Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Dallas 41 39.42%
Boston 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM

6,726 posts, read 9,972,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
Ha, Dallas will never have anywhere near the quality of public transit as Boston does.
I'm sure 90 years ago they didn't expect Dallas to overtake Boston in population, but it happened. Never say never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM

342 posts, read 571,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I'm sure 90 years ago they didn't expect Dallas to overtake Boston in population, but it happened. Never say never.
the way dallas has developed has been almost completely around the automobile while Boston is more transit friendly. It will take a long time to get enough dallasites (?) out of their cars to even challenge boston.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,779,838 times
Quote:
the way dallas has developed has been almost completely around the automobile while Boston is more transit friendly. It will take a long time to get enough dallasites (?) out of their cars to even challenge boston.
That all has to do with when the cities developed. There is a reason cities like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Los Angeles developed the way the did. Its all because they had their growth after the advent of the automobile. Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago, etc. all had their growth before the car was widely used. Its not an unwillingness to be more compact, its just the times they grew up.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,023,745 times
Quote:
Ha, Dallas will never have anywhere near the quality of public transit as Boston does.
Boston's mass transit opened in 1897, Dallas' opened in 1996.

I would certainly hope Boston's was better...

Still, at 76 miles long, Dallas has the largest rail system in the United States.

By comparison, Boston's is only 28 miles long.

Daily boardings & boardings per mile however no other city begins to touch Boston.

Dallas' massive rail system is geared for the suburbs while Bostons is geared for the inner city. Two entirely different set ups.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,809,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Boston's mass transit opened in 1897, Dallas' opened in 1996.

I would certainly hope Boston's was better...

Still, at 76 miles long, Dallas has the largest rail system in the United States.

By comparison, Boston's is only 28 miles long.

Daily boardings & boardings per mile however no other city begins to touch Boston.

Dallas' massive rail system is geared for the suburbs while Bostons is geared for the inner city. Two entirely different set ups.
I am going to assume you're talking about the subway/light rail. Boston has a widespread commuter rail system that is essentially made so well over 100,000 people a day can get to/from Boston and the suburbs. The MBTA commuter rail system is over 350 miles.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 AM

342 posts, read 571,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I am going to assume you're talking about the subway/light rail. Boston has a widespread commuter rail system that is essentially made so well over 100,000 people a day can get to/from Boston and the suburbs. The MBTA commuter rail system is over 350 miles.
He was only counting DART light rail. Imagine if boston subway/light rail were as physically large as Dallas'. We would rule the world!

Old 11-22-2012, 08:36 AM

20,524 posts, read 33,596,495 times
He was only talking about light rail.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,478,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im not talking about things like public transit or urbanity, those are pretty clear in Boston's favorites. Thats all a google map would show.

Im talking about thinks like places to eat, shopping, and layout. Shopping is pretty much shopping and the food scene in Dallas vs. Boston is simply different. How can you really say one is better than the other?
I guess it'd have to be based on the diversity of offerings in the cities...though I agree they don't really cross-over in their specialties seeing as their cultures are vastly different...maybe some Chinese?

What does Dallas usually do well in, in terms of food?

Boston specializes in seafood, Italian, Portuguese, Caribbean, Brasilian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean...I think there's supposed to be decent Indian too, but I'm not a fan so I'm not really a good judge haha.

Anything I missed?

Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I guess it'd have to be based on the diversity of offerings in the cities...though I agree they don't really cross-over in their specialties seeing as their cultures are vastly different...maybe some Chinese?

Boston specializes in seafood, Italian, Portuguese, Caribbean, Brasilian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean...I think there's supposed to be decent Indian too, but I'm not a fan so I'm not really a good judge haha.

Anything I missed?
It's different in some ways, not in others (food wise that is). It all depends on the type.

In the whole Boston vs. Dallas arena, my review would be the following:

Boston has better:

Italian (this being the most obvious)
Brazilian
Chinese (minus Szechuan)
Caribbean
Japanese
French
Seafood

Dallas has better:

Mexican
Salvadoran
Vietnamese
Thai
German
Szechuan
Indian

Everything else is pretty much a tie. That's why I would put them as evenly matched in the food department.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Anything I missed?
It's different in some ways, not in others (food wise that is). It all depends on the type.

In the whole Boston vs. Dallas arena, my review would be the following:

Boston has better:

Italian (this being the most obvious)
Brazilian
Chinese (minus Szechuan)
Caribbean
Japanese
French
Seafood

Dallas has better:

Mexican
Salvadoran
Vietnamese
Thai
German
Szechuan
Korean
Any dish involving beef.

Everything else is pretty much a tie. That's why I would put them as evenly matched in the food department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City