Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 PM

303 posts, read 580,728 times

Advertisements

Chicago trains has crowds at 11 at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM

13,741 posts, read 15,813,282 times
New commuter benefits could help bicyclists - Greater Greater Washington

Old 10-23-2013, 03:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,247,553 times
^ might as well take advantage of the bike sharing programs as far as the commuter programs for transit. Most cities are getting into it with the huge increase in bike sharing going on. I'm amazed at the hundreds of our blue Divvy bikes I see all over the downtown area every day.

http://divvybikes.com/

Chicago's is still very young, it only started in July. It's been compared a lot to DC's system, as that had been the second largest in the country until Chicago passed it last month (just 2.5 months into operation). NYC's is still much larger. Chicago's has gotten over 9,000 members in less than 3 months and has around 6,500 trips per day. Chicago's daily ridership got past DC's in only 2.5 months, to a level it took DC a few years to achieve. Biking has been a huge thing around here for years though, and the city is installing dozens of miles of protected/separated bike lanes. It just needed the sharing system to be in place....the bikers were already there waiting. Chicago just passed its 300th station installed downtown and within about a 5 mile radius of downtown. They're outsid dozens of train stations and then about every 1/4 mile along main streets. People use them to bridge the gap between train stations and their homes, and then to just go directly from their neighborhood station to the downtown area (which has dozens of stations all packed fairly close).

Last edited by Chicago60614; 10-23-2013 at 03:43 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 04:27 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,425,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ might as well take advantage of the bike sharing programs as far as the commuter programs for transit. Most cities are getting into it with the huge increase in bike sharing going on. I'm amazed at the hundreds of our blue Divvy bikes I see all over the downtown area every day.

Divvy Bikes | Your bike sharing system in Chicago

Chicago's is still very young, it only started in July. It's been compared a lot to DC's system, as that had been the second largest in the country until Chicago passed it last month (just 2.5 months into operation). NYC's is still much larger. Chicago's has gotten over 9,000 members in less than 3 months and has around 6,500 trips per day. Chicago's daily ridership got past DC's in only 2.5 months, to a level it took DC a few years to achieve. Biking has been a huge thing around here for years though, and the city is installing dozens of miles of protected/separated bike lanes. It just needed the sharing system to be in place....the bikers were already there waiting. Chicago just passed its 300th station installed downtown and within about a 5 mile radius of downtown. They're outsid dozens of train stations and then about every 1/4 mile along main streets. People use them to bridge the gap between train stations and their homes, and then to just go directly from their neighborhood station to the downtown area (which has dozens of stations all packed fairly close).
I know Ventra is already sucking a lot, but I thought it'd be nice if part of the new CTA/PACE card would also be usable for Divvy and/or there could be commuter subsidies for using Divvy like there often are with the El/Metra/bus etc. I suppose one could use the Ventra card to pay for Divvy since it can also function as a debit card, but I think it'd be useful if the bikeshare program were included in the whole commuter package.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,889,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I know Ventra is already sucking a lot, but I thought it'd be nice if part of the new CTA/PACE card would also be usable for Divvy and/or there could be commuter subsidies for using Divvy like there often are with the El/Metra/bus etc. I suppose one could use the Ventra card to pay for Divvy since it can also function as a debit card, but I think it'd be useful if the bikeshare program were included in the whole commuter package.
I found the Ventra system to be pretty easy to use. Much easier than our TAP system in Los Angeles, which still has quite a few kinks to work out.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,425,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I found the Ventra system to be pretty easy to use. Much easier than our TAP system in Los Angeles, which still has quite a few kinks to work out.
Yeah they just royally effed up the rollout here.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,728,043 times
Quote:
NYC's is still much larger. Chicago's has gotten over 9,000 members in less than 3 months and has around 6,500 trips per day. Chicago's daily ridership got past DC's in only 2.5 months, to a level it took DC a few years to achieve. Biking has been a huge thing around here for years though, and the city is installing dozens of miles of protected/separated bike lanes. It just needed the sharing system to be in place....the bikers were already there waiting. Chicago just passed its 300th station installed downtown and within about a 5 mile radius of downtown.
While NYC system is probably as big as all the other bikeshare systems combined in ridership (don't know the official numbers), it is still very new. We only have 330 stations in NYC (Phase 1) and it only covers half of Manhattan (below 59th street). We wouldn't know the true extent of NYC system until they roll out Phases 2 & 3.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 AM

13,741 posts, read 15,813,282 times
Quote:

Divvy Bikes | Your bike sharing system in Chicago

Yeah, DC didn't roll out a huge system. The growth has been more organic. The stations are going up regionally now though. Almost all the suburbs are adding stations around their metro stations and surrounding neighborhoods with study's ongoing. I know that isn't something that would work in most cities that don't have a subway system that goes into the suburbs but for those areas that do, it will revolutionize how regions travel and just give metro areas more options versus just the city center. I guess that would have to coincide with master planning though since I know most regions don't plan to urbanize everywhere and would like to just keep their urbanity in the city center. Will be interesting to see if other regions begin to do it though. I don't know how well these would work with commuter rail since it would not be used all day without the employment base. I know for DC, our metro stations tend to be more mixed use with jobs and residential in our suburbs. Most stations without jobs have plans to add them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City