Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 02:48 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Here's the updated map for 2012:

According to the RCMP, there are about 805,000 registered, legally-held "restricted" or "prohibited" firearms across Canada:

Canadian Firearms Program

Those categories include most handguns and semiautomatic rifles.
Thank you. What mapping software do you use? I'm mainly familiar with ESRI ArcGIS. However, it costs too much money and I can't get a free trial anymore. I've tried MangoMap and it hasn't worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 03:17 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Originally, on Microsoft Paint. That's why the color scheme is kind of weird. There are certainly much better ways to make choropleth maps, but in this case, the data is very straightforward and there are a limited number of entries.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Originally, on Microsoft Paint. That's why the color scheme is kind of weird. There are certainly much better ways to make choropleth maps, but in this case, the data is very straightforward and there are a limited number of entries.
I have Microsoft Paint. I'm still trying to figure out how. I'm used to working with mapping programs, so Microsoft Paint will feel a bit strange to me.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
2012 is yet another example of how myths from constant false rhetoric has more to do with violent crime discussion than facts from current FBI data or annual trends of the past. The media has played a large role in blurring the line between perception and reality due to their lack of fact finding in regards to data annually. Just look at the media coverage of the city of Chicago vs the state of Louisiana. Chicago was portrayed in a way that wasn't reflective of a city that actually saw the 21st highest rate of killings among U.S. cities, as it was portrayed as the highest in countless articles, with one just yesterday. On the other hand, Louisiana had the highest rate of killings among U.S. states in 2012 for the 24th consecutive year and has did so, while going unnoticed during that entire time to this day. Are you kidding me?
2nd reply.

Another thing I decided to do was check out the violent crime rate by state. Louisiana has one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation. South Carolina ranks #1 in violent crime. The next 9 states: Tennessee, Nevada, Florida, Louisiana, Alaska, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and Michigan. All in order by rank in violent crime rate.

None of those places are ever mentioned, just Chicago. Not only does Louisiana go unnoticed, Alaska goes unnoticed, as does Tennessee and Nevada(Ironic considering Las Vegas). Alaska recorded a murder rate of 18.5 murders per 100,000 in 1982. Only 2 other states have gone higher than between 1960-2012: Nevada(20 murders per 100,000 in 1980), and Louisiana(20.3 murders per 100,000 in 1993, and 19.8 murders per 100,000 in 1994). I didn't find this out until I happen to glance over that statistic.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
2nd reply.

Another thing I decided to do was check out the violent crime rate by state. Louisiana has one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation. South Carolina ranks #1 in violent crime. The next 9 states: Tennessee, Nevada, Florida, Louisiana, Alaska, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and Michigan. All in order by rank in violent crime rate.

None of those places are ever mentioned, just Chicago. Not only does Louisiana go unnoticed, Alaska goes unnoticed, as does Tennessee and Nevada(Ironic considering Las Vegas). Alaska recorded a murder rate of 18.5 murders per 100,000 in 1982. Only 2 other states have gone higher than between 1960-2012: Nevada(20 murders per 100,000 in 1980), and Louisiana(20.3 murders per 100,000 in 1993, and 19.8 murders per 100,000 in 1994). I didn't find this out until I happen to glance over that statistic.
If Obama was from Louisiana, you can bet that it's 24 consecutive year reign as the state with the highest rate of killings would be a media story by now.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
If Obama was from Louisiana, you can bet that it's 24 consecutive year reign as the state with the highest rate of killings would be a media story by now.
I'm rather surprised Alaska was not even mentioned. Alaska ranks #1 in rape. It ranked #1 in murder in 1982. Considering Sarah Palin is from Alaska and was John McCain's running mate, I never heard a word about Alaska having such a high rate of rape, or that it once had one of the highest murder rates in the nation.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,870 times
Interesting finding but it there are too many other factors involved as well that they may not be taking into account, such as population size, death penalty, gun laws (places with less strict gun laws actually have lower crime).

For example, the PNW has overall less crime than say Florida or California, however that doesn't necessarily mean that there is less murder rates as Florida and California have far bigger population sizes. Also, here in Florida anyway, the crime is confined to certain neighborhoods mostly, it's easy to avoid and overall crime is low.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm rather surprised Alaska was not even mentioned. Alaska ranks #1 in rape. It ranked #1 in murder in 1982. Considering Sarah Palin is from Alaska and was John McCain's running mate, I never heard a word about Alaska having such a high rate of rape, or that it once had one of the highest murder rates in the nation.
You're right, as I haven't seen {TV} or read {Internet} nothing about Alaska in regards to those facts as far as a national media outlet. Meanwhile, the much talked about Chicago, in 2012 had a rate of killings that was basically the same as Alaska's rate of killings in 1982.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
You're right, as I haven't seen {TV} or read {Internet} nothing about Alaska in regards to those facts as far as a national media outlet. Meanwhile, the much talked about Chicago, in 2012 had a rate of killings that was basically the same as Alaska's rate of killings in 1982.
I haven't seen it either. Alot of people would never know that there are Crips in Alaska. Anchorage also has the second highest rate of rape in the USA(Minneapolis is #1 in rapes per capita in the USA).

BTW, I have to make a correction. Alaska WAS #1 in rape in the USA. That title actually goes to South Dakota as of 2011. Alaska is #2 in rapes per capita. Around the time Sarah Palin was John McCain's running mate, Alaska had the highest rate of rape in the nation.

Chicago is the one city that gets picked out. Arizona had one of the highest murder rates in the nation when John McCain was running for office. Never heard about it. Arizona was also home to the most dangerous national park in America, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in 2003. Drug violence around the border areas.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Interesting finding but it there are too many other factors involved as well that they may not be taking into account, such as population size, death penalty, gun laws (places with less strict gun laws actually have lower crime).
Oh yeah, such as southern/sunbelt states
Are you able to read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
For example, the PNW has overall less crime than say Florida or California, however that doesn't necessarily mean that there is less murder rates as Florida and California have far bigger population sizes. Also, here in Florida anyway, the crime is confined to certain neighborhoods mostly, it's easy to avoid and overall crime is low.
That could be said for California too, but that doesn't change the fact that Florida's murder rate is higher than states with strict gun laws such as California, New York State, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachussets.

Republicans: they always try and they always fail.

Last edited by italianuser; 09-25-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City