Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM

778 posts, read 999,737 times

Advertisements

Sandy exposed the very real threat of hurricanes to NYC, its dated infrastructure, and how idiotic its citizens are.

I know a ton of people that put the storm off and stayed. It had gotten chaotic even after only a few days with the stories of people fighting, pulling guns, etc.

You just had a ****ing hurricane. Relax and realize its going to take time to fix.

Really opens your eyes to see how NY reacts to a crisis like this vs. places in the South and even in Japan that had it MUCH worse and acted much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Sandy exposed the very real threat of hurricanes to NYC, its dated infrastructure, and how idiotic its citizens are.

I know a ton of people that put the storm off and stayed. It had gotten chaotic even after only a few days with the stories of people fighting, pulling guns, etc.

You just had a ****ing hurricane. Relax and realize its going to take time to fix.

Really opens your eyes to see how NY reacts to a crisis like this vs. places in the South and even in Japan that had it MUCH worse and acted much better.
Agreed, if NYC got hit by a hurricane like the one that hit Long Island in 1938 it would have been MUCH worse than Sandy, possibly on the level of Katrina or even worse. There is definitely potential for a stronger storm to do far more damage than this one.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Agreed, if NYC got hit by a hurricane like the one that hit Long Island in 1938 it would have been MUCH worse than Sandy, possibly on the level of Katrina or even worse. There is definitely potential for a stronger storm to do far more damage than this one.

Exactly. This was only a Category 1 (based on wind).

What Katrina wouldve done wouldve been much much more catastrophic.

Still, perhaps this will wake the city up to its threats that need to be taken seriously. Theyll say they bounced back or whatever soon enough, but lets not forget how largely uncivilized its people acted.

NYers are tough? Seemed like entitled babies to me with the constant fighting going on.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM

43,706 posts, read 44,464,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
What??

Do you have any idea how HOT it is in the Gulf Coast in August/September? So you have people, thousands and thousands of people, living in an unventilated attic or on a roof without supplies because no one is coming to help and their entire neighborhood is underwater, bodies of people and animals literally rotting in the heat, floating down the streets, no food, people scared, shooting looters, etc. You need to get a grip. As many have said you are just trolling and being offensive. You have no clue. Where is the moderator to close down this assinine thread?
I am perhaps naive but I am not trolling and I am not trying to be offensive. I am simply trying to understand what people think about this as it was mentioned in the NYC area media a comparison between Sandy and Katrina.

BTW, I still think dangerously cold temperatures are worst than heat.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,322,636 times
This is ridiculous. So which is worse:

A) A city of 8 million where 100+ people died from the hurricane

A) A city of 500k where 1,000+ people died from the hurricane

Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I am perhaps naive but I am not trolling and I am not trying to be offensive. I am simply trying to understand what people think about this as it was mentioned in the NYC area media a comparison between Sandy and Katrina.

Have you ever been to New Orleans, or Louisiana for that matter?

Lack of A/C also kills people too.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,322,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

Please you act like it's forecasted to be -9 degrees in NYC and the NE.

Heat creates dieases and illinesses. That's why in the tropics there is so much more bacteria, virsuses, etc. Katrina was worse because then with all the water that flooded the city and the heat, perfect for mass illiness. Hot weather + tons of water where it shouldn't be = A sure whole lot of trouble.

Cold (and come on we are not talking extremes here either) does not produce illiness or dieases. If you bundle up enough you actually will be okay. Not comfortable, but you will be fine. I mean for heaven sakes the Eskimos do just fine with a lot less.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:02 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Heat creates dieases and illinesses. That's why in the tropics there is so much more bacteria, virsuses, etc. Katrina was worse because then with all the water that flooded the city and the heat, perfect for mass illiness. Hot weather + tons of water where it shouldn't be = A sure whole lot of trouble.

Cold (and come on we are not talking extremes here either) does not produce illiness or dieases. If you bundle up enough you actually will be okay. Not comfortable, but you will be fine. I mean for heaven sakes the Eskimos do just fine with a lot less.
Katrina also had psychological costs that have not been mentioned. Suicides were and still are up, as is the overall death rate. the city was basically uninhabitable for months; I came home in October or November after the storm and there were still trees all over my street. Eerie to see your hometown nearly deserted and with National Guard humvees rolling down major streets.

The bottom line is that sandy has affected more people directly, but Katrina was a much, much longer time frame of suffering for quite a few people itself.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:16 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,209,021 times
I just think it's unfair to compare because NYC didnt get head on like New Orleans did or as a strong as Katrina. But I will say if a KAtrina had hit New York then it'd be worse. Anyway They both suffered :/

Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 AM

43,706 posts, read 44,464,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Please you act like it's forecasted to be -9 degrees in NYC and the NE.

People who have lost their homes and all of their clothing have a hard time bundling up. One can die when you have freezing temperatures. The authorities have been worried about mass illnesses due Sandy as people in the cold picking through their rotting belongs is not good.

As for heat I have lived (and visited) in several very hot climate areas. So I am aware of the fact that heat creates illnesses. I guess I have a higher tolerance to be without air-conditioning when it is extremely hot but being without heating when it is under the freezing mark is much more problematic to me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City