Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Primanti's - I've heard mixed too. I have a few friends who love it and a few who said it's extremely overrated and one who said it was even the most disappointing food experience of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Primanti's - I've heard mixed too. I have a few friends who love it and a few who said it's extremely overrated and one who said it was even the most disappointing food experience of their lives.
it's a sandwich shop for gods sake! We are not talking fine dining experience, just an awesome sandwich. And make sure you hit the one in the Strip district.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
it's a sandwich shop for gods sake! We are not talking fine dining experience, just an awesome sandwich. And make sure you hit the one in the Strip district.
That's the one we visited. I love sandwiches, and sandwich shops, so we weren't expecting fine dining. But to be honest, our sandwiches were completely bland, and we were totally underwhelmed. I can think of three places within two blocks of my apartment in Denver that serve much better sandwiches that what we experienced there. With so many positive reviews and people that swear by them, we'll give them another shot next time we visit Western PA. It's hard for me to imagine Pittsburgh making my top 10 food cities, though, even if our next experience at Primanti Bros. is stellar.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Well, duh, but that's not the point. The point is that so many people regard it as "heaven." It tends to happen. It doesn't matter how fine dining or low brow dining it is. What matters is how many people hype it up and by how much. There's a ton of places like that and not all fine dining is good.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM

592 posts, read 828,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's flavored tobacco, so it could taste like one of 100 things...you pick flavors, can mix them, etc. Some of the most stereotypical ones are say..Apple. I am not a smoker or anything but every once in awhile I do it (especially when I'm in the mideast). As much as people don't like to think, it can actually get you a little buzzed (or big time if you aren't careful). IN the mid east Hookah (or Shisha in most countries/Nargile in Turkey) is basically the equivalent of us going to bars since it's ingrained in their culture and many religious muslims don't drink. It's a big time social activity.
To add to this, it also tends to be more mellow than cigarettes. In the Mid East we call hookahs "arghila." The shisha is what we call the tobacco

Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
LA
San Diego
Managua
San Fran
Santa Barbara
Miami
Dallas
Vancouver
Sacramento
Chicago

Old 11-11-2015, 12:40 AM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Houston tops my list simply because it has a strong presence in basically all major cultures of food. Strong Tex-Mex and Mexican presence, Asian (all types of Asian), Indian, Middle Eastern. Then all the smaller cultures have strong presence in Houston too. I'm a native Venezuelan, and I know of about 10 great Venezuelan restaurants in Houston off the bat.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:42 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
In my experience Los Angeles has the best food in the world and I've been to many worldly food capitals, It blows my mind the wide array of fabulous food that can be found throughout this city. My others in descending order are:
San Francisco area- Amazing Asian and European food.
New York City - Speaks for itself
New Orleans- Such great food that is unique to the city and no where else
Chicago- Great food of every type
Seattle- Great sea food
Boston-
Phoenix/Scottsdale- Great Mexican food and surprisingly great Italian food
San Diego- Little Italy has some great restaurants
Washington, D.C.- Has some of the best Indian food in the country, great soul food places and georgetown has many nice restaurants.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:49 PM

66 posts, read 71,383 times
New York City - Italian and everything
Philadelphia - Italian and everything
Chicago - Italian and everything
San Francisco - Basically everything
New Orleans - Cajun
Los Angeles - Mexican
Kansas City - BBQ
Seattle - Seafood
Houston - Tex Mex
San Diego - Mexican

Old 11-12-2015, 01:27 AM

373 posts, read 367,963 times
TAMPA- Jamaican, cuban,
Phoenix/Scottsdale-good tex mex
San Diego-good seafood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City