Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,942,117 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is most definitely in the Top 5 -- entertainment, television, mass media, music, African-American power and politics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,387,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlanta is most definitely in the Top 5 -- entertainment, television, mass media, music, African-American power and politics, etc.
True, Turner, CNN, Weather Channel, local music scene. I'd add ATL to my list of 5 on the post preceding this.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I certainly will not argue that a lot television shows are coming out of Atlanta. I certainly would not call it entertainment, however. DumbUdowntainment, yes! Quantity absolutely! Quality, absolutely NOT!! Power, no! The word that you should have used is influence. The difference is HUGE! WE do have power. However, we are not using it. As always, the joke's on us. Perhaps one day will realize as Dave Chappelle did: they are not laughing with us. They are laughing at us.

That said, Atlanta probably could/ should be in the top five. However, I don't know enough about the matter.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,347 times
Interesting post fellas, see I haven't been to Atlanta before but really want to go ASAP one of these days but my schedule is tight until March. I know Atlanta has Coke and CNN which automatically qualifies it to be no less than 6th IMO. I may be biased because CNN to me is the greatest news channel on Earth but those trends are solidly top level.

How would Atlanta stack up to Boston, Dallas, or Chicago?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,977,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Any order

New York
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Chicago
Boston

HM to Dallas, Miami, Las Vegas, and Atlanta
^^^

This. Count me in. Personally I would add Washington DC to the honorable mention list and that does it for the 10.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 PM

46 posts, read 79,359 times
How could Washington DC not influence politics with all the ngo's, think tank's, and other nonprofit organizations in the area. Elected officials come and go but a great percentage of them stay and lobby, but the bureaucracy is a built in institution. From the supreme court judges and clerks to all the department heads, most have been living in the dc area from ten to twenty years. Just ask the tea party who really runs the republican party, Middle America or the higher ups in Northern Virginia. Do you really think John Mccain is from Arizona, Al Gore Jr is from Tennessee and Jesse Jackson Jr is from Chicago. Whoever stated that the DC area doesn't influence politics is very ill informed and need to read up on the inner circles of American politics.

Last edited by nyanti; 10-15-2012 at 11:08 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 PM

484 posts, read 872,437 times
LA
NYC
SF
Chicago

That's it.

Maybe Miami, DC, Seattle, Atlanta or Boston for a 5th spot.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,387,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Interesting post fellas, see I haven't been to Atlanta before but really want to go ASAP one of these days but my schedule is tight until March. I know Atlanta has Coke and CNN which automatically qualifies it to be no less than 6th IMO. I may be biased because CNN to me is the greatest news channel on Earth but those trends are solidly top level.

How would Atlanta stack up to Boston, Dallas, or Chicago?
I think it would beat them. Boston is too traditional and I don't consider Harvard, MIT, and a bazillion other colleges there as trend-setters. Dallas's trends are those pertinent to people in that region. Chicago is a heavy-hitter in corporate, commodities, and architecture/engineering but, again, I don't see trends emanating from there. Atlanta really does serve as a nerve center for the southeastern quadrant of the country.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 AM

14,030 posts, read 15,045,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think it would beat them. Boston is too traditional and I don't consider Harvard, MIT, and a bazillion other colleges there as trend-setters. Dallas's trends are those pertinent to people in that region. Chicago is a heavy-hitter in corporate, commodities, and architecture/engineering but, again, I don't see trends emanating from there. Atlanta really does serve as a nerve center for the southeastern quadrant of the country.
Boston sets out trends like surviving cancer, and wields great leverage over American Politics much greater than Atlanta.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 AM

2,599 posts, read 4,663,465 times
Default Boredatwork

I include DC not for politics but for urban trends like clothes and shoes. A very large portion of DC is unconcerned with the game we call politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City