Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: unique?
Montreal 63 47.01%
New Orleans 71 52.99%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 09:52 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

New Orleans' murder rate is pretty unique. Can I count that?

(Jokes)

I'd say NOLA is really one of a kind.

Montreal is unique but there are more unique versions of Montreal in Quebec for reasons that make Montreal unique. If that makes sense. (ie Quebec City)

Old 10-13-2020, 10:51 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
New Orleans' murder rate is pretty unique. Can I count that?

(Jokes)

I'd say NOLA is really one of a kind.

Montreal is unique but there are more unique versions of Montreal in Quebec for reasons that make Montreal unique. If that makes sense. (ie Quebec City)
Quebec as a whole is extremely unique in NA. And Montreal being at the center of it all is not an exception.
It could easily be its own country.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:28 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Quebec as a whole is extremely unique in NA. And Montreal being at the center of it all is not an exception.
It could easily be its own country.
LOL at the idea that Montreal/Quebec culture are not unique. It's unique to the point that it's largely alien or at least foreign to 75% of Canadians, i.e. most of the rest of the country. Whereas New Orleans and Louisiana, while also unique, are well-known across the U.S. and are much more part of the "American family".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URbMXI40lu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQRP6f1MVCk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUC5fb1r9Zs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eUMVjwuAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJwRJlS890

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyOFhGQo5Rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXzWQiqZoM

Old 10-14-2020, 08:49 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Montreal.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:23 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
New Orleans is definitely one of the most unique cities in NA without a doubt but I think NO is more ingrained in American culture and identity than Montreal,QC is to its country.

And I feel N.O. after Katrina has become more commercialized and lost a bit of its uniqueness compared to what it was pre-Katrina. Still very much so unique and no other city like it but in comparison to Montreal I choose Montreal as of today.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:44 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
I vote Montreal. Their official language is French, few people in NOLA speak French anymore. Montreal does feel European, until you see TV ads selling Chevy pickup trucks in French...Because forget about Fiats, mopeds, and Renaults! There's nothing more European than driving your GMC or Chevy pickup on the cobblestone streets of Paris!

New Orleans has an incredible French Quarter, WWII museum, and Creole food, as well as stunning, out of this world subtropical scenery, but go to the St. Tammany Parish suburbs, and it's basically your stereotypical, Forrest Gump type, Deep South town, which is unsurprising given that Forrest Gump's fictional hometown of Greenbow is near Mobile, which is basically a mini New Orleans.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:57 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I vote Montreal. Their official language is French, few people in NOLA speak French anymore. Montreal does feel European, until you see TV ads selling Chevy pickup trucks in French...Because forget about Fiats, mopeds, and Renaults! There's nothing more European than driving your GMC or Chevy pickup on the cobblestone streets of Paris!

New Orleans has an incredible French Quarter, WWII museum, and Creole food, as well as stunning, out of this world subtropical scenery, but go to the St. Tammany Parish suburbs, and it's basically your stereotypical, Forrest Gump type, Deep South town, which is unsurprising given that Forrest Gump's fictional hometown of Greenbow is near Mobile, which is basically a mini New Orleans.
I agree about New Orleans suburbs and areas outside the core being very similar to what you find in other parts of the south. Very similar to Baton Rogue even in areas like Metairie/ New Orleans East.etc.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:08 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Both are very unique but New Orleans is unlike any city in the world IMO.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:54 PM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
New Orleans is definitely one of the most unique cities in NA without a doubt but I think NO is more ingrained in American culture and identity than Montreal,QC is to its country.

And I feel N.O. after Katrina has become more commercialized and lost a bit of its uniqueness compared to what it was pre-Katrina. Still very much so unique and no other city like it but in comparison to Montreal I choose Montreal as of today.
I'd agree. There are merits and cases to be made for both, but I'd give the nod to Montreal.

I think some posters are really unfamiliar with and baffled by Montreal/Quebec. It's one of the easiest cities on City-Data to quickly tell who hasn't been. Because those who haven't been seem to assume the big difference between Montreal and any other U.S./Canadian city is that Montreal is predominantly Francophone. While it's true that it's a Francophone city, it's physically and culturally distinct from any other major Francophone city on the planet. The biggest difference is the Quebecois culture as a whole and the french language is only a component of that culture. The rest of the cultural differences are reflected in the food, music, lifestyle, etc. Quebec could really stand alone as its own country with Montreal being the capital and cultural/economic hub. The same couldn't be said of Louisiana/New Orleans.

I've seen a few mentions of Quebec City and the notion that Montreal is less "unique" because Quebec City is more Quebecois and close by. I disagree. Quebec City is certainly unique and very Quebecois (one of my favorite places anywhere), but it's decidedly different than Montreal and I don't think it takes away from how unique Montreal is. For starters, they're in different stratospheres as far as size and influence. Quebec is a gem of a mid-size regional city that's a showcase for the Quebecois culture with incredible architecture, and old world charm. Montreal is a world city with a distinct Quebecois flare that's complimented by rich diversity, a great built environment, and a beautiful natural setting. The Montreal-Quebec City relationship is less like a Dallas-Houston relationship (two similarly sized peers with geographic proximity) and much more similar to a London-Liverpool type of dynamic (major international hub and a regional center). Quebec City is all things Quebec which is awesome, but Montreal is where Quebec meets the rest of the world and the results of that meeting are incredible (and very unique).

New Orleans definitely has it's own unique local culture. But it's far more influenced by American (particularly Southeast American) culture. When you travel from New York, Seattle, Kansas City, etc. to New Orleans, it's very much a different experience. But it's still so clearly American. The same cannot be said when you travel from Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, etc. to Montreal. It's very much a departure from the rest of Canada and the language is not the only major difference.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:40 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
While it's true that it's a Francophone city, it's physically and culturally distinct from any other major Francophone city on the planet. The biggest difference is the Quebecois culture as a whole and the french language is only a component of that culture. The rest of the cultural differences are reflected in the food, music, lifestyle, etc.
I mean, architecturally Montreal has lots of similarities with the old northeastern US cities. It shares a popular cuisine (poutine) with the rest of eastern Canada. Musically, I imagine you must be referring to French Canadian folk music, because Arcade Fire isn't winning the city any awards for originality.

I think NOLA is generally more unique for architecture, food, and music than MTL. Though it's architecture does seem similar to Charleston/Savannah, Cajun food and jazz wouldn't be confused for the signature cuisine or music of another city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City