Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,972,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Then you start contradicting yourself once you get to that point, such as claiming scientifically impossible postulations.
Thank you.

The same point I was making earlier. It actually is quite offensive, I suppose not if you're in Los Angeles but to any of the other cities being mentioned here. Who admitingly likes to live in a podunk where the only thing going for it is "it's sooooo much like Los Angeles!"?

From a sane point of view: no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Chicago's street grid and mixed housing is has a similar concept to L.A., but the housing stock looks clearly different. Nice though.
At least from the street views I found, I prefer LA's housing stock over Chicago's outer neighborhood stock. More interestingly varied, though the more treed look of the Chicago views were a plus. Prefer the urban form and less strip malls of Chicago, though.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Thank you.

The same point I was making earlier. It actually is quite offensive, I suppose not if you're in Los Angeles but to any of the other cities being mentioned here. Who admitingly likes to live in a podunk where the only thing going for it is "it's sooooo much like Los Angeles!"?

From a sane point of view: no one.
I have little love for Los Angeles (though nowhere as much as an LA basher as some on the forum) but I still think the thread topic could be interesting in a geography sense: what other cities are similar to Los Angeles. Better than the constant threads comparing every other city in America to NYC.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Not sure why you would need to take the core out of Miami for it to be similar to Los Angeles. Areas like Little Havana look a whole lot like East Hollywood to me. And East Hollywood is not really in the core of Los Angeles.
I get what you're saying that Chicago seems similar to Los Angeles in some ways. But if you take it too far, You could find outlying districts everywhere that resemble Los Angeles. Chicago has outlying districts with dense detached single family homes. So does New York City. Is Los Angeles similar to New York City?

Hollis, New York, NY - Google Maps

Harder to find strip malls

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I get what you're saying that Chicago seems similar to Los Angeles in some ways. But if you take it too far, You could find outlying districts everywhere that resemble Los Angeles. Chicago has outlying districts with dense detached single family homes. So does New York City. Is Los Angeles similar to New York City?

Harder to find strip malls
Not all of New York by any means but I would say parts of Queens can be pretty similar. Though the areas you posted seem to be more uniformly SFH than Los Angeles.

Mostly just drawing comparisons between cities though, agree that you could probably mold just about any city to find similarities to LA. NYC and Chicago are pretty far down on the list, I'm with RaymondChandler that Miami is easily the most similar non-CA city - mostly going by street-feel, architecture, layout and not going by scale, obviously.

Also, I didn't have a hard time finding strip malls pretty close to your links But it seems they occur more at the rate of Chicago than Los Angeles.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Not all of New York by any means but I would say parts of Queens can be pretty similar.
Biggest difference is strip malls are much rarer.

Quote:
Though the areas you posted seem to be more uniformly SFH than Los Angeles.
There are others where they mix.

Forest Hills, New York, NY - Google Maps

Jamaica, New York, NY - Google Maps

Sheepshead Bay, New York, NY - Google Maps

but New York City often has rowhouse blocks transitioning between single family detached homes and apartment buildings.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
But even as much as LA and Miami look alike in certain urban areas, they still have their own unique climate, vegetation, culture, etc. As far as climate goes, Miami has a the closest thing to a true topical climate in the continental US. While LA has one of the few Mediterranean climates in the US(I think the bay is Mediterranean also). Really, you can find similarities between SoFla as a whole, and certain areas of SoCal. Both states tried to take advantage of their Spanish history by reviving the Spanish/Mediterranean architecture. They started this revival in the 1930's I believe. But everything I'm saying is nothing new.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There are others where they mix.

Forest Hills, New York, NY - Google Maps

Jamaica, New York, NY - Google Maps

Sheepshead Bay, New York, NY - Google Maps

but New York City often has rowhouse blocks transitioning between single family detached homes and apartment buildings.
No doubt, NYC has everything.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM

Does anyone think Denver could be arguable?

Phoenix doesn't seem similar at all. And yuck!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,725 times
Miami is the child of a LA and Chicago.

It's flat like Chicago, vertically built up along to water like Chicago, where it's densest areas are, the grid looks like a less developed baby Chicago, the elevated rail, and the way the city is conveniently built densely but gives cars a environment to work with. Miami's core being built along the ocean is pretty different than LA's, hence I said the cores aren't comparable for any of the 3.

Architecturally Miami is unique for the US but shares more in common with LA. It's also lacking in pedestrian energy (not including MBFL) and the entertainment industry.

Houston is a newborn in comparison. Closer to Miami's age and Chandler had it when he said it has the skeleton of LA but isn't as filled in yet. Houston's quickly filling in but until it happens Miami is a closer comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City