Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 01:05 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,209,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i dont think he/she brings up a point because the true outdated structures of new york faced no damage, except the subways flooding thats about it, and loss of electricity.

im pretty sure the buildings in downtown brooklyn, manhattan, and south bronx were all fine compared to the more newer construction in staten island.
Oh well see there you go. From Pictures it looked bad. But a hurricane poses a threat anywhere, no matter how prepaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:12 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,419,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Oh well see there you go. From Pictures it looked bad. But a hurricane poses a threat anywhere, no matter how prepaired.
all truth, but to be honest with you maybe i lived in the right spot in brooklyn because i really did not know how bad the hurricane actually was till i watched the news.

atlantic city looked crazy though.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,899 times
Hurrican Katrina. The victims were almost like refugees.

Looking at the news it seems like New Jersey took more of a hit from Sandy than NYC.

EDIT: As a matter of fact they're still rebuilding from Katrina 7 YEARS LATER. That shows you how bad it was

Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 PM

44 posts, read 49,891 times
Katrina was worse than Sandy. Sandy killed only one person in my neighborhood. She was walking her dog during the storm and tree fell on her. Her dog survived.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:58 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,419,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justarslan View Post
Katrina was worse than Sandy. Sandy killed only one person in my neighborhood. She was walking her dog during the storm and tree fell on her. Her dog survived.
apparently according to some posters on here we north eastern folks think our hurricane was worse then katrina

Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM

43,706 posts, read 44,464,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
You can't base everything off of YOUR opinion. I like hot better than cold too but the facts are the facts. Heat-sanitry conditions= tons of disease.

From reading your posts, I get the sense that you are a young person who has not had much experience with the world and you are insulting people with your ignorance. Please stop.
Your sense of me is completely incorrect. Again I am just trying to understand why the NYC media compared the 2 situations. Elderly people and young babies are very prone to getting ill without heating in freezing temperatures and not everyone has evacuated to a warming/heating center - FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
Chava, Sandy is more like Andrew

I know it's tough when a disaster hits home but Katrina was just a horrible situation. Please understand some people's outrage, especially those who lived in LA or MS.

Like someone said you cannot compare being without power in uncomfortable weather to being stuck in flood waters where corpes were decomposing. You cannot compare 100 deaths to over 1000.
Freezing to death by an elderly person stuck in a high rise bldg. because there is a snow storm outside and they have no heat, power or running water is a serious issue and is definitely a worrisome possibility. Illness is a possibility in extremely cold weather for the very young and the very old and not everyone is physically able to evacuate due to lack of elevator service in high rise buildings, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Hurrican Katrina. The victims were almost like refugees.

Looking at the news it seems like New Jersey took more of a hit from Sandy than NYC.

EDIT: As a matter of fact they're still rebuilding from Katrina 7 YEARS LATER. That shows you how bad it was
Some of the victims in NYC are living like refugees at this point. I understand the amount is much smaller than Katrina but the people in Staten Island and the Far Rockaways (in Queens) which are both part of NYC that have lost their homes completely, it will probably take a long time to rebuilt their lives.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I am just trying to understand why the NYC media compared the 2 situations.
To sensationalize a story and get higher ratings. Today too many media outlets make comparisons to Katrina when they shouldn't imo.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
To sensationalize a story and get higher ratings. Today too many media outlets make comparisons to Katrina when they shouldn't imo.
yeah it's like the economy... "this is the worst since the great depression!!!"

haha yeah right...

Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Freezing weather with no heat is nothing to be played with either.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Freezing weather with no heat is nothing to be played with either.
Yeah I agree. High heat and humidity is bad but freezing weather with no heat in the home IMO feels worse.

High heat and humidity is like a playground for bacteria growth though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City