique?
Montreal 63 47.01%
New Orleans 71 52.99%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,996,726 times

Advertisements

I get it, they're both "unique" blah blah. However just like with anything, there is always one that's more of something and the other being the lesser. So which one is more unique between Montreal and New Orleans?

Montreal folks seem to think its no comparison
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Bottom line... Montreal and New Orleans are NOTHING alike. Having been to both cities many times, the mere comparison is laughable. How can you compare the two? In fact, there isn't a single city in North America that could be compared to Montreal. It's very unique.
Lets take a look at their histories, culinary offerings, culture, architecture, etc things that make them "unique".

Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 PM

27,659 posts, read 28,756,270 times
I've been to both. New Orleans is a unique twist on American culture not found anywhere else. However, Montreal is a completely different culture - different language, different currency, different measurement system, etc. Montreal and Quebec feel like a foreign country within Canada. So, I would call that more unique.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,714,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I've been to both. New Orleans is a unique twist on American culture not found anywhere else. However, Montreal is a completely different culture - different language, different currency, different measurement system, etc. Montreal and Quebec feel like a foreign country within Canada. So, I would call that more unique.
How are those two things unique? All of Canada has a different currenty and measurement system than the US.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM

27,659 posts, read 28,756,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How are those two things unique? All of Canada has a different currenty and measurement system than the US.
I guess I was looking at it differently - Montreal is more unique to most Americans. However, New Orleans is probably more unique when compared to any other place in general.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,405,284 times
Well, Montreal definitely FEELS unique. There's no other city like it. But N.O. is even funkier. The French Quarter with its wrought iron balconies. The Mississippi making a wide sweep through it. The racial tension. The unique cuisine, which I'm not fond of. The Catholicism coexisting with debauchery. The cemetery tours. The passion (crime, sex, whatever) ignited by the humidity. The bayous and mansions covered in moss. The alligators.

Not my thing, that's for sure. But it is more of a "strange bird" than Montreal could ever be.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 PM

640 posts, read 1,228,014 times
While I love Quebec and Montreal and have been several times, I think New Orleans is slightly more unique (if you can really say such a thing). Both of these cultures are very similar in music, style, language, even urban layout and naming of areas, etc. However, Montreal tends to look more like a Northeastern American city while NOLA has its own distinct vernacular architecture.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,953,069 times
Well, I'm a native New Orleanian, and (partly because of this forum) I have started learning French... which made Montreal seem a little less foreign. That doesn't really answer the question but I generally sit these out, unless it's things like "which has more of a french influence, New Orleans or Peoria?"

Old 09-15-2012, 08:46 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,987,481 times
Both cities were settled by the French but it's New Orleans that has gone off the beaten path through a series diversified cultural transitions adopting not only from the French, but Spanish, Creole etc. with a more unique twist. It's that kind of contrast that separates New Orleans from cities like Montreal, Detroit and St Louis. (other cities also settled by the French) It's what makes New Orleans "New Orleans".

Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,366,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, Montreal definitely FEELS unique. There's no other city like it. But N.O. is even funkier. The French Quarter with its wrought iron balconies. The Mississippi making a wide sweep through it. The racial tension. The unique cuisine, which I'm not fond of. The Catholicism coexisting with debauchery. The cemetery tours. The passion (crime, sex, whatever) ignited by the humidity. The bayous and mansions covered in moss. The alligators.

Not my thing, that's for sure. But it is more of a "strange bird" than Montreal could ever be.
There's no racial tension in the city.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,405,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's no racial tension in the city.
Never, ever? It's probably more open-minded than most cities in the South, but I don't think it's immune to racism altogether.

But, we're ok with the rest of my list, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City