Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Who do you think has the best bus service in the country?
I was going to go with NYC judging from other people's sentiments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Eh. I'd put Chicago ahead of NYC, as I said before. Coverage is extensive, though one can't take a local bus from Brooklyn into Manhattan. Of course, not a great comparison as the more extensive subway service covers much more trips.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eh. I'd put Chicago ahead of NYC, as I said before. Coverage is extensive, though one can't take a local bus from Brooklyn into Manhattan. Of course, not a great comparison as the more extensive subway service covers much more trips.
Oh wow that is interesting. The thing with the LA buses is that you can get just about anywhere from anywhere on the buses, though you will most likely have to transfer and it will most likely take a fairly long time if traveling a large distance - both the positive and the negative above is resulting from the grid-based system.

One advantage Chicago has over LA and NYC is the lack of geography getting in the way. It's tough to traverse those rivers and bays in New York City, and it is difficult to run a bus across the Santa Monica Mountains (I think the only two buses that traverse them are on Sepulveda and Cahuenga - though maybe Laurel Canyon has a bus [it does]?).

Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,394,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Very familiar with both, I can't imagine too many people having the opinion that NYC's is better.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Very familiar with both, I can't imagine too many people having the opinion that NYC's is better.
Well then I am comfortable arguing that LA has the best bus system in the country (though I've never ridden the bus in Chicago before so wouldn't be shocked to find it is better).

I was just trying to be modest.

Though I'm not sure how would you measure which bus system is better- Extent of coverage, total service hours, frequency of service, number of riders?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Is the "bus stigma" a negative point against LA's system or as long as the ridership is high it doesn't matter? Seattle's bus system seemed like it had very good coverage. Vancouver's system covers all the parks / mountains just north of the city.

High local traffic makes NYC's bus system not run very well, though they could try better.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Is the "bus stigma" a negative point against LA's system or as long as the ridership is high it doesn't matter? Seattle's bus system seemed like it had very good coverage. Vancouver's system covers all the parks / mountains just north of the city.

High local traffic makes NYC's bus system not run very well, though they could try better.
I vote for as long as the ridership is high it doesn't matter that much. LA has a very good bus system and a lot of people use it--that's that. It needs to be supplemented by better rail connections for going longer distances, but it's still quite good. Seattle's system is great--clean, efficient, and friendly. They use rfid cards to get on so boarding is quick and they also have a nice free zone downtown. Both the drivers and the passengers were some of the nicest/most polite I've ever met.

NYC's bus system is alright due to being very extensive and running 24/7. It also has some express services. It's not the best with the metrocard system they have and some rowdiness every once in a while, but it's pretty good.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I think in LA it is more a "public transportation stigma" than a "bus stigma" - with every city there is a bit of an anti-bus sentiment and I don't think it is particularly worse in LA than anywhere else I've lived. And no I don't think it counts against the system even if there is a stigma.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM

939 posts, read 1,894,370 times
Chicago should be very proud of their bus system. Clearly, buses are something to brag about.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Is the "bus stigma" a negative point against LA's system or as long as the ridership is high it doesn't matter?
For purposes of this thread, no, it doesn't matter. In the grand scheme of things, then yes, it does matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City