Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these disaster-prone cities is the most dangerous?
Los Angeles (Earthquakes) 6 8.70%
San Francisco (Earthquakes) 15 21.74%
New Orleans (Hurricanes) 23 33.33%
Miami (Hurricanes) 11 15.94%
Tampa (Hurricanes) 1 1.45%
Houston (Hurricanes) 1 1.45%
Oklahoma City (Tornadoes) 9 13.04%
Other 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,895,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There's even a ranking for this.
I wonder if NYC is up there just because it is so big and dense? Not really a city I associate with natural disasters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 AM

10,767 posts, read 23,894,315 times
In reading through this thread I notice people seem to justify the vulnerability or lack there of by the frequency of disaster striking certain cities which means absolutely nothing. Disaster can strike anywhere at anytime. Some cities that are unlisted on the poll that are prone to very large earthquakes..

Memphis
St. Louis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Seattle
Portland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Fault

Anchorage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake

Even New York City and Boston are vulnerable to major disaster......

Americas East Coast Mega Tsunami Canary Islands explained - YouTube

Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,895,342 times
This gives me a little peace of mind: NOAA declares Los Angeles StormReady and TsunamiReady

But really, if the tsunami was as devastating as Japan's, I'm not sure all the preparation in the world is going to help much. Still, it's better to be prepared.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,743,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What about the risk of a tsunami off the coast of LA or SF??? We have all recently seen the recent devastation that happened in Tokyo and the Indian Ocean.
The type of fault that causes tsunami's aren't really found off the coast by SF and LA. The tsunami risk in Ca is from faults much farther away like Chile, Japan, and Alaska which would allow for plenty of warning compared to what happened in Japan and the Indian Ocean. The major faults in CA are the strike-slip type versus thrust faults which cause tsunami's.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,962,686 times
You guys are all crazy. It's OKC by a long shot.

Baseball size hail, F5 tornadoes, extreme heat/drought, all stuff that happens quite frequently and is not so easy to prepare for or evacuate to safe areas. Twice as many people died in the small city of Joplin when they got hit by a tornado than in the 1989 earthquake that hit the heavily populated bay area 23 years ago.

So my guess is a city that is not even listed.

Dallas/Fort Worth.

If an F5 Tornado were to stay on the ground for 20 or even 50-60 miles in the DFW area, 1000’s would die and billions of dollars worth of destruction would occur. It's only a matter of time when one of these tornadoes hits a very large sprawling metro area and does incomprehensible damage.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 PM

4,367 posts, read 4,584,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Memphis - Tornadoes, Flooding (Mississippi River), and Earthquakes (New Madrid Fault).
I agree! The combined real threat of tornadoes, flooding and earthquakes poses a much greater danger than any one type of disaster alone.
St. Louis is in the same situation as Memphis. The area has been hit by major tornadoes many times; it was a victim of the Great Flood of 1993; and it lies at the northern end of the New Madrid Fault, which poses a huge threat to a city composed of many brick buildings. On top of all that, (and I've mentioned this before): Except by one major road, St. Louis city and county cannot be reached without crossing a river. If a major earthquake destroyed or damaged those bridges, over 1.3 million people would be isolated from assistance and rescue.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,567,531 times
Why is London and Paris on that natural disaster risk list, another invasion by Germany?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,999,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I wonder if NYC is up there just because it is so big and dense? Not really a city I associate with natural disasters.
Flood levels. Manhattan is literally at sea level, anything more will begin flooding the city. It was one of their concerns during Hurricane Irene 2 years back, if the hurricane was just a lil bit stronger it would have flooded the entire city and the subways.

Metereologists say it only takes a cat 3 for NYC to experience the damage of a cat 5.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 PM

932 posts, read 1,949,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Why is London and Paris on that natural disaster risk list, another invasion by Germany?
London is less than 100 feet above sea level and is served by a tidal river. Same reason DC is at risk for tsunami.

Thames Barrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,174,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You guys are all crazy. It's OKC by a long shot.

Baseball size hail, F5 tornadoes, extreme heat/drought, all stuff that happens quite frequently and is not so easy to prepare for or evacuate to safe areas. Twice as many people died in the small city of Joplin when they got hit by a tornado than in the 1989 earthquake that hit the heavily populated bay area 23 years ago.

So my guess is a city that is not even listed.

Dallas/Fort Worth.

If an F5 Tornado were to stay on the ground for 20 or even 50-60 miles in the DFW area, 1000’s would die and billions of dollars worth of destruction would occur. It's only a matter of time when one of these tornadoes hits a very large sprawling metro area and does incomprehensible damage.
That would be very devastating considering just how large the DFW metropolitan is, I can't imagine being stuck in traffic with an F5 tornado in my rear view mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City