Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,858,215 times

Advertisements

I haven't researched it, but I don't think San Diego is significantly more expensive than Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 AM

21,992 posts, read 15,787,595 times
Seattle is very much in earthquake territory, so regardless it's probably not for you. I would suggest you reconsider Denver or Boulder.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:01 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,028,778 times
Sacramento

Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM

980 posts, read 2,102,462 times
Sacramento.

Cold, rainy, foggy during the winter. Hot as heck during the summer. Spring and fall weather is beautiful and refreshing. Not as vibrant as Seattle but there are plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation and day trips to SF, Napa, Lake Tahoe, mountains, snow... Sac is a medium-size city (500,000 in city, 2.5 million in metro) with big city amenities. The airport is quite nice too.

Last edited by pistola916; 10-29-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM

2,342 posts, read 4,006,123 times
I think you'll love Santa Barbara OP. Although its more of its own animal it's topography is a cross of Phoenix and Seattle. Coastline like Seattle, mountains semi lush and semi arid like Seattle and Phoenix, the city is much smaller than either but it's close to LA so you have your access without having to live in the big city. Santa Barbara is full of outgoing and intellectual folks and it has plenty of sunshine and all the other things you're looking for.

Only issue could be that the COL is higher than Phoenix but if you really want it, you'll find a way to make it work.

San Diego is another good choice, if you want a city closer in size to Phoenix or Seattle then pick this one but I get the feeling you don't like big cities?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 PM

230 posts, read 410,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sacramento.

Cold, rainy, foggy during the winter. Hot as heck during the summer. Spring and fall weather is beautiful and refreshing. Not as vibrant as Seattle but there are plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation and day trips to SF, Napa, Lake Tahoe, mountains, snow... Sac is a medium-size city (500,000 in city, 2.5 million in metro) with big city amenities. The airport is quite nice too.
I've been wanting to visit Sac... I LOVE San Fran, considered a job there, but the taxes scared me off. I assume CA in general is high tax, maybe more so in San Fran though? How's the crime in Sac? What kind of business/industry? which major airport to you use?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but fascinated by some of the responses.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:41 PM

230 posts, read 410,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I think you'll love Santa Barbara OP. Although its more of its own animal it's topography is a cross of Phoenix and Seattle. Coastline like Seattle, mountains semi lush and semi arid like Seattle and Phoenix, the city is much smaller than either but it's close to LA so you have your access without having to live in the big city. Santa Barbara is full of outgoing and intellectual folks and it has plenty of sunshine and all the other things you're looking for.

Only issue could be that the COL is higher than Phoenix but if you really want it, you'll find a way to make it work.
Daughter and I visited Santa B... loved it. Plugged in $350k in Real estate finder = zilch. <sigh>

Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 PM

980 posts, read 2,102,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
I've been wanting to visit Sac... I LOVE San Fran, considered a job there, but the taxes scared me off. I assume CA in general is high tax, maybe more so in San Fran though? How's the crime in Sac? What kind of business/industry? which major airport to you use?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but fascinated by some of the responses.
Crime does exist in Sacramento just like any other urban city. Most of the crimes are burglaries and auto theft. Some areas have high drug violence. But generally is a safe city.

State government, manufacturing, and healthcare are the main industries. Looking for work outside those fields I'd suggest working in the Bay Area or perhaps living in the Bay Area suburbs.

The Sacramento International Airport is small compared to San Francisco. However, the airport completed a $1 billion upgrade. There are flights to all major West Coast cities and direct flights to most East Coast hubs. San Francisco (SFO), a 2 hour car ride from Sac, is your best bet for international flights to Europe and Asia.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 PM

37,376 posts, read 39,809,011 times
Denver and Sacramento both sound like good bets.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:56 PM

2,342 posts, read 4,006,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
Daughter and I visited Santa B... loved it. Plugged in $350k in Real estate finder = zilch. <sigh>
Try San Diego. You should be able to find a place with that budget there.

You'll find a decent place there and it's a well off educated, safe, diverse, great scenery, great location, cultured, best weather in the US, and beautiful city. A leader in biotech although not to the extent of Boston and a great QOL.

Santa Barbara is a very beautiful place, one of the few cities in California that I hope stops growing and stays the size it is forever. Monterrey being another. Santa Barbara is traditional, cultured, educated, safe, diverse, beautiful, great scenery, has great weather, and great location. One of the few places that get as close to "paradise" in the US IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City