Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Dallas 41 39.42%
Boston 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times

Advertisements

Im just curious, how do you compare the food in both cities when they are simply different? Its like saying "Which is better, Mexican or Italian food?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,515,344 times
If money is no issue? It's hard to argue against Boston in nearly every category. Weather is, of course subjective (pick your poison), but it's hard to compete against 400 years of culture/citydom.

Which isn't to say Dallas doesn't have a lot going for it (I live here for a reason.) But Dallas is still relatively young. It takes time to build up the culture, greenery, education, natural walking-neighborhoods that Boston has.

If money is an issue, though, things change dramatically.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times
I've spent a lot of time in Dallas & was just recently in Boston like about a month ago or so.

It's weird. I'm not one of those people with a definitive anything, frankly I don't even know which one I like better. If I was in Boston right now, probably Boston. If I was in Dallas at the moment then probably Dallas. I see the pros & cons to a place better when I'm actually there, it's so easy to let it all go to the head and see the sheer positive qualities in a place when you're not accustomed to living there.

There are things I like about both. Boston to me has the better topography & location on the coast. Dallas to me has the infinitely better location in the United States for airline travel, let's be honest here. Nobody LIKES flying, as inconvenient as it is, sitting in the same seat for 7 or so hours is so pushing limits.

Boston has the better transit system, so overall I give the edge to Boston because I'm not willing to drive at this point & further. Dallas though, does have much better roads & freeways. That is true, it's very convenient to drive on those monsters.

Food. Again, I think I've been to a total of like 40 restaurants between the two places so there is no way I'm going to be the one to make a mass generalization over the entire regions food. I will say though, by regional cuisine it's a flat out two way tie for me. I am one of those people that like barbeque quite a lot, then again I am also one of those people that like seafood too. I don't really care for Italian food frankly, it's much too dry and tasteless for me. I do like Mexican food but it's restricted to quesidillas and burritos so that's about it there. Both cities have a diverse selection of restaurants, they're both up there on that. So that's another draw.

As for things I care for, I'm not particularly a picky person. I don't care for details, just care to get things done and out of the way. What I'm saying is that while I love Newbury Street, it looks incredible but for day to day living, if I'm going out to shop then I've had something in particular in my mind from the start. I just want to get there, buy it, come back home & use it. That's what I'm like, I don't care where the store is located or what it looks like, it's the fact that it exists in the city that I like. That said, Dallas has more selection of stores from what I've seen. So I give them the edge. Boston's not really far behind though.

Ehhh overall a tie for me, edge to Boston. I could live in either and be happy, they both have lots of people, lots of choices, lots of stuff, Boston just has more in the urbanity, & transit department so I'm going with that as the deciding factor. Topography is on the upside too but I don't care for hills & mountains that much, just water & greenery so Boston has the edge there.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,029,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas is rarely compared though on city vs city because Dallas posters stay far away from this forum.
Yeah, and there's a reason. It's no fun when your city loses every poll and people who haven't even visited Dallas harp on about how backward it is. Now, I agree Dallas is not as 'urban' as Boston or SF, but numerous lopsided polls against cities like Seattle or Cleveland indicate most people start off with a bias against Dallas anyway.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Yeah, and there's a reason. It's no fun when your city loses every poll and people who haven't even visited Dallas harp on about how backward it is. Now, I agree Dallas is not as 'urban' as Boston or SF, but numerous lopsided polls against cities like Seattle or Cleveland indicate most people start off with a bias against Dallas anyway.
Oh I hear you loud and clear. That's a good thing too. I can understand constructive criticism. But that doesn't happen on this board. Just straight bashing.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Suppose you were contemplating moving into either cities, and money wasn't an issue. Which city would you rather live in? Include the following criteria:

1. Better public transportation
2. Better layout (for those who would prefer to drive)
3. Better restaurants
4. Better shopping
5. Better museums and cultural events
6. Better arts scene (also include the underground scene with your assessment)
7. Better parks and greenery
8. Better schools (if a priority)
9. Better homes (cost of living, architecture, quality, etc.)
10. Better scenery
11. Better nightlife (bars, clubs, lounges, etc.)
12. Better economy
13. Better weather
1. Boston
2. Dallas
3. Dallas
4. Dallas
5. Boston
6. Boston
7. Boston
8. Toss-up, both school systems suck
9. You said money wasn't an object but here you want us to rank on cost of living, so Dallas.
10. Depends on what you like to look at, but for me...Boston.
11. Boston
12. Dallas
13. Depends what kind of weather you like. Both places have a brutal season (Dallas:summer, Boston:winter)

Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,265,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Suppose you were contemplating moving into either cities, and money wasn't an issue. Which city would you rather live in? Include the following criteria:

1. Better public transportation
2. Better layout (for those who would prefer to drive)
3. Better restaurants
4. Better shopping
5. Better museums and cultural events
6. Better arts scene (also include the underground scene with your assessment)
7. Better parks and greenery
8. Better schools (if a priority)
9. Better homes (cost of living, architecture, quality, etc.)
10. Better scenery
11. Better nightlife (bars, clubs, lounges, etc.)
12. Better economy
13. Better weather

1. Better public transportation Boston
2. Better layout (for those who would prefer to drive) Dallas
3. Better restaurants Boston
4. Better shopping Dallas
5. Better museums and cultural events Boston
6. Better arts scene (also include the underground scene with your assessment) Boston
7. Better parks and greenery Boston
8. Better schools (if a priority) Boston
9. Better homes (cost of living, architecture, quality, etc.) Dallas
10. Better scenery Boston
11. Better nightlife (bars, clubs, lounges, etc.) Dallas
12. Better economy Dallas
13. Better weather Dallas

Wow, that was close...Boston 7-6

Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 AM

120 posts, read 209,142 times
1. Better public transportation: Boston
2. Better layout (for those who would prefer to drive): Dallas
3. Better restaurants: Boston
4. Better shopping: Boston
5. Better museums and cultural events: Boston
6. Better arts scene (also include the underground scene with your assessment): Boston
7. Better parks and greenery: Boston
8. Better schools (if a priority): Boston
9. Better homes (cost of living, architecture, quality, etc.): Dallas
10. Better scenery: Boston
11. Better nightlife (bars, clubs, lounges, etc.): Boston
12. Better economy: Boston
13. Better weather: Boston

Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Why do I have a feeling that most people commenting havent been to Dallas?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM

932 posts, read 1,946,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Why do I have a feeling that most people commenting havent been to Dallas?
Likely because very few world travelers waste their time debating the merits of different cities, let alone posting on forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City