Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Of the cities on the poll, I'd say SA, Austin, and El Paso.
None of those cities are on the coast.

Houston is Texas' LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
None of those cities are on the coast.

Houston is Texas' LA.
Houston would've been the appropriate choice if it was on the poll.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:46 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
L.A. is pretty unique. It shares obvious similarities with other sunbelt cities, but is much more densely built than any of them.

It has a core density, and a large old school downtown similar to older, traditionally urban cities like Chicago/Boston/Philly, but overall has a built form that resembles none of them. Nowhere near as core-centric either.

Of the choices, I'd go with Miami. It's built more densely than fellow sunbelt Atlanta, and has a glamour/beach component similar to L.A. Not a photocopy obviously, but the best choice here. Houston would have been a good choice. If/when it densifies, it'll most resemble L.A. (excluding other Cali cities, of course). It has the diversity, the port, and the notorious sprawl.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-07-2012 at 11:57 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,823,755 times
Out of the poll, Miami. They are both on the beach, both known for their sunny weather, both have a lot of palm trees, both places where celebrities like to hang out/party/live in, both large Hispanic populations, etc.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
San Antonio is nothing like LA. Maybe San Diego. Austin is like Sacramento.
San Antonio & San Diego do have similarities, as well as Austin & Sacramento or San Jose, although I do find it interesting that California & Texas cities are sort of similar to each other. Also to answer the OP question LA is well LA it has a bit of very thing.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Freeway traffic and traffic jams are characteristics of all metros.

Well I think I meant a little more than than. fwys and traffic. One would have to be a blind to visit both cities and not see similarities between LA and Phx. They are a sprawled out mess that go on for miles and miles with the smog that goes with it. Palm trees and fwys and spending your day in a car. Half the people in Phoenix drove the 5 hours from LA and moved to Phoenix for a cheaper house. These cities are right next to each other. All those people from Calif that moved here definitely brought thier culture, type of housing. Their Orange County Politics and all thier gridlock with them.

I can't imagine people are listing Austin as comprable to LA and not even acknowledge Phoenix. Phoenix has had the reputation of developing into the inland LA for several decades now.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
who in the world picked atlanta....anyway no city is like los angeles...maybe miami.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Houston would've been the appropriate choice if it was on the poll.
Houston would be the last choice. I have to say that houston looks nice, has plam trees, large hispanic poluation but the people act much different.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Please leave Houston out of this. It's not one of the options.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Well I think I meant a little more than than. fwys and traffic. One would have to be a blind to visit both cities and not see similarities between LA and Phx. They are a sprawled out mess that go on for miles and miles with the smog that goes with it. Palm trees and fwys and spending your day in a car. Half the people in Phoenix drove the 5 hours from LA and moved to Phoenix for a cheaper house. These cities are right next to each other. All those people from Calif that moved here definitely brought thier culture, type of housing. Their Orange County Politics and all thier gridlock with them.

I can't imagine people are listing Austin as comprable to LA and not even acknowledge Phoenix. Phoenix has had the reputation of developing into the inland LA for several decades now.
Phoenix isn't one of the options, that's why it isn't being aknowledged. It (and Vegas) are glorified SoCal exurbs, but they're not options. Phoenix resembles the Inland Empire more than anything imo, and if the L.A. basin had Phoenix's comparitively mild traffic and congestion, I'd fall to my knees and sing "hallelujah".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City