Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I don't know exact numbers, but Chicago proper is 2.7M, I would guess roughly 200-300k are serviced outside the city. So roughly 3M total.

Obviously Chicagoland is much larger than greater Washington, but the CTA does nothing for people in dupage, lake, will and a good portion of cook county. While those counties have access to metra, I think we can agree most if not all metra riders are choice riders.

I already said Chicago has more riders in raw numbers which it should. There are over 9 million people in Chicago. The real question is will DC pass Chicago in raw numbers by 2030? With the transit upgrades moving in the DC region and the major shift to urban walkable living region wide, it will be interesting to see how much longer Chicago stays in front of DC by shear ridership numbers. The largest BRT system in the country is moving in Montgomery County and Virginia is finishing the Silver Line and adding their own street car lines and BRT bus system. DC is adding the 37 mile 8 line streetcar network. This will be an interesting couple of years. DC is obviously well ahead of Chicago in ridership share so that's not up for debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,953,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I already said Chicago has more riders in raw numbers which it should. There are over 9 million people in Chicago. The real question is will DC pass Chicago in raw numbers by 2030? With the transit upgrades moving in the DC region and the major shift to urban walkable living region wide, it will be interesting to see how much longer Chicago stays in front of DC by shear ridership numbers. The largest BRT system in the country is moving in Montgomery County and Virginia is finishing the Silver Line and adding their own street car lines and BRT bus system. DC is adding the 37 mile 8 line streetcar network. This will be an interesting couple of years. DC is obviously well ahead of Chicago in ridership share so that's not up for debate.
We shall see. I do believe DC is the current model for new urbanism/TOD and I hope Chicago looks to DC as it further develops its own infrastructure

Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I don't know exact numbers, but Chicago proper is 2.7M, I would guess roughly 200-300k are serviced outside the city. So roughly 3M total.

Obviously Chicagoland is much larger than greater Washington, but the CTA does nothing for people in dupage, lake, will and a good portion of cook county. While those counties have access to metra, I think we can agree most if not all metra riders are choice riders.
I already opinted out he was using MSA numbers... Chicago is NOT 4 mil behind Washington... it's merely 600k behind.

On the other hand, I will go with that, but please DC posters, NEVER BRING IN YOUR CSA TOTALS AGAIN. FOR OTHER THREADS. YOU CANT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS WHENEVER IT SUITS YOU BETTER.

Quote:
DC CSA is 8.9 mil... the outer burbs of Chicago function no differently...

Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,839 times
I believe DC has a very large ridership.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The amount of people that are choice riders is Chicago's problem. People like their cars more in the Chicago region wide than DC. The sustainability goals are different in the two region's.
Agreed, however, that doesn't effect what is the busiest transit system....
Portland for instance is all eco friendly and sustainable... but can you compare Portland to DC or Chicago? No way.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I already opinted out he was using MSA numbers... Chicago is NOT 4 mil behind Washington... it's merely 600k behind.

On the other hand, I will go with that, but please DC posters, NEVER BRING IN YOUR CSA TOTALS AGAIN. FOR OTHER THREADS. YOU CANT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS WHENEVER IT SUITS YOU BETTER.

DC CSA is 8.9 mil... the outer burbs of Chicago function no differently...

We would have to add Baltimore transit ridership if we use CSA numbers.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:03 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,665 times
More facts and figures from each agencies websites, to digest and argue

DC Metro: http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/docs/metrofacts.pdf
  • Total Rail Trips 2011 - About 217M
  • Total Bus - 124 M
  • Service Area - Metrorail and Metrobus serve a population of 3.5 million within a 1,500 square-mile area.
CTA: _http://www.transitchicago.com/about/facts.aspx
  • Note: they only posted 2010 numbers
  • Total Rail Trips 2010 - About 210M
  • Total Bus - 306M
  • Service Area - Service Population 3.8 Million (Based on 2000 Census), Chicago and 40 suburbs.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM

303 posts, read 579,827 times
DC metro rail ridership is higher than Chicago. Both are high , both hold 2nd and 3rd in ridership. But Chicago bus system blows DC out the water.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,806,078 times
How has a pretty simple and straightforward thread gone off course?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
We would have to add Baltimore transit ridership if we use CSA numbers.
Would have no problem with that, I doubt it adds on much, and DC is still ahead in ridership, but to say DC is almost double in Chicago in population ridership is not the real picture. You add only 48,999 to rail ridership from Baltimore subway (probably some other systems there also) and add on the 3-4 million folks that are there in reality, plenty of them driving in, going to park and rides, and already adding onto those DC totals... Driving around DC metro this summer I saw quite a few park and rides, which I'm sure connect into DC, then subsequently get on the wmata to connect again to their offices. They are high b/c you have those additional 3-4 million folks in the area. That ~50k is similar to outside areas in the Chi Burbs but DC metro is multipolar.

They are both the 2-3 no matter how you look at it though, there is definitely a gap from NYC, then a gap from Chi/DC ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City