Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: unique?
Montreal 63 47.01%
New Orleans 71 52.99%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Well, that's pushing it. The word is used differently, so let's get that out of the way.

Some people use Creole to refer to any French person born in Louisiana. But more often a mixed-race person out of Louisiana.

I use it to refer to any mixed-race person, provided the person is mixed with either spanish/portuguese/french with some african (from the slave trade) and some native group from the west indies.

Some people go farther and use it for anyone born in one of the former spanish, portuguese or french colonies.

But many of the Caribbean countries and Latin America (Brazil) have such strong notable similarities in food, carnival (Mardi Gras), costume, religion (a mix of african and west indie with catholicism), superstition, approach to life. All of them are slightly different from each other (like NOLA) because the mix of people, subsequent immigration, histories and local topography were different. But if we were to be that strict, every culture would be just as unique as the rest.
So Creole is just a word (with different definitions) and it does not mean they are totally culturally similar. I guess you had a problem with "at all" and decided to go on this rant even though I was just talking about Mobile and New Orleans? This whole discussion is about how New Orleans is "more" unique when compared to Montreal or vice-versa. Many people say that New Orleans is some-what like a caribbean city which in my mind would be a pretty unique quality. So it could be said that New Orleans is a caribbean like city in America and Montreal is a European like city in Canada each with thier own twist and distinctions? But really I think that is very lazy to say such things since there are other obvious differences (I bet you would agree) .

Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
The food is still home-grown. New Orleans Creole food (which in your definition seems to be any food that originated or is historically popular in the city) is still different. Like you said it has different ingredients and a specific twist. Is that supposed to downplay the food as if you can get the exact same thing in the caribbean or where ever. I also never really thought of foods like the muffaletta or po-boys as Creole food, I kind of think there are different categories. Calling a muffaletta Creole food to me woud be similar to calling a Philly cheese steak or Chicago deep dish pizza Creole. But there are so many definitions of Creole, so it seems like it is what ever a person's personal beliefs are. If you want to follow your route, then one could probably list hundreds of foods that are New Orleans Creole ranging from mexican influenced to Chinese influenced.
Just like bagels aren't french (or at least I don't think of them as lol), po' boys aren't Creole. I just mentioned them as they're part of NOLA culinary kitchen and at the same time not Creole. Sorta why I pointed out the bagels when talking about Montreal. An iconic addition due to later immigration patterns.

Quote:
So Creole is just a word (with different definitions) and it does not mean they are totally culturally similar. I guess you had a problem with "at all" and decided to go on this rant even though I was just talking about Mobile and New Orleans? This whole discussion is about how New Orleans is "more" unique when compared to Montreal or vice-versa. Many people say that New Orleans is some-what like a caribbean city which in my mind would be a pretty unique quality. So it could be said that New Orleans is a caribbean like city in America and Montreal is a European like city in Canada each with thier own twist and distinctions? But really I think that is very lazy to say such things since there are other obvious differences (I bet you would agree) .
The point of Mobile was an analogy.

Mobile to NOLA is what Quebec is to Montreal. Which was directly relevant to 'uniqueness' as Quebec was brought up to remove it from Montreal. I'm saying it's a bit harder than that. And as I pointed out to urbanologist, I'm actually undecided here.

I actually don't like to describe NOLA as Caribbean lol despite all my efforts explaining how the culture and food were similar to the Creole (mixed african/indian/white ) sections of the Caribbean. But yes, NOLA has twists of her own that other spots don't (as they have twists that NOLA doesn't). When I speak of similarities, I always look at the backbone lol.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:

Mobile to NOLA is what Quebec is to Montreal.
That's arguable, though.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That's arguable, though.
I'd argue it, but I never actually been to Quebec So I'm not sure how deep their similarities are. There are probably some people out there who have done both:

Montreal-Quebec
NOLA-Mobile

And can make an intelligent post about it.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
The point of Mobile was an analogy.

Mobile to NOLA is what Quebec is to Montreal. Which was directly relevant to 'uniqueness' as Quebec was brought up to remove it from Montreal. I'm saying it's a bit harder than that. And as I pointed out to urbanologist, I'm actually undecided here.
So Quebec has very little in common with Montreal? That is what I get from that analogy.

Quote:
I actually don't like to describe NOLA as Caribbean lol despite all my efforts explaining how the culture and food were similar to the Creole (mixed african/indian/white ) sections of the Caribbean. But yes, NOLA has twists of her own that other spots don't (as they have twists that NOLA doesn't). When I speak of similarities, I always look at the backbone lol.
Look at that, I knew you would agree. I am a mind reader.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM

640 posts, read 1,226,215 times
Quote:
I'd argue it, but I never actually been to Quebec So I'm not sure how deep their similarities are. There are probably some people out there who have done both:

Montreal-Quebec
NOLA-Mobile

And can make an intelligent post about it.
Having been to all four of these places I can safely say that Mobile doesn't reallt fit into this analogy. Mobile was really only built as a fort during the French Period and didn't really start growing until the 1900s. Most people actually make the connection that New Orleans and Quebec City are alike with their large tourist industries and similar colonial layouts. However, New Orleans and Montreal are alike in the fact that they both have a history of being a primate city of their regions with a language divide, among other features.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:17 PM

422 posts, read 816,001 times
I went to LSU. Travel annually to New Orleans. I spent this past labor day in Montreal and last New Year's in Paris. I hope I'm qualified to make this comparison. Montreal is a North American version of Paris. New Orleans is a Carribean version of Paris. Two distinct flavors both with French connections. Paris is the hot blonde. Montreal is the unforgettable brunette. New Orleans is the smokin biracial chick.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
I went to LSU. Travel annually to New Orleans. I spent this past labor day in Montreal and last New Year's in Paris. I hope I'm qualified to make this comparison. Montreal is a North American version of Paris. New Orleans is a Carribean version of Paris. Two distinct flavors both with French connections. Paris is the hot blonde. Montreal is the unforgettable brunette. New Orleans is the smokin biracial chick.
I agree with most of this but a hot blonde in Paris? I get the analogy but still...

Old 09-26-2012, 11:53 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Nice cities, but the French connection is being overdone here for New Orleans.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 AM

342 posts, read 570,921 times
more than 90% of montreals population speaks french as their primary language. on a continent dominated by english that is very unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City