Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:37 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,855,956 times

Advertisements

Sorry! I am a terrible typist. Headline is "Boosterism-- which city has the most?"

Boosterism is the act of "boosting" (or promoting) a town, city, or organization, with the goal of improving public perception of it. Which towns/cities do you feel have the most boosters, either here or in your daily interactions? Which places could use a little more? Which places could use a little less?

And, as Sinclair Lewis said:
"The booster's enthusiasm is the motive force which builds up our American cities. Granted. But the hated knocker's jibes are the check necessary to guide that force. In summary then, we do not wish to knock the booster, but we certainly do wish to boost the knocker."

Last edited by confusedasusual; 10-29-2012 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: tried to change title. no luck :(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
NYC
Philly
DC
Boston
SF
Chicago

Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Really? You think Philly? I always kind of feel like people put Philly down.

How about Atlanta?

Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,866,399 times
Indianapolis

Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM

362 posts, read 666,052 times
Hopefully this thread doesn't turn out ugly. But I'll say the cities with the most boosters are....
Sf
Philly
La
Dc

Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Indianapolis

Too many booster? Too few?

Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Hopefully this thread doesn't turn out ugly. But I'll say the cities with the most boosters are....
Sf
Philly
La
Dc
Oh, it will probably rile some feathers. I know there are some who will always post in any thread that even barely looks like it might mention the name of a beloved town. I find that the moderators don't seem to monitor that activity much, and it sort of skews discussion.

Why does everyone say Philly? I don't really read a lot of Philly threads, so maybe I am just missing out on some hardocre boosterism.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:20 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
Philly #1 by a longshot
Chicago
NYC

Admit San Francisco is up there too.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times
California (as a whole) and NYC.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
To be fair, most Philadelphians just defend their city from misinterpretations which IMO is fine but there are some like the one that has around 2000000000000 posts and goes into every thread foaming his mouth of Philly trying to pass it off as a top 10 city for every single thing there is and talking about it in threads that aren't even about Philly. What's funny about that guy is that he's apparently held a position in every type of job, is a part time urban planner and knows everything about that, has traveled to every city in the world, but still spends all day online LOL. Yeah k chief! Delusional and insecure too. He never misses a post, he reads everything, if you have an opinion that differs from him cherish it because it's one of the few he missed reading. LOL

Guy is influential too, seems like many folks here get on their knees and bow down to him. They should call him king of CD.

Yeah, I have noticed that sort of behavior among lots of posters. I haven't been on here for very long but it does seem like there are a few that fly off the handle if anyone deigns to present an even moderately balanced view of the city they like. Its a predictable pattern-- hackles rising, accusations that the poster is insane, unsophisticated, paranoid, ultra right wing (or ultra left) cheap, ugly, stupid, etc, and that they must be trolling because they have asked a question or pointed out a negative. ALL cities have negatives. And everyone seems to know who these individuals are, but they never seem to be sanctioned. I have also noticed that some of the most "boostery" cities are the most hostile if someone presents anything other than a glowing review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City