Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Detroit 37 23.42%
Chicago 121 76.58%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy
both are models for each other. I love this thread. Chicago is slipping into Detroithood. Chicago could be called the Bigger Detroit or Detroit West. regardless Corruption in both these cities caused by public sector unions and other things have doomed them both Where one Phoenix dies another one is born from the ashes. as Mayor Greg Ballard said Indianapolis will be the capital of the *New Midwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Geez...is broadnippleguy trying to pub indy on a Chicago vs. Detroit
thread? What a shameless booster. For me Chicago is in way better shape than Detroit. I am interested to see where Detroit is heading and what will rise in place of this once great city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
lol, I read the first few lines and though it was just a joke, then saw who wrote it. Seriously dude??? Indy isn't even a bad medium sized city in its own right, but you do nothing but ram its reputation and name into the ground over and over with all these sarcastic posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
lol naysayers like you live in Chicago..... ironic but thats ok keep holding Chicago back that will just work in Indy's favor Visionaries like Mayor Ballard and me are the ones that bring about change. History will prove it too.look at Mayor Hudnut of Indianapolis.Turned the city from India-no-place to India-Show-Place. He was ambitious and never backed down no matter who got in his way. he kept pushing forward. so about what i said being a bunch of hogwash...............................
of what is meant when you hear...consider the source, e.g. broadnippleguy

This is very difficult to convery...with all due respect brg, please don't think to come here to pitch an apples to oranges scenario to the populace and lovers of Chicago. Chicago has, for the past few decades, made fine decisions about encouraging and creating diversified business in the area and the collar suburbs as well as the rest of the state (like it or not) support the mindset of having this great Global City as the Crown Jewel of the midwest. To paraphrase a recent post from the c-d Chicago forum...for all the people who live in Chicago's suburbs and yet they tell everyone they're from Chicago...YOU'RE WELCOME!

I have read your inflammatory posts in the very recent past regarding the loss of jobs from Chicago to Indy and although I wholeheartedly support every state of our United States (United being the key word here), I would never hope, encourage, or pray for the betterment of one state via the downfall of another. If anything, you should be hoping for the bettermint of all the Midwest States (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Eastern Colorado) because that certainly makes the logistics and the cost of doing business better for the entire area.

*The Great Lakes area, which has more large cities than the rest of the Midwest, tends to be the most liberal area of the Midwest.The mix of industry and cultures in those cities led to new types of music in the 20th century in the Midwest, including jazz, blues, rock and roll. Techno music came from Detroit and house music and blues came from Chicago.

The last time I replied to one of your posts (yes...yes, that was in the Indiana forum), I had said I had hopes for you to always having a well paying job with benefits, a roof over your head...so on and so forth; in spite of the fact that you were spewing forth poisonous wishes and sentiments for Chicago and its citizens to lose their jobs in favor of Indy. Those sentiments are unwelcome anywhere on the c-d forums but especially state-to-state where people come to discover advice and information about many of the variables of visiting or relocating from one area to another. If you insist on this mindset perhaps you would be better served and well received in an entirely different forum climate...I cannot imagine where but at this point it matters not to me. IOW, don't let the door hit you...

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

*Midwestern United States - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 10-21-2012 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 02:28 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

Chicago also has a sense of place Detroit doesn't, which is another huge draw for me. People within a 50 mile radius of the city proper are proud to say they're from the great city of Chicago (instead of Illinois or some no-name suburb or "NE Illinois").
Hence why my location is "North of Windsor, ON."

Detroit vs. Chicago: They both have significant pros and cons.

1. Housing, on the whole, is far cheaper here than Chicagoland. Can you buy a move-in house in a halfway decent area there for $40K? You can here, if you're not too picky about the area. I like Chicago single family housing a bit more than Detroit's, in most cases. The bungalows are really cool, and I really like the Georgians that came later- those are nearly identical to the 40s two-story houses in Detroit and a few inner ring areas.

You can buy a detached house in the city of Chicago for $100K across much of the South Side but I'm not sure about neighborhood quality. Here, $100K gets you into Grosse Pointe.

2. Chicago's true advantage over Detroit in my eyes: Air travel. Non-stop flights seem to be harder to come by here nowadays unless it's Spirit.

3. Taxation: Detroit has a city income tax but Chicago does not. However, Chicago and Crook County have punitive sales taxes. When I've gone to the Magnificent Mile, I don't want to buy anything because of the huge tax difference. (At least they have decent shopping within city limits, though.)

4. Transit: Chicago by a country mile. Here, I pay taxes to a bus agency whose nearest usable stop is probably a mile away. Transit is pretty good there, though, looking at Metra schedules, rail fare can get pricey. (All things considered, it's probably not bad since you're not paying for car parking downtown.)

5. Weather: They get a bit more snow, don't they? Definitely a minus in my book.

6. Gun laws: Chicago and Illinois infringe more on the supposedly uninfringible Second Amendment.

7. Do you like foie gras? Chicago doesn't.

8. Food (other): Italian beef. Mmm... I don't know why they don't like ketchup on their hot dogs, though... They also have a Lawry's and Weber Grille.

9. Cars: I have a much higher tolerance for foreign cars than the average SE MIer, so it warms my heart to see all the Hondas and Toyotas there. Imagine that, Scion taxicabs!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Hence why my location is "North of Windsor, ON."

Detroit vs. Chicago: They both have significant pros and cons.

1. Housing, on the whole, is far cheaper here than Chicagoland. Can you buy a move-in house in a halfway decent area there for $40K? You can here, if you're not too picky about the area. I like Chicago single family housing a bit more than Detroit's, in most cases. The bungalows are really cool, and I really like the Georgians that came later- those are nearly identical to the 40s two-story houses in Detroit and a few inner ring areas.

You can buy a detached house in the city of Chicago for $100K across much of the South Side but I'm not sure about neighborhood quality. Here, $100K gets you into Grosse Pointe.

2. Chicago's true advantage over Detroit in my eyes: Air travel. Non-stop flights seem to be harder to come by here nowadays unless it's Spirit.

3. Taxation: Detroit has a city income tax but Chicago does not. However, Chicago and Crook County have punitive sales taxes. When I've gone to the Magnificent Mile, I don't want to buy anything because of the huge tax difference. (At least they have decent shopping within city limits, though.)

4. Transit: Chicago by a country mile. Here, I pay taxes to a bus agency whose nearest usable stop is probably a mile away. Transit is pretty good there, though, looking at Metra schedules, rail fare can get pricey. (All things considered, it's probably not bad since you're not paying for car parking downtown.)

5. Weather: They get a bit more snow, don't they? Definitely a minus in my book.

6. Gun laws: Chicago and Illinois infringe more on the supposedly uninfringible Second Amendment.

7. Do you like foie gras? Chicago doesn't.

8. Food (other): Italian beef. Mmm... I don't know why they don't like ketchup on their hot dogs, though... They also have a Lawry's and Weber Grille.

9. Cars: I have a much higher tolerance for foreign cars than the average SE MIer, so it warms my heart to see all the Hondas and Toyotas there. Imagine that, Scion taxicabs!
As far as weather, on a yearly basis, Detroit averages a little more than Chicago.

While Chicago may see the bigger dumps (12"+) more frequently than Detroit (for example, with the GHD Blizzard in 2011 Detroit only picked up 10" while Chicago picked up nearly 2 feet of snow), Detroit sees accumulating snow more frequently than Chicago, thanks to LES.

Detroit however, because it's downwind of the lakes, is also much cloudier than Chicago, which is actually a minus in my book (I like seeing the sun in the winter).

Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
The only advantage metro Detroit has over Chicagoland is cost of living. The "good life" is far more affordable in the Detroit area. IN all other ways Chicago is superior, and it should be as it is a true world class city, the only one here in the midwest. Metro Detroit is a medium sized American city, so its comparing apples to oranges here.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Okay, I think this was a good topic until it was derailed.
Chicago is an Alpha+ city for a reason, so I don't think it should be anything but the undisputed king of the Midwest. However, Detroit definitely has its attributes which go largely unknown or ignored these days...world-class museums (like the DIA), great history & architecture, entertaining sports teams (even if they did beat my A's), and remains of a solid music scene. I think the main thing which would prevent me from living in a Detroit as opposed to a Chicago would be lack of subway system (due to its car culture). Either way, like Cleveland, I think it's an underrated and unfairly derided city.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Chicago but I like the Detroit nickname "the Arsenal of Democracy". Super cool.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,834 times
Chicago has more ammenties, diversity, lower crime rates and more job oppurtunties. Meanwhile detroit a city of 750k is a car city with one people mover for only 5 miles. Chicago trumps detroit not only beacause of a better city but the suburbs are better too because there is no severe tension between blacks and whites in the suburbs. Detroit meanwhile, is like a city stuck in the 1960's in race relations. Many people will often move at the sight of a black person.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Idk. When I was at Metro Detroit airport last month I saw nonstop flights to every place I have ever heard of (that actually had an airport). I seen nonstop flights for cities way across the world.

Quote:
That is one thing I HATE about Chicago. With that combined with the cost of having a car (I don't like PT), and the cost of living, those things will keep my ass right here in Detroit. And if (when) Detroit finally bounces back, I prey to God everything doesn't get so damn expensive.

Quote:
Metro Detroit is a medium sized American city
6 million is a medium sized American metro??? (This is including Windsor which if officially counted by the government would easily make it a top 10 metro) That would put it up there with Dallas, Houston, Philly, and DC.
Even without Windsor it's still neck and neck with Boston, Phoenix and San Francisco. I guess any city that's not NYC, LA, or Chicago is "mid sized" now. I'm not even boosting right now I'm just wondering how you came up with that. Like if 4-6 million is a mid sized metro then what is Vegas, STL, Charlotte, New Orleans, ect???
What I call mid sized is Grand Rapids or Toledo. Cities like Kalamazoo, Jackson, Rockford, ect is what I call small.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Lol hardly, Detroit thread or not, this is still C-D and Chicago will be praised regardless. Now that I think about it I'm expecting a post from a couple of people any minute now. Half the people that come on this thread never actually lived in Detroit and hardly step foot in it. Some of them don't even live near Detroit and just come here to put the city down.
Well I suppose the poll result does in fact support your suspicions more than mine.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
2 identical threads merged.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City