Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,505 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've narrowed down to these two cities but not sure which one to go with.

I am currently expecting my 3rd child and am looking for a nice, family-oriented place to raise my children but still has a decent amount of activities. It is me, my husband, our 7 year old daughter and 17 year old son. Good schools, both public and colleges/universities are something we are looking for. We've visited Columbia once and thought it was a nice, charming little town to raise a family. We just got back from Raleigh and we're all loving it!

Before making a final decision, I thought I'd listen to others opinions about the two. Please be respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 04:25 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Raleigh's definitely bigger, growing faster, and offers pretty much everything Columbia does plus more. It's known for having some of the best public schools in the nation and the selection of colleges/universities in the area is broader and they generally rank higher. Columbia does well for itself and can compete pretty favorably with most cities in its tier, but Raleigh is pretty much in another category.

As a native SC'er, I'm biased towards Columbia but pound for pound, Raleigh outperforms it in most categories. Like I said, it's in a different tier.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,030,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Raleigh's definitely bigger, growing faster, and offers pretty much everything Columbia does plus more. It's known for having some of the best public schools in the nation and the selection of colleges/universities in the area is broader and they generally rank higher. Columbia does well for itself and can compete pretty favorably with most cities in its tier, but Raleigh is pretty much in another category.

As a native SC'er, I'm biased towards Columbia but pound for pound, Raleigh outperforms it in most categories. Like I said, it's in a different tier.
Agree w/pretty much everything Mutiny says. For us, we chose Columbia because it was a bit smaller which we liked, and because of it's proximity to the beach & mountains along w/a little milder climate - of course the flip side to that is it gets a bit hotter in the summer here than in Raleigh.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,232,838 times
And in Raleigh you see snow almost every year! Also top notch museums between here and Durham. Also the cities greenway biking/park system is splendid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City