Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 10:56 PM

1,122 posts, read 925,470 times

Advertisements

Miami and Houston........ both, a little.
Miami, more (i guess).

then, Atlanta and Dallas are in that universe.
with these 5 cities, you've got lots of sprawl,
relatively/near deserted ghost tower downtowns after 6:00pm,
tons of freeways, endless condo hell, and so forth.....

California has runaway liberal governance, which sets LA far apart from the other 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 08:50 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Miami and Houston........ both, a little.
Miami, more (i guess).

then, Atlanta and Dallas are in that universe.
with these 5 cities, you've got lots of sprawl,
relatively/near deserted ghost tower downtowns after 6:00pm,
tons of freeways, endless condo hell, and so forth.....

California has runaway liberal governance, which sets LA far apart from the other 4.
And heeeeeeere we go!!

Old 11-30-2019, 04:40 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fante 90042 View Post
The cities that most closely resemble LA (in parts) are also in California. You almost have to exclude them to make the thread interesting.
True. The cities most like LA are in California, but if you exclude them and exclude cities in states that border California (las vegas and Phoenix really) then two cities most like LA to me and this is just my opinion are Denver and surprisingly Houston.

Miami looks more like LA than Denver and Houston, but it feels very different for some reason. Houston is the one that surprised me, but with the freeways and the sprawl and the randomness, it seems like LA without the hyper density. Maybe like what LA would have been like 75 years ago, except modern.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:20 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
True. The cities most like LA are in California, but if you exclude them and exclude cities in states that border California (las vegas and Phoenix really) then two cities most like LA to me and this is just my opinion are Denver and surprisingly Houston.

Miami looks more like LA than Denver and Houston, but it feels very different for some reason. Houston is the one that surprised me, but with the freeways and the sprawl and the randomness, it seems like LA without the hyper density. Maybe like what LA would have been like 75 years ago, except modern.
This makes alot of sense.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:54 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Miami has the ocean and the cosmopolitan glitz and glamor. It also has the dense suburbanism with walkable urban nodes.

In other ways, I would say Miami is pretty different. San Diego, Phoenix and Houston also have elements that put them closer to LA.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:47 PM

567 posts, read 431,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston & LA:

Near the ocean

Houston is semi-tropical while LA is Mediterranean though both are huge palm tree cities.

Huge Latino & Asian populations

Massive & I mean MASSIVE freeways

Bad air quality on most days

Downtown skylines are very similar in size & architecture. Its actually quite hard to tell them apart from some angles until the mountains & Hollywood sign give it away.
HOUSTON and LOS ANGELES are only similar in that they are both diverse cities.

- LA is on the Pacific Ocean, Houston is 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

- Houston weather goes from very hot to very cold. LA has pleasant weather year round.

- LA is 47% Latino, 15% Asian. Houston is 43% Latino, 6% Asian.

- LA is #1 in bad air quality, Houston #7 (Both cities have good air quality 60% of the year)

- LA is well know for it's freeways, over 16. They also have 2 subway transit lines and 5 light rail transit lines. Houston has 3 light rail lines.

- 60,000 people actually live in Downtown LA. 11,000 live in Downtown Houston

- Greater Metro LA is 18 million Population. Greater Metro Houston is 7 Million population

Old 12-02-2019, 03:27 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Not sure how Nashville isn't included in this poll. With all the corporation relocations coming to Nashville these days, Nashville has become the Texas or California of the east.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:27 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Not sure how Nashville isn't included in this poll. With all the corporation relocations coming to Nashville these days, Nashville has become the Texas or California of the east.
This is a totally good analogy.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:35 PM

36 posts, read 19,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
Imo, no city on this list. LA and NYC are two lifestyle polar opposites that can only be compared to cities outside of this country due to sheer scale coupled with sheer amenities.

In LA's case, I'd compare it to Sydney, Barca or Mexico City before I compare it to any city on this list.
LA isn't as world class a city as NYC. Why are people on C-D equating the two lol? LA has comparable cities here in the US. I'd say cities like LV, Miami, Houston, Dallas, and to a lesser extent ATL have that LA feeling but in general no city is exactly like another city. What city in the US is like Miami, or SF, or Chicago? None.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:19 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
LOL. Put the pipe down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City